Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark Pope is the new BYU men's basketball coach.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Pope is the new BYU men's basketball coach.

To be introduced at 3PM.

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
    To be introduced at 3PM.

Sweet! Woohoo!

Comment

Big meh for me. But he's got some experience, he's motivated, and has developed recruiting and coaching connections. If I'm betting on expected record over the next five years Pope vs Rose, I'd probably take Pope, based on motivation. Rose seemed burned out.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        Big meh for me. But he's got some experience, he's motivated, and has developed recruiting and coaching connections. If I'm betting on expected record over the next five years Pope vs Rose, I'd probably take Pope, based on motivation. Rose seemed burned out.
        It's not often that BYU hires experienced coaches. He was the obvious, safe and, most qualified candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          Take to heart the fact that historically BYU has enjoyed taking a step up in the first year with every coaching change since Andersen replaced Arnold in 1983. A good example of that was 1990 where the previous year we only won 14 games and lost the best player, Michael Smith to the NBA draft lottery. The team was expected by everyone to stink the next year and take last in the league, but instead won the WAC and made the NCAA tournament with the same players, minus Smith. I think Rose was tired, as he stated in his press conference, and there can be a lot more done with the players already there than what we were getting. And I say that even though I loved Coach Rose and thought he did a fine job over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
            It's not often that BYU hires experienced coaches. He was the obvious, safe and, most qualified candidate.
            yeah, like never, except Ladell Andersen -- at least not with D1 head coaching experience. Pope was also considered to be a fantastic recruiter while at BYU. I'm happy for BYU that they got the guy they wanted. It would have sucked to have to realize they were going to be turned down by the coach at UVU as some had rumored. Maybe things will turn out to be not as bad as some people fear.
            Last edited by BlueK; 04-10-2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
              yeah, like never, except Ladell Andersen -- at least not with D1 head coaching experience. Pope was also considered to be a fantastic recruiter while at BYU. I'm happy for BYU that they got the guy they wanted. It would have sucked to have to realize they were going to be turned down by the coach at UVU as some had rumored. Maybe things will turn out to be not as bad as some people fear.
              He wasn't exactly overpaid at UVU (from what I hear), so financially I think we could outbid them. Fingers crossed that this works out.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

I am totally fine with this hire.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Like most everyone else, I thought this was the most likely move from the beginning. I like his varied experience:

- Running his own D-1 program (won't just be learning on the job)
                  - Assistant coach at BYU (understands challenges unique to BYU)
                  - Assistant coach at other schools (has exposure to how other coaches/programs do things)
                  - Playing experience and a national championship at Kentucky (can relate to recruits who want to play at the pinnacle of the sport)
                  - Playing experience at Washington (can relate to recruits who want to play in the Pac 12)

It's not a particularly sexy hire, but considering the card-carrying requirement, probably is as good as we could have expected.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Weird presser.

Pope is odd.

He never mentioned the church which is as positive.

Burgess is on the staff.

Finalists were actually Pope and Barrett Peery.

Pope not obligated to keep any BYU assistants, his staff is already pretty much in place he said.
                    *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      Weird presser.

Pope is odd.

He never mentioned the church which is as positive.

Burgess is on the staff.

Finalists were actually Pope and Barrett Peery.

Pope not obligated to keep any BYU assistants, his staff is already pretty much in place he said.
                      He referenced the church multiple times without explicitly using the word "church": I thought I heard an "all this place represents" in there, along with "beacon set on a hill," "special place like no other," "it would mean more (for him) to win there than any other place"...The last one especially makes no sense to say for someone who didn't play at or go to BYU. The church is the only thing that would tie that together. IMO, he brought his religion into it in the best way he could in that setting.

I agree he comes across a little odd, but in a gym rat, single minded, "basketball is life" Kind of way, which is nice to have in a basketball coach.
                      Last edited by BlueK; 04-11-2019, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                        He referenced the church multiple times without explicitly using the word "church": I thought I heard an "all this place represents" in there, along with beacon set on a hill, special place like no other, it would mean more to him to win there than any other place...The last one especially makes no sense to say for someone who didn't play at or go to BYU. The church is the only thing that would tie that together. IMO, he brought his religion into it in the best way he could in that setting.

I agree he comes across a little odd, but in a gym rat, single minded, "basketball is life" Kind of way, which is nice to have in a basketball coach.
                        I agree with that. He kept talking about 24/7 work ethic. Like to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        *Banned*

Comment

Burgess is a Cougar! Take that Reid!
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't believe BYU could have done better so it makes sense. Next year should be a rough year with how empty the cupboard is.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              Burgess is a Cougar! Take that Reid!
                              I think that is what he wanted all along.

Comment

Working...
                              X