Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mark Pope is the new BYU men's basketball coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Wasn't Harward a 4-star guy and WAC Freshman OTY?
    No, that was Lowell.

I met the coaching staff. They are a really compelling group of dudes. I like the words they are saying. I’m hoping they can get strong in-roads into Wasatch. The Bernardo thing doesn’t help but he isn’t really the key to Sissoko anyway. I like the resumes of these coaches. It is a veritable who’s who of coaches in the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    I met the coaching staff. They are a really compelling group of dudes. I like the words they are saying. I’m hoping they can get strong in-roads into Wasatch. The Bernardo thing doesn’t help but he isn’t really the key to Sissoko anyway. I like the resumes of these coaches. It is a veritable who’s who of coaches in the NCAA.
    WTF, they invited you before they invited us ex-players?

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    WTF, they invited you before they invited us ex-players?
    Sorry, I think they are only inviting former players they like.

Do you agree with the Bernardo move?

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Do you agree with the Bernardo move?
    It’s not what I would have done but I’m not a D-1 coach. I understood that Bernardo was a kid BYU recruited partially on his personal ability and partially as a move to become more trusted by Wasatch Academy. The “mutual” separation doesn’t help that. I think BYU doesn’t get Lohner either. Mady is the best player there right now from an NBA prospect standard so I think whether we get him is the determination of whether anything worked.

Outside of BYU and Gonzaga, I can't think of a single player in the WCC who decided to leave school early in the last 3 years to play pro ball. And it's not like other WCC teams, especially St. Mary's haven't had some non-NBA prospect players who could do fine in Europe. In Gonzaga's case, most if not all of them who have left early, either got drafted or probably had good reason to believe they'd get drafted by an NBA team. I'm thinking the recent phenomenon to leave school with the thought of probably ending up playing in Europe is pretty much not really a thing in NCAA basketball outside of BYU the last few years. That makes me think maybe Pope can have an impact on slowing that down.
    Last edited by BlueK; 05-20-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Outside of BYU and Gonzaga, I can't think of a single player in the WCC who decided to leave school early in the last 3 years to play pro ball. And it's not like other WCC teams, especially St. Mary's haven't had some non-NBA prospect players who could do fine in Europe. In Gonzaga's case most, if not all of them who have left early, either got drafted or probably had good reason to believe they'd get drafted by an NBA team. I'm thinking the recent phenomenon to leave school with the thought of probably ending up playing in Europe is pretty much not really a thing in NCAA basketball outside of BYU the last few years. That makes me think maybe Pope can have an impact on slowing that down.
    Let's hope so.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Outside of BYU and Gonzaga, I can't think of a single player in the WCC who decided to leave school early in the last 3 years to play pro ball. And it's not like other WCC teams, especially St. Mary's haven't had some non-NBA prospect players who could do fine in Europe. In Gonzaga's case, most if not all of them who have left early, either got drafted or probably had good reason to believe they'd get drafted by an NBA team. I'm thinking the recent phenomenon to leave school with the thought of probably ending up playing in Europe is pretty much not really a thing in NCAA basketball outside of BYU the last few years. That makes me think maybe Pope can have an impact on slowing that down.
    If they aren’t paying them, the kids leave. BYU doesn’t pay. They leave.

Does that even apply to schools in the WCC? I can accept the unfortunate thought that there is cheating like crazy going on at schools from the top 5 conferences. It seems a little harder to believe it is also happening in our league. But who knows. But just from a resources perspective it seems schools from leagues like the WCC wouldn't have the same type of booster networks or revenues to support a professional team.
    Last edited by BlueK; 05-21-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Does that even apply to schools in the WCC? I can accept the unfortunate thought that there is cheating like crazy going on at schools from the top 5 conferences. It seems a little harder to believe it is also happening in our league. But who knows. But just from a resources perspective it seems schools from leagues like the WCC wouldn't have the same type of booster networks or revenues to support a professional team.
    Our league is not different. They just have fewer alumni.

We paid Emery. Look where that got us. What do you think happened? We're really dumb about how we pay? The NCAA unfairly picked on us?

I think Saint Mary's pays the entire nation of Australia money.

Interesting article below about the mindset of the players over the last few years. Maybe Coach Pope has a more effective way of getting players to buy into team concepts. At least that is how it comes across in what he says and how he talks. We'll see. I think it's clear he was probably squeezing out the max from the talent he had at UVU. Someone on CB commented that some of the same selfish players are still at BYU. But people can also change when a new coach comes in and brings a new approach.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46557434...s-team-success

Interesting article below about the mindset of the players over the last few years. Maybe Coach Pope has a more effective way of getting players to buy into team concepts. At least that is how it comes across in what he says and how he talks. We'll see. I think it's clear he was probably squeezing out the max from the talent he had at UVU. Someone on CB commented that some of the same selfish players are still at BYU. But people can also change when a new coach comes in and brings a new approach.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46557434...s-team-success
    Take this to the bank. No matter the sport, no matter the team, every time there is a coaching change or a new year, there will be a narrative that the old team was selfish or not as unified and the new team is more team based and unified. It's a circle of life thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Take this to the bank. No matter the sport, no matter the team, every time there is a coaching change or a new year, there will be a narrative that the old team was selfish or not as unified and the new team is more team based and unified. It's a circle of life thing.
    Ha. So true.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

True. But it's also a historical fact at BYU at least, that in basketball the team has made an improvement in the new coach's first year. The last time that didn't happen was when Glenn Potter replaced Stan Watts. some of these have been pretty dramatic like when the 14 win team in Andersen's last year lost its best player to the NBA lottery, was picked to finished last but instead won the conference and got to the tournament in Reid's first year, or when Rose replaced Cleveland's 9-win team to immediately win 20 games, again with a team expected to finish at the bottom of the league. I love Rose, but there is no way the current players as a team were playing up to the level they were capable of. In a couple of games they actually did, like when they thumped a very good USU team or against St. Mary's in Provo.
    Last edited by BlueK; 05-23-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Good for BYU.

I don’t think this will be the case when Coach K or Roy Williams retires, but your point still stands. Goes with the honeymoon period too.

We paid Emery. Look where that got us. What do you think happened? We're really dumb about how we pay? The NCAA unfairly picked on us?
    NCAA is self policed and self reported.

Yoeli is back! Coach Pope is the man!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

Criddle isn't very good at finding appropriate gifs

Best news I’ve heard all week!!
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Wow, cool.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

This has the core of a very solid team- a team that I think should make the NCAA tourney. If Nick Emery can be a defensive stopper BYU could be as good as most of the Rose team's until Jimmer's upperclass seasons. No real depth in the post will be a problem although I think Dalton Nixon will be a very solid back up 4 this year, but the starters will be good which is not something BYU has consistently had even on good BYU teams. Bringing either Emery or Wade, Harding and Seljaas off the bench is good for BYU - assuming Wade is what the rumors are claiming. I worry about defense as we have little post defensive presence and our perimeter defenders are likely limited by lack of quickness, save Emery if he accepts the role but I think BYU can go 9 deep fairly well.

A good mix of talent and experience along with the renewed excitement and commitment that comes with change-Pope has set himself up nicely for year 1. I can't really imagine anything else or more he could have done for himself. The talent is there if he can coach it. Good luck to him!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

I agree with you on Emery. I'm not sure if last season's defensive struggles were mindset as much as not being in prime game shape. The way he ran also made me think he was dealing with minor lower back or hip ailments, but I'm no doctor.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I agree with you on Emery. I'm not sure if last season's defensive struggles were mindset as much as not being in prime game shape. The way he ran also made me think he was dealing with minor lower back or hip ailments, but I'm no doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    This has the core of a very solid team- a team that I think should make the NCAA tourney. If Nick Emery can be a defensive stopper BYU could be as good as most of the Rose team's until Jimmer's upperclass seasons. No real depth in the post will be a problem although I think Dalton Nixon will be a very solid back up 4 this year, but the starters will be good which is not something BYU has consistently had even on good BYU teams. Bringing either Emery or Wade, Harding and Seljaas off the bench is good for BYU - assuming Wade is what the rumors are claiming. I worry about defense as we have little post defensive presence and our perimeter defenders are likely limited by lack of quickness, save Emery if he accepts the role but I think BYU can go 9 deep fairly well.

A good mix of talent and experience along with the renewed excitement and commitment that comes with change-Pope has set himself up nicely for year 1. I can't really imagine anything else or more he could have done for himself. The talent is there if he can coach it. Good luck to him!
    I didn’t watch of follow UVU bball enough to get a feel for Pope’s substitution patterns.

The talent level could be even higher when you consider a few things:

I’m curious to see what kind of shape Knell is in. He is a guy who Kansas said they’d offer it didn’t serve a mission and who originally signed with Cal.

It is possible Blaze Nield, a walkon who turned down Montana State, UMBC, and mighty Idaho State to come, finds his way into the rotation. He’s been promised he will get a scholarship at some point. He’s got 3 years to play. He was 40 percent from beyond the arc

I don’t think we know what Kolby Lee can do, as he has been hampered by injuries.