general conference april 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
    That’s funny. I follow David Burge — he is a great follow and definitely popular with LDS people.

Comment

The highlight of conference for me...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Man I wish I had that clip for my parents back in '88...
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
          Not aware of Kyle McKay before this conference. His talk was good enough - but I've got the feeling that anything he said in any capacity would motivate people to do their best. Is he a CEO of some company? Anyone know his background?

Never mind - found it - https://www.lds.org/church/news/meet...ts-us?lang=eng

I thought he might be a lawyer. He worked at Miller Nash here in Portland before moving back to Zion.

Lewbowski - did you know him in Japan?
          Nope. It looks like we ended up in separate missions when they split early in 1980.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
            Put your damn phone down so the rest of us don’t get in trouble.
            So that’s why my wife has been super vocal about my phone usage..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got to be honest, I didn't like Holland's talk at all, and it's not simply because of last week's unfortunate events in my ward. Socializing is an important part of church. For some, it's the only significant socialization they get.

And now folks will feel emboldened to judge someone for their apparel, or for talking with a friend before the meeting, or for having a child who is not the epitome of Sunday reverence. Bishoprics will feel pressure to sush the congregation and to sit in silence ten minutes before the meeting starts, putting additional strain on their schedules.

I found Holland's talk to be shallow, focusing on form over substance, which is out of character for him, IMO.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                I've got to be honest, I didn't like Holland's talk at all, and it's not simply because of last week's unfortunate events in my ward. Socializing is an important part of church. For some, it's the only significant socialization they get.

And now folks will feel emboldened to judge someone for their apparel, or for talking with a friend before the meeting, or for having a child who is not the epitome of Sunday reverence. Bishoprics will feel pressure to sush the congregation and to sit in silence ten minutes before the meeting starts, putting additional strain on their schedules.

I found Holland's talk to be shallow, focusing on form over substance, which is out of character for him, IMO.
                I liked it. But...I don't have little kids, I get to Church 20 minutes early and do my chit chatting after Church.

I liked the "Ox and the Mire" stuff. Especially about the spending all day Saturday pushing the Ox into the Mire. I've done a bunch of that in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post

The closing "ITNOgraph" (short for "In The Name Of. . . paragraph") was an all-timer. Like legit 4 sentences long, and included references to food and animals and alcohol (or juice, at least).
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Nope. It looks like we ended up in separate missions when they split early in 1980.
                    He did go to the one true mission - he got there in the year after I came home.

It's weird to think that I'm older than GAs
                    Last edited by happyone; 04-08-2019, 05:45 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post

Holland was definitely channeling SWK in that talk. Not sure how much ammo it will give the Mormon Pharisees among us; that will play out differently in every Stake I suspect. Mormons are great at building community and much of that lifting is done while socializing during our meetings, which have been shortened by an hour. I can see a few Stake Presidents laying down the law about this in the near term, but I doubt it will have much staying power.

However, I would like to see parents shunned into oblivion for not removing noisy kids from Sac. Let your selfish power struggle play out in the foyer please. TIA.

The worst part of Holland's talk was the sexist joke that got loads of laughs from the SLC crowd.
                      "A late pass will always be lovingly granted to those blessed mothers who with children and cheerios and diaper bags... "

Ugh. GFY Brother Holland. We are still a few decades away from true gender equality apparently.
                      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                        Holland was definitely channeling SWK in that talk. Not sure how much ammo it will give the Mormon Pharisees among us; that will play out differently in every Stake I suspect. Mormons are great at building community and much of that lifting is done while socializing during our meetings, which have been shortened by an hour. I can see a few Stake Presidents laying down the law about this in the near term, but I doubt it will have much staying power.

However, I would like to see parents shunned into oblivion for not removing noisy kids from Sac. Let your selfish power struggle play out in the foyer please. TIA.

The worst part of Holland's talk was the sexist joke that got loads of laughs from the SLC crowd.
                        "A late pass will always be lovingly granted to those blessed mothers who with children and cheerios and diaper bags... "

Ugh. GFY Brother Holland. We are still a few decades away from true gender equality apparently.
                        I cringed at that one too.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I had a SP give a similar, but much more pharasiachal, talk when I was a teenager. He said there should be no conversation in the chapel and only whispering in the foyer. It was awkward at church for the next two or three weeks until everyone gave up and went back to being friendly and chatty. Church is much better when people talk to each other and have conversations. The sacrament ordinance is sacred but the chapel in which it takes place isn’t.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            I had a SP give a similar, but much more pharasiachal, talk when I was a teenager. He said there should be no conversation in the chapel and only whispering in the foyer. It was awkward at church for the next two or three weeks until everyone gave up and went back to being friendly and chatty. Church is much better when people talk to each other and have conversations. The sacrament ordinance is sacred but the chapel in which it takes place isn’t.
                            The chapel is a sanctuary within which the sacred ordinance takes place. By definition the chapel is the holist place within our church buildings, in particular when sacrament is not only being passed but prepared.

The way in which you all are twisting Elder Hollands talk is ridiculous, especially coming from a supposed lawyer, who I guarantee doesn't tolerate a lack of professional reverence in his day-to-day business activities.
                            Last edited by tooblue; 04-09-2019, 05:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                              The chapel is a sanctuary within which the sacred ordinance takes place. By definition the chapel is the holist place within our church buildings, in particular when sacrament is not only being passed but prepared.

The way in which you all are twisting Elder Hollands talk is ridiculous, especially coming from a supposed lawyer, who I guarantee doesn't tolerate a lack of professional reverence in his day-to-day business activities.
                              I'm curious how you think I twisted his talk?

Also, you don't spend a lot of time around lawyers, do you?
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

I'm curious how you think I twisted his talk?

Also, you don't spend a lot of time around lawyers, do you?
                                His talk wasn't intended to squash socializing, rather he extolled our collectively ability to socialize and connect with others. What is he asking for, and rightfully so considering the condensed meeting format, was to focus our sacrament service on the sacrament; to stop spending time with announcements no one listens and that can be found in a the program or on social media, to and get directly to renewing our covenants and edifying one another in a reverent sacred manner.

Every Sunday our Ward starts as a Branch and ends as a Ward. It boggles my mind. How hard is it to get to church on time? How hard is it to get there early if you want to socialize? Why can't people socialize after the two hour block is done—why are people in such a rush to leave when just a few months earlier everyone was there for three hours anyways?

Per my experience, such irreverent behaviour isn't tolerated in any other facet of life where there is formal structure put in place to indicate when a meeting starts and ends, and how it is conducted. Do you law types criticize judges for demanding a certain reverence in the courtroom, or amongst yourselves during a deposition? I guarantee you likely still charge a client for your time if they are late to a meeting with you.

This Web site is the only place where I regularly encounter lawyers, so ...

Comment

Working...
                                X