The Climate Change Apocalypse Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Climate Change Apocalypse Emergency

AP--A senior U.N. environmental official says entire nations could be wiped off the face of the Earth by rising sea levels if the global warming trend is not reversed by the year 2000.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/notable...ce-11552002661
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

I mean, do you think they'll see the water rising before they're drowned?

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      I mean, do you think they'll see the water rising before they're drowned?
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Which ones did we lose? I confess I don't keep track of all the crap countries in low-lying areas.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          Hey, I tried to read it because I was genuinely interested, but it's behind a firewall, and I'm a cheapskate.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Which ones did we lose? I confess I don't keep track of all the crap countries in low-lying areas.
            Reminds me of a joke I heard many years ago that goes something like this:

My roommate/friend/whatever is from Ireland and loves to drink.

I asked him "Don't you know that drinking kills brain cells?"

He replied "Sure, but only the weak ones."
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Good call, SU. If some random people at some point in the past made some incorrect predictions about global warming, then the entire thing must be a hoax. Right?
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Good call, SU. If some random people at some point in the past made some incorrect predictions about global warming, then the entire thing must be a hoax. Right?
                Correct.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                  Hey, I tried to read it because I was genuinely interested, but it's behind a firewall, and I'm a cheapskate.
                  “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Hey when the fella on tv news can get tomorrow’s weather right then I may start believing the “scientists.” In the meantime I need to go and shovel Al Gore’s “global warming” off my driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Actually, for rational people who believe in science and technology, like all religions this theology need not be binary. Smart, informed people are less and less talking about apocalypse and saying, "okay, we've increased the mean temperature of the planet by 1.8 degrees C. What are we going to do about it? Kill billions of people and create new, worse environmental problems by banning fossil fuels, or move forward like we have for the past several thousand years and solve our climate problem with new technology?" Have you read "Enlightenment Now," "Origin Story," "The Wizard and the Prophet," "Sapiens," or "Homo Deus"?

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                        Hey when the fella on tv news can get tomorrow’s weather right then I may start believing the “scientists.” In the meantime I need to go and shovel Al Gore’s “global warming” off my driveway.
                        It's not about weather. It's about competing narratives like everything else. Climate change, like Christianity's atonement, is an all encompassing and pervasive doctrine that supports and justifies infinite permutations of efforts to elevate the collective over the individual, whether through single payor medicine, vegetarianism, meat shaming, whatever. See also, the Green New Deal.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          dostoevsky, sylvia plath, yohio
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I forgot to mention that while we've increased the mean temperature by 1.8 C, this has been necessary to virtually eradicate starvation, war and epidemics.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              I forgot to mention that while we've increased the mean temperature by 1.8 C, this has been necessary to virtually eradicate starvation, war and epidemics.
                              Quit forgetting to say shit. It’s embarrassing.

Comment

Working...
                              X