Overlanding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overlanding?

Is anyone else into this? Seems like it has risen in popularity over the last few years.

We've been dabbling in it and having quite a bit of fun as a family and with friends. The high point so far was doing the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands last April. Three vehicles, three nights. Some of the most amazing scenery I've ever witnessed, just beautiful and spectacular all the way through. My father-in-law was too aggressive up Murphy Hogback and yardsale'd all of the gear out of the bed of his truck on the way up. Other than that, the driving was very tame.

We've had a bunch of other fun trips in Moab, the San Rafael Swell, the west desert, and Capitol Reef National Park.

Just interested to hear if anyone here spends anytime driving off-road and camping and if you have any recommend trips or trails for the group.

Holy crap Colly Wolly.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Holy crap Colly Wolly.
      how's it bruh

Comment

There's a guy in my office who's interested in overlanding. Not sure if he's actually done any overlanding yet, though.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I plan to do something similar, the Backcountry Discovery Routes. https://ridebdr.com/

I'll get to the Idaho route this summer and start looking into the other western states after that. I have all of the maps and the GPS routes.

Comment

you gotta drive a land cruiser with a snorkel and huge tires around town if you do this, fyi
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              There's a guy in my office who's interested in overlanding. Not sure if he's actually done any overlanding yet, though.
              Talked with the guy in my office about it again. He said he's done a little bit, but nothing too involved. He just used his Subaru Crosstrek on prior ventures.

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
              you gotta drive a land cruiser with a snorkel and huge tires around town if you do this, fyi
              He now has a modified Toyota 4-Runner that he's planning to use for a lot more overlanding. He put on larger tires, but hasn't outfitted it with a snorkel, yet.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Talked with the guy in my office about it again. He said he's done a little bit, but nothing too involved. He just used his Subaru Crosstrek on prior ventures.

He now has a modified Toyota 4-Runner that he's planning to use for a lot more overlanding. He put on larger tires, but hasn't outfitted it with a snorkel, yet.
                We drove an offroad trail around the Little Grand Canyon a while back. I ended up having to ford a river in our Pilot. It was that or backtrack over an hour back the way we came.
                Last edited by Bo Diddley; 03-11-2019, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                  We drove an offroad trail around the Little Grand Canyon a while back. I ended up having to ford a river in our Pilot. It was that our backtrack over an hour back the way we came.
                  I admit I'm having difficulty understanding this sentence.
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

it is crazy how overpriced 4runners are for such an old platform.
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I admit I'm having difficulty understanding this sentence.
                      It was that OR backtrack over an hour the way we came.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                        It was that OR backtrack over an hour the way we came.
                        Ah, got it.

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        it is crazy how overpriced 4runners are for such an old platform.
                        I don't know how much he paid for it, but I think his response might be that it's a proven platform. He told me part of the reason he went with this model of 4-Runner is because it's scheduled for a model update and he was concerned they might change it to a unibody design or something that wouldn't work with all the modifications he wanted to make.
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                        X