Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Pope is the new BYU men's basketball coach.

Default Mark Pope is the new BYU men's basketball coach.

To be introduced at 3PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    To be introduced at 3PM.

Sweet! Woohoo!

Big meh for me. But he's got some experience, he's motivated, and has developed recruiting and coaching connections. If I'm betting on expected record over the next five years Pope vs Rose, I'd probably take Pope, based on motivation. Rose seemed burned out.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Big meh for me. But he's got some experience, he's motivated, and has developed recruiting and coaching connections. If I'm betting on expected record over the next five years Pope vs Rose, I'd probably take Pope, based on motivation. Rose seemed burned out.
    It's not often that BYU hires experienced coaches. He was the obvious, safe and, most qualified candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Take to heart the fact that historically BYU has enjoyed taking a step up in the first year with every coaching change since Andersen replaced Arnold in 1983. A good example of that was 1990 where the previous year we only won 14 games and lost the best player, Michael Smith to the NBA draft lottery. The team was expected by everyone to stink the next year and take last in the league, but instead won the WAC and made the NCAA tournament with the same players, minus Smith. I think Rose was tired, as he stated in his press conference, and there can be a lot more done with the players already there than what we were getting. And I say that even though I loved Coach Rose and thought he did a fine job over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    It's not often that BYU hires experienced coaches. He was the obvious, safe and, most qualified candidate.
    yeah, like never, except Ladell Andersen -- at least not with D1 head coaching experience. Pope was also considered to be a fantastic recruiter while at BYU. I'm happy for BYU that they got the guy they wanted. It would have sucked to have to realize they were going to be turned down by the coach at UVU as some had rumored. Maybe things will turn out to be not as bad as some people fear.
    Last edited by BlueK; 04-10-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    yeah, like never, except Ladell Andersen -- at least not with D1 head coaching experience. Pope was also considered to be a fantastic recruiter while at BYU. I'm happy for BYU that they got the guy they wanted. It would have sucked to have to realize they were going to be turned down by the coach at UVU as some had rumored. Maybe things will turn out to be not as bad as some people fear.
    He wasn't exactly overpaid at UVU (from what I hear), so financially I think we could outbid them. Fingers crossed that this works out.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

I am totally fine with this hire.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Like most everyone else, I thought this was the most likely move from the beginning. I like his varied experience:

- Running his own D-1 program (won't just be learning on the job)
    - Assistant coach at BYU (understands challenges unique to BYU)
    - Assistant coach at other schools (has exposure to how other coaches/programs do things)
    - Playing experience and a national championship at Kentucky (can relate to recruits who want to play at the pinnacle of the sport)
    - Playing experience at Washington (can relate to recruits who want to play in the Pac 12)

It's not a particularly sexy hire, but considering the card-carrying requirement, probably is as good as we could have expected.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Weird presser.

Pope is odd.

He never mentioned the church which is as positive.

Burgess is on the staff.

Finalists were actually Pope and Barrett Peery.

Pope not obligated to keep any BYU assistants, his staff is already pretty much in place he said.
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Weird presser.

Pope is odd.

He never mentioned the church which is as positive.

Burgess is on the staff.

Finalists were actually Pope and Barrett Peery.

Pope not obligated to keep any BYU assistants, his staff is already pretty much in place he said.
    He referenced the church multiple times without explicitly using the word "church": I thought I heard an "all this place represents" in there, along with "beacon set on a hill," "special place like no other," "it would mean more (for him) to win there than any other place"...The last one especially makes no sense to say for someone who didn't play at or go to BYU. The church is the only thing that would tie that together. IMO, he brought his religion into it in the best way he could in that setting.

I agree he comes across a little odd, but in a gym rat, single minded, "basketball is life" Kind of way, which is nice to have in a basketball coach.
    Last edited by BlueK; 04-11-2019 at 06:45 AM.

He referenced the church multiple times without explicitly using the word "church": I thought I heard an "all this place represents" in there, along with beacon set on a hill, special place like no other, it would mean more to him to win there than any other place...The last one especially makes no sense to say for someone who didn't play at or go to BYU. The church is the only thing that would tie that together. IMO, he brought his religion into it in the best way he could in that setting.

I agree he comes across a little odd, but in a gym rat, single minded, "basketball is life" Kind of way, which is nice to have in a basketball coach.
    I agree with that. He kept talking about 24/7 work ethic. Like to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *Banned*

Burgess is a Cougar! Take that Reid!
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Pre-Historic Man

I don't believe BYU could have done better so it makes sense. Next year should be a rough year with how empty the cupboard is.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Burgess is a Cougar! Take that Reid!
    I think that is what he wanted all along.

Pope doesn't deal in "realistic" expectations. He also wants the team to be "relentless" and "together."

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    I don't believe BYU could have done better so it makes sense. Next year should be a rough year with how empty the cupboard is.
    A truly empty cubpboard was what Steve Cleveland started with.

The talent hasn't been stellar lately, but it's not the reason we didn't show up to play Weber State, or drop late leads against Illinois State or UNLV or USF at home. Those were all losses there was really no excuse for. The talent isn't stellar but mentally the team has been in a strange funk for the last couple of years. I don't directly blame Rose, but something about his last few years was different in terms of attitude and toughness than his teams always played like between 2006 until roughly until the Carlino years. I like what I heard from Coach Pope. I think he will get more out of what is there until he can raise the level of talent.
    Last edited by BlueK; 04-11-2019 at 11:53 AM.

A truly empty cubpboard was what Steve Cleveland had.
    First call Pope makes should be to Yo.
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    First call Pope makes should be to Yo.
    I feel like Yo has been gone for about 2 months. He was already a lot about himself this year and then he got really selfish down the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    I feel like Yo has been gone for about 2 months. He was already a lot about himself this year and then he got really selfish down the stretch.
    Still wouldn't hurt for Pope to try and do a sales job here

Mark Madsen to UVU.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Mark Madsen to UVU.
    Nice. We’ll get an up close look at whether Madsen is a viable option when Pope dominates and moves on for greener pastures in a few years.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Nice. We’ll get an up close look at whether Madsen is a viable option when Pope dominates and moves on for greener pastures in a few years.
    Yep. I like this move a lot.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Still wouldn't hurt for Pope to try and do a sales job here
    I think the best thing he can do for next year is start player development for Baxter. The best thing total he can do for the Y is finish landing Madi Sissoko.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    I think the best thing he can do for next year is start player development for Baxter. The best thing total he can do for the Y is finish landing Madi Sissoko.
    What about the other big from UVU. The fellar with a girlie hair cut who has already played at 3-4 other teams. He started at Directional Michigan I think. Pick up him and Toolsen to fill up the roster with the losses of Yo, Rylan and Jashire. Make Nick be a walk on.

Start:
    Wade
    TJ
    Toolsen/Harding (biggest story of sports redemption since Tiger)
    Baxter
    Other UVU transfer

Off Bench:
    Harding/Toolsen
    Nick
    Seljaas
    Knell
    Da Silva/Nixon
    Lee/Li(^2)
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    What about the other big from UVU. The fellar with a girlie hair cut who has already played at 3-4 other teams. He started at Directional Michigan I think. Pick up him and Toolsen to fill up the roster with the losses of Yo, Rylan and Jashire. Make Nick be a walk on.

Start:
    Wade
    TJ
    Baxter
    Other UVU transfer

Off Bench:
    Harding/Toolsen
    Nick
    Seljaas
    Knell
    Da Silva/Nixon
    Lee/Li(^2)
    Thinking about it, I'm not convinced Toolsen ends up at BYU. He's a better fit at Utah if they have the good sense to go after him.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Thinking about it, I'm not convinced Toolsen ends up at BYU. He's a better fit at Utah if they have the good sense to go after him.
    I don't think he goes to Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

Start:
    Wade
    TJ
    Baxter
    Other UVU transfer

Off Bench:
    Harding/Toolsen
    Nick
    Seljaas
    Knell
    Da Silva/Nixon
    Lee/Li(^2)
    There's some thinking Nick will xfer is he's a walkon this coming year. I hope that's not the case. The player you are talking about is Baylee Steele (a girlie name to go with the haircut). I have no idea if he would be able to be a graduate transfer or not.

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    I don't think he goes to Utah.
    BYU apparently isn't even on his list:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...Fid%3D21563936

You think it's because Goatnapper thinks he should transfer to BYU to come off the bench?
    Last edited by tooblue; 04-16-2019 at 05:05 AM.