Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark Pope is the new BYU men's basketball coach.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Yes
    I have read the NCAA findings against Utah but not BYU. I suspect that one will be equally confusing.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• BYU needs to stop putting up with the NCAA's crap. They need to fight this and take them to court if necessary.

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
        BYU needs to stop putting up with the NCAA's crap. They need to fight this and take them to court if necessary.
        My instinct is there is more to the story than what is being told by BYU.
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
          My instinct is there is more to the story than what is being told by BYU.
          Most likely it was that Yoeli was a little careless with the paperwork and didn't care much at the time he hired his agent because at the time he had no real plans to come back to school anyway.
          Last edited by BlueK; 08-12-2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
            Most likely it was that Yoeli was a little careless with the paperwork and didn't care much at the time he hired his agent because at the time he had no real plans to come back to school anyway.
            I don't know what happened but while I am not a fan of all things NCAA I believe there were some mistakes that were more critical, and likely avoidable, than the party line that in the confusion of the NCAA changing its rules Yoeli was victim of signing the wrong form or genuinely not knowing what to do.

That is not to say that if somebody wants to sue the shit out of the NCAA to get the suspension reduced I wouldn't be willing to contribute to the cause- I want Yoeli to play at any cost but I don't think the NCAA ruling is as capricious as others might feel.
            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
              I don't know what happened but while I am not a fan of all things NCAA I believe there were some mistakes that were more critical, and likely avoidable, than the party line that in the confusion of the NCAA changing its rules Yoeli was victim of signing the wrong form or genuinely not knowing what to do.

That is not to say that if somebody wants to sue the shit out of the NCAA to get the suspension reduced I wouldn't be willing to contribute to the cause- I want Yoeli to play at any cost but I don't think the NCAA ruling is as capricious as others might feel.
              The main problem is that THIS IS A KID WHO WAMTS TO COME BACK TO SCHOOL. It blows my mind that you apply a nine game penalty for a case like that.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

The main problem is that THIS IS A KID WHO WAMTS TO COME BACK TO SCHOOL. It blows my mind that you apply a nine game penalty for a case like that.
                Yeah - that's a great approach if you want to discourage other kids from changing their mind in the future. How many people (agents?) are going to tell kids "You can go back to school if you want to - hopefully the NCAA doesn't suspend you for a third of the season if you do."

Comment

It's absurd. The NCAA should want the best players playing in its leagues as long as they are amateurs. If Yoeli is an amateur for the last 2/3rds of the season, he's an amateur for the first 1/3. Ridiculous.

My other complaint from me is that the NCAA would never do this to one of its favored institutions. The suspension, if any, would be for few enough games that the school could easily schedule around it.

Comment

And it's unwise for the NCAA, as they'll get nothing but bad press for it. I'm sure they'll love it when Jay Bilas can't stop talking about how stupid it is on ESPN during every game BYU is playing in Maui.
                    Last edited by BlueK; 08-12-2019, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• Wow, Jay Bilas apparently knows that there were some within the NCAA who wanted to yank Yoeli's eligibility completely. The 9 games was a compromise.

Comment

Wow, Jay Bilas apparently knows that there were some within the NCAA who wanted to yank Yoeli's eligibility completely. The 9 games was a compromise.
                        Is he tweeting about it?
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          Is he tweeting about it?
                          Yes. well, he tweeted about the suspension and said it was embarrassing for the NCAA.

The part about hearing that some in the NCAA wanted him to lose the entire year was something he said on BYUSN today.
                          Last edited by BlueK; 08-12-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Yes. well, he tweeted about the suspension and said it was embarrassing for the NCAA.

The part about hearing that some in the NCAA wanted him to lose the entire year was something he said on BYUSN today.
                            Thanks - found and listened to it.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                              My other complaint from me is that the NCAA would never do this to one of its favored institutions. The suspension, if any, would be for few enough games that the school could easily schedule around it.
                              This is my main problem as well. There’s no question that the NCAA is beholden to the “power conferences” and applies a double standard to those members that are not in a “power conference.” If the rules were evenly applied, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal to me. But they clearly are not, which is why I think BYU needs to fight this (including seeking a court ordered injunction if necessary). The NCAA is nothing but an anti-competitive cartel designed to maintain and consolidate the power of the “power conferences.” They think they are exempt from antitrust laws because they run a sports league, but they aren’t. I wish someone would have the guts to hold them accountable. BYU certainly has the resources, but are they willing to take a stand? Probably not, unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                              X