Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33

Thread: When CUF and Real Life Intersect

  1. #1
    Senior Member Clark Addison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Beautiful South
    Posts
    7,177

    Default When CUF and Real Life Intersect

    How do you react when your real life intersects in some way with your imaginary friednds on CUF? Sometimes, I will tell my wife something I hear here. When she asks where I heard it, I will usually reply vaguely that "Someone told me", so that my wife doesn't think I am a bigger nerd than she already does.

    So today was Stake Conference, and this woman in my ward comes up to me before the meeting and says "Hey, how do you know (name of someone on CUF)? I saw you were his friend on Facebook, we used to be in his ward."

    I admit to feeling a little bit silly when I responded "we participate in the same BYU sports message board". But maybe it is just because I am a little older than average. Maybe to most of you, it is perfectly natural to have virtual friends and acquaintances. Should I shed my inhibitions and be proud of my online community, or have you created a plausible cover story for situations like this?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    How do you react when your real life intersects in some way with your imaginary friednds on CUF? Sometimes, I will tell my wife something I hear here. When she asks where I heard it, I will usually reply vaguely that "Someone told me", so that my wife doesn't think I am a bigger nerd than she already does.

    So today was Stake Conference, and this woman in my ward comes up to me before the meeting and says "Hey, how do you know (name of someone on CUF)? I saw you were his friend on Facebook, we used to be in his ward."

    I admit to feeling a little bit silly when I responded "we participate in the same BYU sports message board". But maybe it is just because I am a little older than average. Maybe to most of you, it is perfectly natural to have virtual friends and acquaintances. Should I shed my inhibitions and be proud of my online community, or have you created a plausible cover story for situations like this?
    yes
    Last edited by pellegrino; 08-30-2009 at 03:07 PM.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    So today was Stake Conference, and this woman in my ward comes up to me before the meeting and says "Hey, how do you know (name of someone on CUF)? I saw you were his friend on Facebook, we used to be in his ward."
    Actually, there have been three times when I've been looking at a friend's facebook profile and was surprised to see we had a certain mutual friend, and think to myself "what a small world" and asked them "wow how do you know X?" and it turned out that they don't know each other; facebook suggested they might know each other because they both knew me, and so they just up and added each other.

    I haven't had anyone ask me about you imaginary CUFers, but won't even bat an eye if they do.

  4. #4
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,951

    Default

    I used to say things to my wife similar to you, like "I heard/read somewhere." She started calling me on it, now I just say on CUF, like it is a badge of honor that she will never achieve.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
    it turned out that they don't know each other; facebook suggested they might know each other because they both knew me, and so they just up and added each other.
    Facebook whores. They'll add anyone.

  6. #6
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,045

    Default

    I partook of the fruit and saw that it was good. I was desirous that my wife should also partake. She partook and saw that it was good.

    And that's how I got the mocking to stop.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
    Facebook whores. They'll add anyone.
    even you JL, even you.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

  8. #8

    Default

    When this happens I describe the folks I know here as people I first met on an alumni website. That is close enough to true.
    Last edited by UtahDan; 08-30-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: sp

  9. #9
    Senior Member il Padrino Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    19,204

    Default

    The internet makes the world very small. For example, here on CUF, I found out that some of fiyero's friends from a student ward while he was at the U are my cousins. And a member of the church from Bolivia that DDD knew while on his mission is now in my ward.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    So today was Stake Conference, and this woman in my ward comes up to me before the meeting and says "Hey, how do you know (name of someone on CUF)? I saw you were his friend on Facebook, we used to be in his ward."

    I admit to feeling a little bit silly when I responded "we participate in the same BYU sports message board".
    bwaHAHAHAHA.

    you think you've got it bad. Imagine me trying to explain to the dean of BYU law (who had noted curiously that I'm not a member) who talked me into applying to the school.

    [Note: "A cyborg, a hedgehog, and a goose" didn't get me very far (though it does sound like a setup to a pretty good joke).]

  11. #11
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    bwaHAHAHAHA.

    you think you've got it bad. Imagine me trying to explain to the dean of BYU law (who had noted curiously that I'm not a member) who talked me into applying to the school.

    [Note: "A cyborg, a hedgehog, and a goose" didn't get me very far (though it does sound like a setup to a pretty good joke).]
    I am sure you have shared it somewhere and I have missed it. What has made you decide to go to law school. Because of your wisdom and good sense, I am guessing you aren't just finishing your bachelors degree and moving on to law school. I am truly interested in what has caused you to take this path. If you went to BYU would you commute from Oklahoma or would your family move.

    If this is all too personal, just tell me to mind my own business. I would understand.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    I am sure you have shared it somewhere and I have missed it. What has made you decide to go to law school?
    A simian and a bacterium talked me into it.

  13. #13

    Default

    seriously, 71:

    no, it's not too personal to explain to you guys, but I don't feel up to answering on a public internet forum. Google gives me the heeby-jeebies.

  14. #14
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    A simian and a bacterium talked me into it.
    Cool.

  15. #15
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    seriously, 71:

    no, it's not too personal to explain to you guys, but I don't feel up to answering on a public internet forum. Google gives me the heeby-jeebies.
    I totally understand. Even if I don't know the details, for some reason I think it is pretty cool (can't think of a better word) that you are doing it.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    Cool.
    Nah, I was joking. If I succumbed to peer pressure that easily I'd be baptized by now.

  17. #17
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Nah, I was joking. If I succumbed to peer pressure that easily I'd be baptized by now.
    Well, in case that answer was something only intellectuals would understand, I wasn't going to admit I didn't.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    bwaHAHAHAHA.

    you think you've got it bad. Imagine me trying to explain to the dean of BYU law (who had noted curiously that I'm not a member) who talked me into applying to the school.
    Actually, come to think of it, talking with the dean wasn't near as weird as trying to explain to my parents how it is that I'm meeting a dozen BYU fans in Dallas.

  19. #19
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,367

    Default

    I've just about run out of lies to make my wife think that she wouldn't like CUF. I'm really just doing it to protect Babs. Mrs. wuapinmon has a bull<redacted> filter like few have ever seen coupled with any icy emasculating wit, and she'd make Babs look like an amateur of a fairly refined art form.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I'm really just doing it to protect Babs. Mrs. wuapinmon has a bull<redacted> filter like few have ever seen coupled with any icy emasculating wit, and she'd make Babs look like an amateur of a fairly refined art form.
    You deceive yourself. You keep her away not to protect me, but to protect you. You simply don't want your wife to see you alternately either flirting with the ladies of CUF, or being unceremoniously castrated by them.

  21. #21
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    You deceive yourself. You keep her away to protect wuapinmon. You simply don't want your wife to see you alternately either flirting with the ladies of CUF, or being unceremoniously castrated by them.
    pharmakos. And I'm sure she's lurking; she knows me.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  22. #22
    Adventurer Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West of House
    Posts
    2,703

    Default

    Lebowski walked passed the Cougareat today (a task which requires about 15 seconds) at the same time my family was getting some ice cream at the creamery counter. Trippy.
    Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 08-06-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

    I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

    Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

  23. #23
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Lebowski walked passed the Cougareat today (a task which requires about 15 seconds) at the same time my family was getting some ice cream at the creamery counter. Trippy.
    This was an hour or two after I had lunch with MBN and YO. Crazy day!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  24. #24
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    19,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    This was an hour or two after I had lunch with MBN and YO. Crazy day!
    Wow... really crazy. My family and I are in Utah enjoying the smoky air. No one told me there was CS party on campus!


    Sent from my iPhone (and not some dumb android device)!
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    This was an hour or two after I had lunch with MBN and YO. Crazy day!
    That was super fun, but still a little sad we couldn't figure out someone to ban.

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Wow... really crazy. My family and I are in Utah enjoying the smoky air. No one told me there was CS party on campus!


    Sent from my iPhone (and not some dumb android device)!
    Maybe you should have pulled your nose out of Trumps butt and given JL a phone call.

  27. #27
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Maybe you should have pulled your nose out of Trumps butt and given JL a phone call.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  28. #28
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Wow... really crazy. My family and I are in Utah enjoying the smoky air. No one told me there was CS party on campus!


    Sent from my iPhone (and not some dumb android device)!
    Reminds me of the time I was in Utah and JL was “too busy” to have lunch with me.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Reminds me of the time I was in Utah and JL was “too busy” to have lunch with me.
    It sounds like he just didn't want to have to interact with you in person but was too polite to directly decline.

  30. #30
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    19,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Reminds me of the time I was in Utah and JL was “too busy” to have lunch with me.
    I think JL has a thing against us Texans... maybe he is just jealous of our awesome suntans.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •