Church Announces "Roll Your Own" Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church Announces "Roll Your Own" Program

Apparently, the new youth programs are in beta testing.

The new initiative will allow local leaders and families to customize their weekday activities, service opportunities, camps and other outdoor activities to meet the needs of children and youth rather than prescribed requirements.
    I feel this completely misses the point of the "prescribed requirements," because checking off requirements was never supposed to be the end goal. I'll hold off on more murmuring, though, until we get training for implementing the initiative. I'm not holding my breath on training actually rolling out, because this all feels very loosey-goosey "leave it to the families and local leaders to figure out what to do and how to do it."

More details will be available at ChildrenAndYouth.ChurchofJesusChrist.org as they become available.
    Last edited by LVAllen; 04-29-2019, 01:51 PM.

Originally posted by LVAllen View Post

I feel this completely misses the point of the "prescribed requirements," because checking off requirements was never supposed to be the end goal. I'll hold off on more murmuring, though, until we get training for implementing the initiative. I'm not holding my breath on training actually rolling out, because this all feels very loosey-goosey "leave it to the families and local leaders to figure out what to do and how to do it."

More details will be available at ChildrenAndYouth.ChurchofJesusChrist.org as they become available.
    Who is going to take the time to type in that big URL?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Super disappointed in this thread. I thought for sure the church had finally decided to allow what my uncle did, in rolling his own cigarettes. He always claimed it was both cheaper and better than the Winston Reds, my dad smoked

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
        Super disappointed in this thread. I thought for sure the church had finally decided to allow what my uncle did, in rolling his own cigarettes. He always claimed it was both cheaper and better than the Winston Reds, my dad smoked

I see you have Prince Albert in a can. When are you planning on letting him out?

Comment

I see you have Prince Albert in a can. When are you planning on letting him out?
          lol. haven't heard that in decades.

answer: as soon as I catch my (running) refrigerator.
          Last edited by Art Vandelay; 04-29-2019, 04:28 PM.

Comment

lol. haven't heard that in decades. as soon as I catch my (running) refrigerator.
            Caller i.d. pretty much put an end to all the stupid crank calls we did when were kids. Tender mercies.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              Caller i.d. pretty much put an end to all the stupid crank calls we did when were kids. Tender mercies.
              Im sure someone knows the answer, and has an explanation for the difference. Is the correct term "crank" or "prank". I've heard, and used both, somewhat interchangeably.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                Im sure someone knows the answer, and has an explanation for the difference. Is the correct term "crank" or "prank". I've heard, and used both, somewhat interchangeably.
                Was in Provo this last week - drove by the old neighborhood - looked at the wires crossing the road where we used to hang darkened eggs at the perfect windshield height. Direct hit every egg. Pretty sure those were pranks - being differentiated from my crank phone calls as "Detective Jim Anderson from the IRS."
                Last edited by clackamascoug; 04-29-2019, 04:53 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

This should teach you to fish for an answer:

http://bfy.tw/NRRg
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

The churches I know of with successful youth programs, have either paid youth pastors or professional ordained clergy, like nuns and priests, to dedicate themselves full-time to programming that fulfills, educates, edifies, and entertains the youth they serve. It'll be interesting to see how the Church competes with unpaid lay leaders.
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      The churches I know of with successful youth programs, have either paid youth pastors or professional ordained clergy, like nuns and priests, to dedicate themselves full-time to programming that fulfills, educates, edifies, and entertains the youth they serve. It'll be interesting to see how the Church competes with unpaid lay leaders.
                      Yeah, there are a lot of churches here that have their "vacation bible camp" and such during the summer for kids. With scout camp going away I guess I'll just send my young son to programming camp that the local university (UT-D) does in the summers.

Hey, you should get your college to create camps for all these displaced LDS kids so they have something to do during the summer months!
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                        Yeah, there are a lot of churches here that have their "vacation bible camp" and such during the summer for kids. With scout camp going away I guess I'll just send my young son to programming camp that the local university (UT-D) does in the summers.

Hey, you should get your college to create camps for all these displaced LDS kids so they have something to do during the summer months!
                        My kids did Youth Conference down at Snow college last year. They did not enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Is scout camp going away? I would think we'll still do some form of camping with the youth; just not call it 'scout' camp.

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                          My kids did Youth Conference down at Snow college last year. They did not enjoy it.
                          That's unfortunate. We went to Ricks a couple of times for youth conference (when I was a youth), and had a blast. It all depends on how it's organized and what activities there are.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                            Is scout camp going away? I would think we'll still do some form of camping with the youth; just not call it 'scout' camp.

That's unfortunate. We went to Ricks a couple of times for youth conference (when I was a youth), and had a blast. It all depends on how it's organized and what activities there are.
                            The nice thing is that now my son won't consider going to Snow. Now if we can just convince him that partying at Dixie St. isn't worth it. He is borderline for admission to BYU, so he should have lots of good choices.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                              Is scout camp going away? I would think we'll still do some form of camping with the youth; just not call it 'scout' camp..
                              There are a good number of BSA scout camps in and around the DFW area that are pretty nice thanks to large donors like Ross Perot and such. Those will be going away and the youth won't have access to them any more. The camp the girls go to up in Oklahoma doesn't have near the "toys" and related facilities (e.g., sail boats, shooting ranges, etc). It is totally not even close to the LDS girls camp up in Heber City. Therefore, when the LDS church pulls out of the BSA I assume we will be losing access to a lot of good camp facilities and equipment. So I assume that for all practical purposes summer camp will be going away for the LDS kids around here unless they want to go camp in a van down by river and shoot cans with a BB gun or something...

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X