BYU Baseball 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Topper View Post
    This team should make the conference tourney and has enough pitching to win the automatic invite as well. It might be another tourney team. The shuffling of the lineup has reinvigorated the hitting, and Hale has settled down. Two HRs yesterday.
    A bad loss to UTah and two losses to USD (one which was really controversial) hurt this team last week. But they bounced back Saturday. Cluff had 9 rbis in the game.
    *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      A bad loss to UTah and two losses to USD (one which was really controversial) hurt this team last week. But they bounced back Saturday. Cluff had 9 rbis in the game.
      Baseball America's most recent NCAA bracket projection includes BYU. Granted, it's assuming they would get the auto-bid as of April 4th.

Still, even after losing two to USD, BYU is ranked 34 today on the rpi. Baseball still uses that measure, and if BYU stays up there or moves up, it will be hard to ignore them as an at-large.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...ld-of-64-4319/

Comment

BYU is in today's NCAA tournament projection:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...d-of-64-41019/

Comment

BYU won a series in Seattle against UW, which made it last year to the College World Series.

They lost the opener in heartbreak fashion, on an eighth inning home run, 0-1, but won Friday 7-3, and Saturday 4-0. Pitching is holding up even when the hitting is not. The team could see a return to the NCAA tournament again.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

BYU took a big step in securing first place, by defeating USF in a whacky 17-9 victory that saw many innings of each side loading the bases. BYU was only able to pull even by Brock Hale's grand slam in the second or third inning.

BYU is likely in the conference tournament and will, if it doesn't completely flame out make it to the NCAA tournament. Next year with some serious pitching talent coming in should be a year when BYU makes noise in the NCAA tournament. BYU's arms are fatigued this year so just making it will be an accomplishment after last year's failure.
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Kind of a bittersweet season. After a phenomenal year where they were ranked a good portion of the season, the Cougs crap the bed in the WCC tournament with consecutive losses. The resulting cries that the Cougars were left out of the postseason due to religious bias on Twitter were almost too much for me to handle. How do you make the case for being in the NCAA tourney when you were winless in a mediocre baseball conference tournament?

They're losing a ton of talent this year. Hopefully they can reload.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                Kind of a bittersweet season. After a phenomenal year where they were ranked a good portion of the season, the Cougs crap the bed in the WCC tournament with consecutive losses. The resulting cries that the Cougars were left out of the postseason due to religious bias on Twitter were almost too much for me to handle. How do you make the case for being in the NCAA tourney when you were winless in a mediocre baseball conference tournament?

Shortstop (Cluff, I think) got picked in the 6th round by the Nats. Pretty impressive.
                "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post

A conference tournament shouldn't be the main deciding factor. I get that their rpi took at hit because of it, but judging on the entire season, I don't know that a TCU or a few others who did make it really deserved it that much more. That said, you just have to take care of business. Small consolation that fourth place LMU nearly won their NCAA regional, eliminated on the last day by UCLA. The WCC was better than it looked on paper. As we've always known, the rpi is pretty faulty but is still being used in almost every sport but mens basketball. In the NCAA tournament is where the rubber meets the road. If LMU proves to be a pretty good team there, maybe the #1-#3 WCC teams weren't bad either.
                  Last edited by BlueK; 06-05-2019, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
                    Shortstop (Cluff, I think) got picked in the 6th round by the Nats. Pretty impressive.
                    Jackson Cluff. Mike Littlewood was saying 5th to 12th round the other day, so that's pretty good.

Comment

Good news for BYU next year. Looks like my nephew, Cutter Clawson, will be heading up there. He's one of the top high school LHP's in the country. He'll likely get picked after the 30th round, but that's just a shout-out to him by a major league club. He's considered an elite college prospect and a potential ace from day 1.

I know his dad prefers that he go to BYU, so while he had 7-10 MLB teams seriously interested in him, several had concerns regarding his signability. Several were also looking at him as a position player, as well. He showed good power his senior year.
                      If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                        Good news for BYU next year. Looks like my nephew, Cutter Clawson, will be heading up there. He's one of the top high school LHP's in the country. He'll likely get picked after the 30th round, but that's just a shout-out to him by a major league club. He's considered an elite college prospect and a potential ace from day 1.

I know his dad prefers that he go to BYU, so while he had 7-10 MLB teams seriously interested in him, several had concerns regarding his signability. Several were also looking at him as a position player, as well. He showed good power his senior year.
                        Nice! Best of luck to him.

Comment

Littlewood and staff have to have big smiles on their faces. Cutter is a huge get. Cy Nelson another top notch leftie.

Glad the pitching coach appears have done a great job.

This is great for the quality of pitchers coming in.

Comment

Does his dad still think its a lock that we get in to the Big12?
                            *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                              Does his dad still think its a lock that we get in to the Big12?
                              GFY
                              If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

GFY
                                Didn't you use to have thicker skin at one point?
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X