Thread: Putting the Dogs to Sleep: Gonzaga vs. BYU

Default Putting the Dogs to Sleep: Gonzaga vs. BYU

Can we pull off a miracle in the Marriott Center?

Probably not, but let's hope for a good game.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Can we pull off a miracle in the Marriott Center?

Probably not, but let's hope for a good game.
    In the last five seasons as we have slid into mediocrity, the one thing that doesn't make sense is how well we have actually competed against Gonzaga in the regular season, going 4-6. We had the three game winning streak at the Kennel, easily the most anyone has won there since Gonzaga became a national power.

At home we only went 1-4, but still rarely got blown out, averaging an 8.5 point margin in the four losses.

All that being said, I am not very optimistic.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    In the last five seasons as we have slid into mediocrity, the one thing that doesn't make sense is how well we have actually competed against Gonzaga in the regular season, going 4-6. We had the three game winning streak at the Kennel, easily the most anyone has won there since Gonzaga became a national power.

At home we only went 1-4, but still rarely got blown out, averaging an 8.5 point margin in the four losses.

All that being said, I am not very optimistic.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I don't expect us to win but we have been their toughest WCC opponent over the years. SMC almost never beats them.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I don't expect us to win but we have been their toughest WCC opponent over the years. SMC almost never beats them.
    Since joining the WCC, BYU has 5 wins vs Gonzaga, SMC also has 5.
    *Banned*

I hope we can keep it within 30.

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Since joining the WCC, BYU has 5 wins vs Gonzaga, SMC also has 5.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Maybe a little overzealous over bashing SMC. Their coach is very annoying.

I know I've pseudo-defended SMC in the past, saying I don't understand the hate for them, but after I saw Randy Bennett harangue the ref during that timeout on Thursday, I can definitely understand hate for their coach. For the program as a whole (e.g. fans, school, players, etc.) I still don't get the hate for them but Randy Bennett is a whiny little punk and I hope he gets hemorrhoids.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    I know I've pseudo-defended SMC in the past, saying I don't understand the hate for them, but after I saw Randy Bennett harangue the ref during that timeout on Thursday, I can definitely understand hate for their coach. For the program as a whole (e.g. fans, school, players, etc.) I still don't get the hate for them but Randy Bennett is a whiny little punk and I hope he gets worse hemorrhoids.
    FIFY
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

dellevadocacado is a bitch
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    dellevadocacado is a bitch
    hated what he could do to us on the court but respected him as a player and a person. It was hard for me to really dislike him for very long after the half court miracle shot he made, when it showed him right afterwards run and hug his parents. Then when they interviewed his dad on BYUTV they seemed like really nice people.

Luke is just awful.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Stretch goal: Keep it within 15

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Stretch goal: Keep it within 15
    Realistic goal: keep it above 50% of Gonzaga's score.

I like how springy Baxter is.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    I hope we can keep it within 30.
    Hooray!

The offense was pretty terrible last night. There is a lot of action that just seems wasted to me. They tried so hard to get the ball to Yoeli in the post. Then, when the double team would almost invariably come, nobody was flashing to the basket to take advantage. Instead, Yo had to take a dribble back and lob the ball out to the perimeter.

The defense had some spots where they looked decent, but Gonzaga just abused them overall. I don't fault the defense as much as I credit the Bulldog offense.

If you were to line up the two teams from "best" player to "worst", how many times would you take the BYU player over the Zag? I'm thinking pretty close to zero.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    The offense was pretty terrible last night. There is a lot of action that just seems wasted to me. They tried so hard to get the ball to Yoeli in the post. Then, when the double team would almost invariably come, nobody was flashing to the basket to take advantage. Instead, Yo had to take a dribble back and lob the ball out to the perimeter.

The defense had some spots where they looked decent, but Gonzaga just abused them overall. I don't fault the defense as much as I credit the Bulldog offense.

If you were to line up the two teams from "best" player to "worst", how many times would you take the BYU player over the Zag? I'm thinking pretty close to zero.
    This, coupled with the fact that passing out of the double team has never been Yoeli's strong suite, and the fact that BYU's three point shooting is "streaky" at best, make double-teaming Yoeli an extremely effective strategy.