Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mark Pope is the new BYU men's basketball coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Wasn't Harward a 4-star guy and WAC Freshman OTY?
    No, that was Lowell.

I met the coaching staff. They are a really compelling group of dudes. I like the words they are saying. I’m hoping they can get strong in-roads into Wasatch. The Bernardo thing doesn’t help but he isn’t really the key to Sissoko anyway. I like the resumes of these coaches. It is a veritable who’s who of coaches in the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    I met the coaching staff. They are a really compelling group of dudes. I like the words they are saying. I’m hoping they can get strong in-roads into Wasatch. The Bernardo thing doesn’t help but he isn’t really the key to Sissoko anyway. I like the resumes of these coaches. It is a veritable who’s who of coaches in the NCAA.
    WTF, they invited you before they invited us ex-players?

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    WTF, they invited you before they invited us ex-players?
    Sorry, I think they are only inviting former players they like.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    Do you agree with the Bernardo move?

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Do you agree with the Bernardo move?
    It’s not what I would have done but I’m not a D-1 coach. I understood that Bernardo was a kid BYU recruited partially on his personal ability and partially as a move to become more trusted by Wasatch Academy. The “mutual” separation doesn’t help that. I think BYU doesn’t get Lohner either. Mady is the best player there right now from an NBA prospect standard so I think whether we get him is the determination of whether anything worked.

Outside of BYU and Gonzaga, I can't think of a single player in the WCC who decided to leave school early in the last 3 years to play pro ball. And it's not like other WCC teams, especially St. Mary's haven't had some non-NBA prospect players who could do fine in Europe. In Gonzaga's case, most if not all of them who have left early, either got drafted or probably had good reason to believe they'd get drafted by an NBA team. I'm thinking the recent phenomenon to leave school with the thought of probably ending up playing in Europe is pretty much not really a thing in NCAA basketball outside of BYU the last few years. That makes me think maybe Pope can have an impact on slowing that down.
    Last edited by BlueK; Yesterday at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Outside of BYU and Gonzaga, I can't think of a single player in the WCC who decided to leave school early in the last 3 years to play pro ball. And it's not like other WCC teams, especially St. Mary's haven't had some non-NBA prospect players who could do fine in Europe. In Gonzaga's case most, if not all of them who have left early, either got drafted or probably had good reason to believe they'd get drafted by an NBA team. I'm thinking the recent phenomenon to leave school with the thought of probably ending up playing in Europe is pretty much not really a thing in NCAA basketball outside of BYU the last few years. That makes me think maybe Pope can have an impact on slowing that down.
    Let's hope so.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Outside of BYU and Gonzaga, I can't think of a single player in the WCC who decided to leave school early in the last 3 years to play pro ball. And it's not like other WCC teams, especially St. Mary's haven't had some non-NBA prospect players who could do fine in Europe. In Gonzaga's case, most if not all of them who have left early, either got drafted or probably had good reason to believe they'd get drafted by an NBA team. I'm thinking the recent phenomenon to leave school with the thought of probably ending up playing in Europe is pretty much not really a thing in NCAA basketball outside of BYU the last few years. That makes me think maybe Pope can have an impact on slowing that down.
    If they aren’t paying them, the kids leave. BYU doesn’t pay. They leave.