Religious Narcissists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snowcat View Post
    The media hated Trump, but they could not stop themselves from giving him unbelievable air time. Unbelievably, he became POTUS. When Trump announced his candidacy, a friend expressed his grave concern that he might become president. I assured him that it was highly unlikely that he would.

No dem can get any air time right now because the three freshman hard left wackos get all of the coverage. Does anyone know what Pelosi or Schumer have to say about anything right now? Most of the dem candidates were quick to jump on the AOC green idiocy. Mass shooting in NZ, what did AOC have to say about it. Just because of the coverage they get, these three are actually controlling real power. This is becoming Trump 2.0 and it is scary.
    This is the new reality. YOhio's comments make perfect sense in this context. Political power is no longer just wielded through the cultural gatekeepers. The sense-making apparatus of the past is no more, though it is desperately trying to hang on to it's accumulated power. Money is no longer the only path to power. Attention is the new currency.

AOC is a child of blue.

AOC’s mode of collective intelligence, by contrast, is decisively new media.

The Congresswoman from the Bronx is not a culture warrior trained by and for the broadcast television wars of the 90’s. AOC is an Achilles dipped up to the heel in the Styx of decentralized media. Her style of communication is fluid, continuous and direct. She does not stand above and outside of the conversation, attempting to influence it with authoritative ‘good opinion’. Rather, she is in it — sensing and responding to a “social” that is always present and that is coextensive with her identity.
    AOC will likely behave very differently from the waves of idealistic young Boomer congressmen and women who came to Washington in the 70's through 90’s with big ideas — only to melt into the party machinery. Her power is connected to an entirely different source then the Churchly powers of the DNC. As she experiments with and demonstrates this new power, she will be showing precisely how few clothes the Emperor is wearing.

I expect 2019 to be a year where the struggle for the heart of Blue becomes a central part of the story.

Pity Pelosi and Schumer. Soon, they will be facing a Blue Insurgency, a rising power that they do not understand and against which they have little to no defense. In this context, the attractor of the 2020 election can rapidly accelerate the collapse of the Blue Church as increasingly angry and empowered Millennials learn how to use social media (et al) to cohere many different forms of collective intelligence with which they can simply side-step legacy political and media institutions in the pursuit of power.
    Our cultural landscape is shifting.

And this should all be moved to the AOC thread.

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
      This is the new reality. YOhio's comments make perfect sense in this context. Political power is no longer just wielded through the cultural gatekeepers. The sense-making apparatus of the past is no more, though it is desperately trying to hang on to it's accumulated power. Money is no longer the only path to power. Attention is the new currency.

AOC is a child of blue.

Our cultural landscape is shifting.

And this should all be moved to the AOC thread.
      This is a bunch of flowery nonsense. Those quotes you're posting don't say anything. And why should what this person says matter? Who is this author, and what is this publication? As long as our society--including the Internet--is free, and free markets reign, we will be a meritocracy such as the world has never seen before. That means that AOC has to stop sounding dumb (like saying dumb stuff like New York tax breaks to Amazon are money that New York can spend now on social programs and Wells Fargo is responsible for the "caging of children") or she'll eventually self-destruct. Like, you know, like, she's only been in the House of Representatives for like, you know, like, two months [imagine my voice a squeaky falsetto] (if she makes NY Senator, I'll be grudgingly impressed). Also, YO is saying nothing like what you're quoting (whatever it is it says). YO is parroting her sponsors' statements to cover his ass. But guess what, it's still okay to say that someone who keeps saying dumb things is dumb regardless of their intersectionality cred. Until she starts sounding and acting otherwise, I say she's dumb.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        This is a bunch of flowery nonsense. Those quotes you're posting don't say anything. And why should what this person says matter? Who is this author, and what is this publication? As long as our society--including the Internet--is free, and free markets reign, we will be a meritocracy such as the world has never seen before. That means that AOC has to stop sounding dumb (like saying dumb stuff like New York tax breaks to Amazon are money that New York can spend now on social programs and Wells Fargo is responsible for the "caging of children") or she'll eventually self-destruct. Like, you know, like, she's only been in the House of Representatives for like, you know, like, two months [imagine my voice a squeaky falsetto] (if she makes NY Senator, I'll be grudgingly impressed). Also, YO is saying nothing like what you're quoting (whatever it is it says). YO is parroting her sponsors' statements to cover his ass. But guess what, it's still okay to say that someone who keeps saying dumb things is dumb regardless of their intersectionality cred. Until she starts sounding and acting otherwise, I say she's dumb.
        His bio is here, he's in the mix of people loosely affiliated with the IDW.

https://neurohacker.com/people/jordan-greenhall

Medium is just a place people contribute essays, not sure if it is centralized in anyway. Similar I guess to Reddit or other places people gather for conversation, like here. He's arguing that the landscape of sense making is undergoing a fundamental change, and that Trump and AOC are both manifestations of people taking advantage of the chaos that ensues when such a change occurs. Their success is evidence that using new media has real influence in the world. People follow them directly as they use new media almost without filters.

I don't think anyone is disputing the invalidity of her opinions, but only that the bigger picture might be her ability to wield power in the new landscape outside of the legacy institutions. If the institutions want to maintain control, regulation of the new media channels will be forthcoming shortly. His contention is it's too late, but we'll see.

This appears to be self-evident. The mainstream media and state propaganda machines are losing control of the narrative and are desperately trying to rein it in back in.

Comment

Medium is just a place people contribute essays, not sure if it is centralized in anyway. Similar I guess to Reddit or other places people gather for conversation, like here. He's arguing that the landscape of sense making is undergoing a fundamental change, and that Trump and AOC are both manifestations of people taking advantage of the chaos that ensues when such a change occurs. Their success is evidence that using new media has real influence in the world. People follow them directly as they use new media almost without filters.

I don't think anyone is disputing the invalidity of her opinions, but only that the bigger picture might be her ability to wield power in the new landscape outside of the legacy institutions. If the institutions want to maintain control, regulation of the new media channels will be forthcoming shortly. His contention is it's too late, but we'll see.

This appears to be self-evident. The mainstream media and state propaganda machines are losing control of the narrative and are desperately trying to rein it in back in.
          Meh. She still says really stupid things. We'll see if she actually manages to wield power effectively or if she remains a slow motion highway crash that we can't stop watching. But I can only assume that the people that buy her snake oil are seen as being aw dumb as the people who swallow Trump's bait.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Good grief. There should be no government control of political speech on the Internet.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
              Good grief. There should be no government control of political speech on the Internet.
              I'm not sure what you are arguing against then? The institutions of MSM and government propaganda (mostly via the political parties) existed long before the internet. They had nearly 100% control of the primary sense making mechanisms in popular US culture. The internet changed it, fundamentally. They are no longer in control of the narrative, good opinion can now be established outside of the establishments. This is true of universities and education also. The media talking heads are frustrated that they speak and less people listen because they are being displaced.

In other countries, governments are blatantly involved in censorship to make sure the narrative is controlled in the new media. Is there pressure being placed on big tech to control the narrative via algorithm in the US? The author and others are arguing that yes it is. Jack Dorsey is making the podcast rounds trying to explain and justify Twitter's censorship. There is a lot of speculation that legacy positions of power are being used to pressure the tech companies to censor "bad opinion". In some sense "big government" isn't bad because it's government, it's bad because it's big. Big tech should likely be feared for the same reason. You can be banned on Twitter for targeted mis-gendering or dead-naming, which is a political agenda embedded in the rules of conduct of a company that has a near monopoly on real time public political speech.

Comment

Working...
              X