Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 38

Thread: BYU Baseball 2019

  1. #1
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,437

    Default BYU Baseball 2019

    BYU takes down the Northwestern Wildcats in the bottom of the 10th on a single up the middle with Matthews scoring from second. Cougs win 4-3.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  2. #2
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,821

    Default

    Cool. How good is Northwestern, usually?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Cool. How good is Northwestern, usually?
    Not very. 17-32 last year. 2nd to last in the Big 10

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Not very. 17-32 last year. 2nd to last in the Big 10
    Our record last year wasn't much better than that unfortunately.

  5. #5
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Not very. 17-32 last year. 2nd to last in the Big 10
    What about Ohio State?
    or Cal that just defeated the Cougs?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    What about Ohio State?
    or Cal that just defeated the Cougs?
    Good questions You can find some information here.

  7. #7

    Default

    This computer ranking system has BYU #85. So far it seems like a good enough schedule to give us a chance at the tournament if we do well.

    some opponents:
    Northwestern 99
    Cal 119
    Texas A&M CC 176
    Ohio State 32
    Lamar 111
    Oral Roberts 46
    Utah 106
    Oregon 60
    Washington 49
    San Diego St 41

    Other WCC teams in top 100:
    Gonzaga 59
    Saint Mary's 54
    San Diego 72
    LMU 81


    http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/elochess
    Last edited by BlueK; 02-21-2019 at 07:46 AM.

  8. #8
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,437

    Default

    So BYU is now at 56, with a 5-2 record. Already looks much better than last year. We'll see how both pitching and hitting hold up, but the team seems to have a better attitude than last year.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  9. #9

    Default

    BYU has moved up to #51. I agree they seem to have improved quite a bit over last year.

    key opponents:
    2-1 vs. Northwestern 106
    0-1 vs. Cal 81
    1-0 vs. Texas A&M CC 141
    1-0 vs. Ohio State 47
    1-0 vs. Oral Roberts 46

    Upcoming:
    Lamar 137
    Utah 122
    Oregon 37
    Washington 42
    San Diego St 33

    Other WCC teams in top 100:
    Gonzaga 100
    Saint Mary's 88
    San Diego 83
    LMU 80


    http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/elochess

  10. #10
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,437

    Default

    Lamar, not highly considered, still forced the Cougs into the 10th.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  11. #11

    Default

    Nice late inning win against Oregon last night. (#11 on rpi as of 3/24)

  12. #12

    Default

    Enough games have been played now in college baseball for the rpi to be of some value. So far it's making the WCC look pretty good. The 18-5 W-L record looks great but most of BYU's wins so far are against lower ranked teams. However, with the WCC pretty strong, BYU has enough left in the schedule to push them into NCAA at-large range if they keep winning at this clip. The Oregon win last night is looking very good.

    RPI of WCC teams:
    21. Pepperdine
    31. Gonzaga
    50. San Diego
    70. LMU
    72. San Francisco
    73. BYU
    79. Portland
    102. St. Mary's
    104. Pacific
    287. Santa Clara

    BYU's non-conference wins so far in order of ranking:

    11. Oregon
    84. Milwaukee
    111. Texas A&M-CC
    167. Northwestern
    179. Ohio State
    186. Lamar
    218. Oral Roberts
    248. Utah Valley

    Non-conference opponents remaining:

    92. Utah (away and home)
    29. @Washington
    49. @Cal
    82. @San Diego State

  13. #13
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Enough games have been played now in college baseball for the rpi to be of some value. So far it's making the WCC look pretty good. The 18-5 W-L record looks great but most of BYU's wins so far are against lower ranked teams. However, with the WCC pretty strong, BYU has enough left in the schedule to push them into NCAA at-large range if they keep winning at this clip. The Oregon win last night is looking very good.

    RPI of WCC teams:
    21. Pepperdine
    31. Gonzaga
    50. San Diego
    70. LMU
    72. San Francisco
    73. BYU
    79. Portland
    102. St. Mary's
    104. Pacific
    287. Santa Clara

    BYU's non-conference wins so far in order of ranking:

    11. Oregon
    84. Milwaukee
    111. Texas A&M-CC
    167. Northwestern
    179. Ohio State
    186. Lamar
    218. Oral Roberts
    248. Utah Valley

    Non-conference opponents remaining:

    92. Utah (away and home)
    29. @Washington
    49. @Cal
    82. @San Diego State
    A better team than last year, but the hitting is weaker than normal. The first game loss to Gonzaga looms large.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  14. #14

    Default

    The hitting hasn't been stellar, but not terrible, just adequate. The pitching as a whole has been outstanding (3.15 team ERA, .223 opponent BA) -- so far the best at BYU in at least ten years and probably for much longer than that. It will make things interesting in the WCC, which because the rpis in the league are good, means there is a shot at an at-large in the NCAA tournament if they can win most of their conference games.
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-29-2019 at 11:20 AM.

  15. #15
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    The hitting hasn't been stellar, but not terrible, just adequate. The pitching as a whole has been outstanding (3.15 team ERA, .223 opponent BA) -- so far the best at BYU in at least ten years and probably for much longer than that. It will make things interesting in the WCC, which because the rpis in the league are good, means there is a shot at an at-large in the NCAA tournament if they can win most of their conference games.
    This team should make the conference tourney and has enough pitching to win the automatic invite as well. It might be another tourney team. The shuffling of the lineup has reinvigorated the hitting, and Hale has settled down. Two HRs yesterday.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    This team should make the conference tourney and has enough pitching to win the automatic invite as well. It might be another tourney team. The shuffling of the lineup has reinvigorated the hitting, and Hale has settled down. Two HRs yesterday.
    A bad loss to UTah and two losses to USD (one which was really controversial) hurt this team last week. But they bounced back Saturday. Cluff had 9 rbis in the game.
    *Banned*

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    A bad loss to UTah and two losses to USD (one which was really controversial) hurt this team last week. But they bounced back Saturday. Cluff had 9 rbis in the game.
    Baseball America's most recent NCAA bracket projection includes BYU. Granted, it's assuming they would get the auto-bid as of April 4th.

    Still, even after losing two to USD, BYU is ranked 34 today on the rpi. Baseball still uses that measure, and if BYU stays up there or moves up, it will be hard to ignore them as an at-large.

    https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...ld-of-64-4319/

  18. #18

    Default

    BYU is in today's NCAA tournament projection:

    https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...d-of-64-41019/

  19. #19
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,437

    Default

    BYU won a series in Seattle against UW, which made it last year to the College World Series.

    They lost the opener in heartbreak fashion, on an eighth inning home run, 0-1, but won Friday 7-3, and Saturday 4-0. Pitching is holding up even when the hitting is not. The team could see a return to the NCAA tournament again.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  20. #20
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,437

    Default

    BYU took a big step in securing first place, by defeating USF in a whacky 17-9 victory that saw many innings of each side loading the bases. BYU was only able to pull even by Brock Hale's grand slam in the second or third inning.

    BYU is likely in the conference tournament and will, if it doesn't completely flame out make it to the NCAA tournament. Next year with some serious pitching talent coming in should be a year when BYU makes noise in the NCAA tournament. BYU's arms are fatigued this year so just making it will be an accomplishment after last year's failure.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  21. #21
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    10,489

    Default

    Kind of a bittersweet season. After a phenomenal year where they were ranked a good portion of the season, the Cougs crap the bed in the WCC tournament with consecutive losses. The resulting cries that the Cougars were left out of the postseason due to religious bias on Twitter were almost too much for me to handle. How do you make the case for being in the NCAA tourney when you were winless in a mediocre baseball conference tournament?

    They're losing a ton of talent this year. Hopefully they can reload.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  22. #22
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Kind of a bittersweet season. After a phenomenal year where they were ranked a good portion of the season, the Cougs crap the bed in the WCC tournament with consecutive losses. The resulting cries that the Cougars were left out of the postseason due to religious bias on Twitter were almost too much for me to handle. How do you make the case for being in the NCAA tourney when you were winless in a mediocre baseball conference tournament?

    They're losing a ton of talent this year. Hopefully they can reload.
    Shortstop (Cluff, I think) got picked in the 6th round by the Nats. Pretty impressive.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Kind of a bittersweet season. After a phenomenal year where they were ranked a good portion of the season, the Cougs crap the bed in the WCC tournament with consecutive losses. The resulting cries that the Cougars were left out of the postseason due to religious bias on Twitter were almost too much for me to handle. How do you make the case for being in the NCAA tourney when you were winless in a mediocre baseball conference tournament?

    They're losing a ton of talent this year. Hopefully they can reload.
    A conference tournament shouldn't be the main deciding factor. I get that their rpi took at hit because of it, but judging on the entire season, I don't know that a TCU or a few others who did make it really deserved it that much more. That said, you just have to take care of business. Small consolation that fourth place LMU nearly won their NCAA regional, eliminated on the last day by UCLA. The WCC was better than it looked on paper. As we've always known, the rpi is pretty faulty but is still being used in almost every sport but mens basketball. In the NCAA tournament is where the rubber meets the road. If LMU proves to be a pretty good team there, maybe the #1-#3 WCC teams weren't bad either.
    Last edited by BlueK; 06-05-2019 at 09:50 AM.

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Shortstop (Cluff, I think) got picked in the 6th round by the Nats. Pretty impressive.
    Jackson Cluff. Mike Littlewood was saying 5th to 12th round the other day, so that's pretty good.

  25. #25
    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant SoCalCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    5,198

    Default

    Good news for BYU next year. Looks like my nephew, Cutter Clawson, will be heading up there. He's one of the top high school LHP's in the country. He'll likely get picked after the 30th round, but that's just a shout-out to him by a major league club. He's considered an elite college prospect and a potential ace from day 1.

    I know his dad prefers that he go to BYU, so while he had 7-10 MLB teams seriously interested in him, several had concerns regarding his signability. Several were also looking at him as a position player, as well. He showed good power his senior year.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
    Good news for BYU next year. Looks like my nephew, Cutter Clawson, will be heading up there. He's one of the top high school LHP's in the country. He'll likely get picked after the 30th round, but that's just a shout-out to him by a major league club. He's considered an elite college prospect and a potential ace from day 1.

    I know his dad prefers that he go to BYU, so while he had 7-10 MLB teams seriously interested in him, several had concerns regarding his signability. Several were also looking at him as a position player, as well. He showed good power his senior year.
    Nice! Best of luck to him.

  27. #27
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
    Good news for BYU next year. Looks like my nephew, Cutter Clawson, will be heading up there. He's one of the top high school LHP's in the country. He'll likely get picked after the 30th round, but that's just a shout-out to him by a major league club. He's considered an elite college prospect and a potential ace from day 1.

    I know his dad prefers that he go to BYU, so while he had 7-10 MLB teams seriously interested in him, several had concerns regarding his signability. Several were also looking at him as a position player, as well. He showed good power his senior year.

    Littlewood and staff have to have big smiles on their faces. Cutter is a huge get. Cy Nelson another top notch leftie.

    Glad the pitching coach appears have done a great job.

    This is great for the quality of pitchers coming in.

  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
    Good news for BYU next year. Looks like my nephew, Cutter Clawson, will be heading up there. He's one of the top high school LHP's in the country. He'll likely get picked after the 30th round, but that's just a shout-out to him by a major league club. He's considered an elite college prospect and a potential ace from day 1.

    I know his dad prefers that he go to BYU, so while he had 7-10 MLB teams seriously interested in him, several had concerns regarding his signability. Several were also looking at him as a position player, as well. He showed good power his senior year.
    Does his dad still think its a lock that we get in to the Big12?
    *Banned*

  29. #29
    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant SoCalCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    5,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Does his dad still think its a lock that we get in to the Big12?
    GFY
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

  30. #30
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
    GFY
    Didn't you use to have thicker skin at one point?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •