Thread: Operation Varsity Blues

Default Operation Varsity Blues

https://www.msnbc.com/craig-melvin/w...-1456507459922

Helicopter parenting on steroids or just par for the course in how the wealthy game the system? I just don't understand why they didn't just donate money directly to the university of their choice--doesn't that do the trick in a legal way?

I was bummed to see that Lori Laughlin was caught up in this. Felicity Huffman can rot in hell.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I was bummed to see that Lori Laughlin was caught up in this. Felicity Huffman can rot in hell.
    Yes, I was really bummed about Lori too. I can't imagine the Hallmark Channel will want to keep her now, though she has a main role on When Calls the Heart.

Not surprised to see the P12 in the middle of this.

Lots of shitposting on USC being lumped in with the other Ivy League universities caught up in the scandal. And rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Soccermom View Post
    Those replies are golden.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    $15k so that the SAT scores can get rigged? Seems like for a only bit more of a charitable contribution directly to the school, they'd not only admit the daughter, they'd get to name some unclaimed campus item. Say, the William H. Macy and Felicia Huffman Student Lavatory and Makeup Room.

I really enjoyed the staff at deadspin's attempt to get into USC.

https://deadspin.com/dear-usc-please...-go-1833245284

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    I really enjoyed the staff at deadspin's attempt to get into USC.

https://deadspin.com/dear-usc-please...-go-1833245284
    It starts out strong:

we can improve our odds of being accepted into elite colleges and also the University of Southern California
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    It starts out strong:
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by Soccermom View Post
    https://www.msnbc.com/craig-melvin/w...-1456507459922

Helicopter parenting on steroids or just par for the course in how the wealthy game the system? I just don't understand why they didn't just donate money directly to the university of their choice--doesn't that do the trick in a legal way?
    Because it only costs $75K to get someone to take the ACT for you. Donating $75K won't get your progeny into Harvard. Maybe $75M, but not $75K.

Lame celebrities so far.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Lame celebrities so far.
    Yeah, this would be a much better story with better celebrities. And it would make for a better movie, especially if they play themselves.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

It's stories like this where we really miss tripletdaddy.

Lame celebrities so far.
    The mayor of Hope Valley. How can it get any better?

Lame celebrities so far.
    Lame, indeed...

IMG_1606.JPG
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Rescinded admissions, a class-action suit: Fallout from college scandal spreads

FBI agents were tipped off to the scheme by a man they were investigating for securities fraud. Once he was caught, the man offered agents a tantalizing lead — the women’s soccer coach at Yale, Rudolph Meredith, had suggested a bribe could get his child into the school, according to people familiar with the matter.

With that, the FBI arranged a surreptitiously recorded meeting in a Boston hotel room in which the two men discussed the terms, including a $450,000 bribe if the coach designated the man’s daughter as a recruit for the soccer team, which would greatly enhance her chances of admission to Yale, according to court papers and people familiar with the matter. The tipster’s identity was earlier disclosed by the Boston Globe.

The undercover dad allegedly gave the coach a $2,000 cash down payment, according to charging papers.
    Okay, so hold on. The FBI was investigating securities fraud and then found and pursued information on this whole college admissions scandal, totally unrelated to the original securities fraud investigation, and is now arresting and indicting people on the college admissions affair?!?!?!? Holding that pretty lady on $1 million bond??!!?!?!?

WTF?!?!!?

The FBI is out of control.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."