New CoJCoLDS Hymnbook and Children's Songbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CoJCoLDS Hymnbook and Children's Songbook

What songs are you hoping they keep? Which ones do you want to see fall by the wayside? Anything not in the current editions that you'd like to see added?

The Music Submission Content Guidelines for new music may also give us a window into what existing music they are thinking to keep/add:

Music Submission Content Guidelines

Hymnbook and Children’s Songbook Revision

The contribution of hymns and songs that teach the gospel of Jesus Christ is immeasurable. The sacred music of the
    Church can have a powerful effect on the minds and hearts of members worldwide—inviting the Spirit into their
    lives and bringing them closer to their Savior. We are grateful for the many powerful hymns and songs that have
    already been submitted by members worldwide, and for those who have not yet submitted music, the following
    guidelines and points of emphasis may help invite additional inspiration. Petition your Heavenly Father for help as
    you give consecrated effort of your time and talents, your gifts and your love, and He will bless you with wisdom and
    understanding as you help to build His kingdom in this important way.

GENERAL GUIDELINES

• Sacred music is most effective when it:
    1. Increases faith in and worship of our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.
    2. Teaches core doctrine with power and clarity.
    3. Invites joyful singing at home and at church.
    4. Comforts the weary and inspires members to endure in faith.
    5. Unifies members throughout the Church.

• Writers can use the scriptures and messages from modern prophets for inspiration. Hymns and songs
    emphasizing the doctrinal points listed below are especially encouraged.
    • Instead of just teaching about Church doctrine and principles, texts can invite a personal connection to the topic,
    with language that includes all members regardless of culture, level of spirituality, and life situation.
    • Hymns and songs should present gospel truths in a positive, hopeful light and not make members feel burdened
    with more to do.
    • Texts should avoid obscure words and phrases and difficult Church jargon.
    • In addition to music and text that appeals to adults or to children, tunes and messages that will strengthen and
    appeal to youth are also encouraged.
    • Music composed in traditional styles (similar to previously requested and published pieces) and in more modern or
    culturally varied styles, which may resonate with the Church’s increasingly diverse membership, will be considered.
    • Hymns that invite unison singing and those that invite part singing are both encouraged.

DOCTRINAL POINTS OF EMPHASIS

• Praise and Worship—We should honor our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, through regular,
    meaningful praise and worship.

• The Atonement of Jesus Christ—The Atonement of Jesus Christ overcomes the effects of the Fall of Adam and Eve.
    ◦ Jesus Christ conquered spiritual death and paid the price for sin; He offers us mercy and peace as we repent
    and come unto Him in faith.
    ◦ Jesus Christ conquered physical death; we can rejoice in knowing that all of us will be resurrected and
    live forever.
    ◦ Jesus Christ suffered every mortal pain, temptation, and affliction; as we place our trust in Him, He will
    strengthen us to endure the trials of mortality.
    ◦ Jesus Christ offers grace to help us change and become like Him. We can humbly ask God to bless and help us
    as we seek to develop Christlike attributes.

• The Plan of Happiness—We will find lasting joy as we follow our Heavenly Father’s plan for us.
    ◦ God invites us to walk in His covenant path, which marks our way back to Him.
    ◦ We bind ourselves to Jesus Christ by receiving essential ordinances and by making and keeping sacred
    covenants.
    ◦ We can show our love for Heavenly Father by obeying His commandments.
    ◦ We can choose to be happy and grateful, even during times of trial.

• Gospel Learning and Revelation—We can seek spiritual knowledge and receive personal revelation for our lives.
    ◦ We can receive answers to gospel questions through the Holy Ghost, who will teach us the truth, guide and
    protect us, and help us live righteously.
    ◦ We can move forward in faith as we strengthen our own personal testimonies.
    ◦ Gospel learning is centered in the home through regular individual and family scripture study and prayer.
    ◦ Temples are holy places of worship and learning where we can receive peace and revelation.

• The Family of God—As beloved spirit sons and daughters of Heavenly Parents, we are all members of the family
    of God, and each of us has a divine identity and purpose.
    ◦ We have a responsibility to minister in love to our brothers and sisters.
    ◦ Jesus Christ will help us speak, act, and serve as He would.

• Our Families—“Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the
    Lord Jesus Christ” (“The Family: A Proclamation to the World”).
    ◦ Jesus Christ has given sacred responsibilities to mothers and fathers.

• Priesthood Power and Authority—Jesus Christ’s priesthood power and priesthood authority are given to
    women and men as they unitedly participate in the work of salvation. All of us—including girls and boys—are
    blessed through God’s priesthood.

• The Restoration of the Gospel—We are blessed to live in the time of the Restoration of the gospel of
    Jesus Christ.
    ◦ Jesus Christ restored His Church through Joseph Smith.
    ◦ The Book of Mormon is another witness of Jesus Christ. It confirms the truths found in the Holy Bible. We can
    read and ponder its teachings and then pray to God to know of its truth by the power of the Holy Ghost.
    ◦ Jesus Christ continues to direct His Church through living prophets.

• The Gathering of Israel—Jesus Christ has invited us to participate in the gathering of Israel on both sides of
    the veil.
    ◦ We have been promised blessings as we participate in the redemption of the dead through family history work
    and temple worship.
    ◦ We have been promised blessings as we share the gospel with all of God’s children.

• The Sabbath Day—We show our Heavenly Father that we love Him by keeping His Sabbath day holy.

• The Second Coming—Jesus Christ will come to the earth again to rule and reign.
    ◦ Although the last days will be filled with wickedness and difficulty, living the gospel of Jesus Christ gives us
    strength. As disciples of Jesus Christ we can stand in holy places and need not fear.
    ◦ We can rejoice in Jesus Christ’s assurance of deliverance: “I shall come in my glory in the clouds of heaven, to
    fulfil the promises that I have made unto your fathers” (Doctrine and Covenants 45:16).
    ◦ As we help to build the kingdom of God on the earth, we prepare ourselves and others for Jesus Christ’s return.
    https://www.lds.org/bc/content/ldsor...PD60008660_000 MusicSubmission.pdf?lang=eng

What do you think of the doctrinal points of emphasis?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    • Priesthood Power and Authority—Jesus Christ’s priesthood power and priesthood authority are given to
    women and men as they unitedly participate in the work of salvation
    . All of us—including girls and boys—are
    blessed through God’s priesthood.
    Interesting.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Get rid of Adam-ondi-Ahman. I hate that song. Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing should have never been removed and needs to be added back.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

I wonder if we're going to see some Southern Gospel types of songs, or songs with from European, African, or Asian flavors.

And I hope they restore the bass lines of retained hymns to what was in the 1948 hymnbook and not the 1985 versions. They kicked a lot of them up an octave and I can't sing them that way, so I still sing the old bass lines.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
          I wonder if we're going to see some Southern Gospel types of songs, or songs with from European, African, or Asian flavors.

And I hope they restore the bass lines of retained hymns to what was in the 1948 hymnbook and not the 1985 versions. They kicked a lot of them up an octave and I can't sing them that way, so I still sing the old bass lines.
          Examples?
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            Interesting.
            Oaks covered this in detail a few conferences ago. It's not what you (and I) are hoping--yet. It's a step in the direction it needs to go.

Comment

But they also changed keys on some fo those which precipitated the octave change. I hope they bring back the old keys. If you cant handle four flats then maybe you shouldnt be accompanying!
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Bring back Amazing Grace

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  Get rid of Adam-ondi-Ahman. I hate that song. Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing should have never been removed and needs to be added back.
                  Until Mack did his arrangement Come Thou Fount was very unpopular. It is not a great congregational hymn and by itself is not the greatest choral piece. However with the flair given to it by Mack's arrangement it has come back into favor within the church. I suspect it will be back and am curious how it does as a congregational hymn.

I understand the project to be to create a universal book so it should have some influence from various cultures. However I also read that there is going to be a rather sizable digital collection to enhance the new books that include the more regional fare.
                  It's like I tell my son who does not like to sing above a B, every bass can sing up to at least an E with proper technique.

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  But they also changed keys on some fo those which precipitated the octave change. I hope they bring back the old keys. If you cant handle four flats then maybe you shouldnt be accompanying!
                  You are right that it was mostly to simplify accompanying with easier keys and less counterpoint.

Originally posted by ScoopJahoop View Post
                  Bring back Amazing Grace
                  Agreed, and I think it has a good chance. Almost a guarantee that Pres. Nelson's hymn is added as well. I have set a couple Isaac Watts texts to music that I am playing with submitting, with the clear understanding that I stand about the same chance that Eminem has of being added to the new book. But it has still been a fun exercise.
                  “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Copelius View Post

I understand the project to be to create a universal book so it should have some influence from various cultures.
                    Maybe they'll include "Los peces en el río" translated into English. It's a villancico in Spanish, and it's awesome. This is my favorite version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zv0eDhQLOk
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

As long as they keep "In Our Lovely Deseret" I'm good.

Comment

It's like I tell my son who does not like to sing above a B, every bass can sing up to at least an E with proper technique.
                        I'm with your son on that; B is about as high as I can manage on an early morning. And for a congregational hymn i'm not sure I really want to worry about proper technique, although it'd be interesting to learn.

Comment

I'm with your son on that; B is about as high as I can manage on an early morning. And for a congregational hymn i'm not sure I really want to worry about proper technique, although it'd be interesting to learn.
                          I understand. Sunday mornings singing Wilberg cadences can be challenging even with good technique. The really short lesson is to sit tall, relax everything above your shoulders, and use your lower abdomen to push the air through the voice box. Counterintuitively you should not see or feel your lungs expanding or contracting but your diaphragm should cause your belly to expand as it is used for inhalation and your lower abdominal muscles right above your groin should cause the exhalation. All the while the inside your mouth should feel almost excessively open which creates resonance space.

There are other things but that is basic singing technique that will help your range and sound for your purposes. It is pretty amazing how simple it sounds but how hard it is to master, something I am nowhere near.
                          “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

I understand. Sunday mornings singing Wilberg cadences can be challenging even with good technique. The really short lesson is to sit tall, relax everything above your shoulders, and use your lower abdomen to push the air through the voice box. Counterintuitively you should not see or feel your lungs expanding or contracting but your diaphragm should cause your belly to expand as it is used for inhalation and your lower abdominal muscles right above your groin should cause the exhalation. All the while the inside your mouth should feel almost excessively open which creates resonance space.

There are other things but that is basic singing technique that will help your range and sound for your purposes. It is pretty amazing how simple it sounds but how hard it is to master, something I am nowhere near.
                            Thanks. I knew most of that from high school choir, but don't normally bother, and as you say, it's easier to say than do.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              Examples?
                              It's an old thread, but I couldn't find examples at the time. From time to time I paid attention to songs we sang in sacrament meeting that had different/better bass lines in the old 1948 hymnbook, and just stuck the programs in a jacket pocket. Here are the ones I collected. Pelado, it's your fault that this is a long post. 1948 songs are on the left, 1985 on the right.

Behold The Great Redeemer Die - combined.jpg

He Died! The Great Redeemer Died - combined.jpg

High on the Mountain Top - combined.jpg

Hope of Israel - combined.jpg

How Great the Wisdom and the Love - combined.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X