Thread: Violence by White Supremicists on the rise

Default Violence by White Supremicists on the rise

Right-wing violence has been on the rise

The U.S. has seen a rise in violence by white supremacists, including the murders of 11 people at a Pittsburgh Synagogue last fall. There was also a deadly clash at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia in 2017, the murders of nine people at a church in Charleston in 2015 and the deaths of six at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin in 2012...

What investigators have seen is a steady rise in right-wing extremism.

"We're seeing an increase in the propaganda. Again, when we look at their propaganda, they are borrowing propaganda techniques from other terrorist groups," said John Miller, New York's deputy head of counterterrorism.

ISIS inspired its followers online and now white supremacists are doing the same. Far-right attacks in Europe jumped 43 percent between 2016 and 2017. In the U.S., right-wing extremists were linked to at least 50 murders last year, a 35 percent increase over 2017.

"I would say the majority of it is propagated online. In fact this morning after the attacks, I was seeing celebrations of the attacks online on the anti-Muslim hate sites. It's really disgusting," said Ibrahim Hooper, with the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Just last month, Coast Guard Lt. Christopher Hassan was arrested after prosecutors said he was stockpiling weapons for an attack to fuel a race war.

In October, Robert Bowers killed 11 in a Pittsburgh synagogue. He had posted anti-Semitic messages online leading up to the attack.

The alleged shooter in New Zealand mentioned Bowers in his 74-page manifesto as well as Charleston church killer Dylann Roof. He livestreamed his attack in an effort to keep the cycle of violence going.

"All of these guys watch. They watch the reaction, they watch the tactics of those that went before them. And we ought to acknowledge that there is a rise in sort of nationalism around the world," said Fran Townsend, a former White House Homeland Security advisor.

At the White House, President Trump said he did not see white nationalism as a rising global threat. "I think it's a small group of people that have very, very, serious problems," he said.

Currently, the FBI has about 900 active domestic terrorism cases and that includes cases tied to white supremacists.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-zea...cy-2019-03-15/
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Interesting historical article on the roots of white supremacy in America and how it's manifest in today's politics.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...nalism/583258/
    Last edited by BlueK; Yesterday at 08:15 AM.

Then there's this from the NY Times:

The president of the United States suggested last week that his political supporters might resort to violence if they didn’t get their way.

The statement didn’t even get that much attention. I’m guessing you heard a lot more about the college-admissions scandal than about the president’s threat of extralegal violence. So let me tell you a little more about the threat.

In an Oval Office interview with writers from the right-wing news site Breitbart, President Trump began complaining about Paul Ryan. As speaker of the House, Ryan blocked efforts by other House Republicans to subpoena and investigate people on the political left. Trump’s loyal allies in the House “wanted to go tougher,” Trump said, “but they weren’t allowed to by leadership.”

To Trump, the incident was part of a larger problem: “You know, the left plays a tougher game. It’s very funny. I actually think that the people on the right are tougher, but they don’t play it tougher. O.K.? I can tell you I have the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of the Bikers for Trump. I have the tough people, but they don’t play it tough — until they go to a certain point, and then it would be very bad, very bad.”

his wasn’t the first time Trump had mused about violence, of course. He has talked about “Second Amendment people” preventing the appointment of liberal judges. He’s encouraged police officers to bang suspects’ heads against car roofs. He has suggested his supporters “knock the hell” out of hecklers. At a rally shortly before 2018 Election Day, he went on a similar riff about Bikers for Trump and the military.

I’m well aware of the various see-no-evil attempts to excuse this behavior: That’s just how he talks. Don’t take him literally. Other Republicans are keeping him in check. His speeches and tweets don’t really matter.

But they do matter. The president’s continued encouragement of violence — and of white nationalism — is part of the reason that white-nationalist violence is increasing. Funny how that works.

After Trump’s latest threat, I reached out to several experts in democracy and authoritarianism to ask what they made of it. Their answers were consistent: No, the United States does not appear at risk of widespread political violence anytime soon. But Trump’s words are still corroding democracy and public safety..."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/17/o...-violence.html

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post

To Trump, the incident was part of a larger problem: “You know, the left plays a tougher game. It’s very funny. I actually think that the people on the right are tougher, but they don’t play it tougher. O.K.? I can tell you I have the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of the Bikers for Trump. I have the tough people, but they don’t play it tough — until they go to a certain point, and then it would be very bad, very bad.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/17/o...-violence.html
    How is that encouraging violence?

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    It's threatening violence. It he doesn't get his way, these wonderful people might just start perpetrating violence. That is what he is saying. You can't be so dumb you don't see that. Then again you did whine about how the media's "harrassment" of Trump, a man whom supposedly you don't support, should be illegal.
    Last edited by frank ryan; Yesterday at 11:15 AM.

More modern day civil war talk or meming from GOP rep. Steve King. He's one of the worst. After this past election cycle he finally lost committee assignments, but that's too little too late.

Rep. Steve King Shares Violent Civil War Meme

In another reminder of his inability to hold back from sharing offensive ideas and statements, Rep. Steve King of Iowa posted a meme on Saturday to an official Facebook account that seemed to revel in the idea of people in more conservative states killing those in more liberal states in an armed conflict.

“Folks keep talking about another civil war,” the meme said. “One side has about 8 trillion bullets, while the other side doesn’t know which bathroom to use.”

King captioned the image with a smirking emoji. “Wonder who would win….” he wrote.

King has since removed the Facebook post, but many social media users captured it in a screenshot before he decided to do so....

King, a notably racist member of Congress, has in the past openly voiced support for white supremacist ideas. An incomplete list of things he has said and done includes calling white people the “subgroup of people” who have contributed the most to the world; tweeting that “we can’t restore our civilization with somebody else’s babies;” blaming immigrants for ISIS and Ebola; displaying the Confederate flag, despite his state, Iowa, not having been a part of the Confederacy; blaming abortion for killing “millions” of white babies; and complaining that for every child of undocumented immigrants “who’s a valedictorian, there’s another 100 out there who weigh 130 pounds and they’ve got calves the size of cantaloupes because they’re hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert.”

In January, King finally appeared to have crossed a line for his own party when he voiced explicit support for white supremacy. “White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization—how did that language become offensive?” King told the New York Times. “Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?” Soon after he made the statement, his party stripped him of all his committee assignments.

After Saturday’s post, King’s Facebook page went on to share posts mocking feminists for being “confused”; joking that Democrats have literally never solved a problem; for some reason defending the racist YouTube star Pewdiepie along with President Donald Trump and Candace Owens, all of whom were either criticized for fomenting Islamophobia or mentioned in the New Zealand shooter’s manifesto; and arguing prison shanks prove that gun control is pointless.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-war-meme.html
    Last edited by frank ryan; Yesterday at 11:15 AM.

beat the crap out of that guy! I'll pay your legal bills!

Funny that someone actually took him up on that a few weeks later.

He encourages violence, sometimes more directly than others. It's hard to imagine your response is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Then again you did whine about how the media's "harrassment" of Trump, a man whom supposedly you don't support, should be illegal.
    I made no such argument (or "whine"). But I am not surprised that you would interpret it that way as you always take things to the extreme.

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

I take it that you only read the part BlueK quoted and not the whole article.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Trump always talks like a mob boss. "Sure would be a shame if my people got angry if things get too out of hand with the democrats..." "Maybe my 2nd Amendment people would do something about Hilary.."

Can't stand this guy.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"