The COSTCO Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The COSTCO Thread

We go to Costco around once a week to buy stuff here and there....milk, bread, whatnot. I am always running into good deals or new items that I haven't seen before. I know that Costco stocks its shelves regionally, so what they sell in American Fork won't necessarily be stocked in the Bay Area, for example (sorry to all you American Fork residents that were hoping to buy the limited edition boxed set of the "Milk" dvd)....

To the extent that you run across a tasty new sample, a good close-out deal, or just want to rave about the quality of Kirkland products, feel free to do so here.

I was inspired to share with the group a new find from this morning's costco run. We are sampling at some sausage/meatball type kiosk and it struck me that these things were pretty tasty. The brand is "Amylu" is they sell 3 types of of product.....apple wood smoked chicken sausage, tequila lime chicken sausage, and mild chicken sausage meatballs. The fat content is slightly lower than your normal sausage, the kids devoured them, and they tasted delish.

I bought a pack of the apple smoked and the tequila lime. I am bringing them to tonight's EQ beach party activity. I think people will really like them.

Also, has anyone tried the pre-marinated carne asada at Costco? I saw a package of it today for around $6. While I am not generally a fan, sometimes you need to make carne asada at short notice....an impromptu bbq, for example, with no advance time to marinate the meat properly. I was wondering if the costco offering is acceptable or if it tastes gross. One problem I have with pre-made Mex is that the spices make it bend too much towards a southwestern/chipotle flavor. I prefer straight up jalapeno/hab over a chipotle, if possible.

And for those that are interested, some cool USC sweatshirts for $25, cool USC long-sleeves for $17. PM me your size and how many you want of each....
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Also, has anyone tried the pre-marinated carne asada at Costco? I saw a package of it today for around $6. While I am not generally a fan, sometimes you need to make carne asada at short notice....an impromptu bbq, for example, with no advance time to marinate the meat properly. I was wondering if the costco offering is acceptable or if it tastes gross. One problem I have with pre-made Mex is that the spices make it bend too much towards a southwestern/chipotle flavor. I prefer straight up jalapeno/hab over a chipotle, if possible.
    My wife brought it home once and I thought it was really good. As a disclaimer, I'm a pretty simple person when it comes to food. With regard to your comments on the spices, I remember it being pretty heavily seasoned and very tender, and it certainly doesn't taste like the authentic carne asada you'd find at any number of Mexican restaurants or stands in SoCal. It definitely borders more on the southwestern/chipotle side of the spectrum, but I'd recommend worth trying it once.

Comment

DDD,

The Amylu is a great sausage product. The apple is the best. My family doesn't like the tequila one at all.

Best part of the product? Gluten Free. There are 2 YW in our ward that have to eat a strict GF diet. We keep a dozen or so in the freezer for when my daughter has them over.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
        DDD,

The Amylu is a great sausage product. The apple is the best. My family doesn't like the tequila one at all.

Best part of the product? Gluten Free. There are 2 YW in our ward that have to eat a strict GF diet. We keep a dozen or so in the freezer for when my daughter has them over.
        I'm not a huge sausage fan, but even I like the apple. Had no idea they were gluten free. Good to know.

Comment

Kirkland Signature Macademia-Chocolate-Caramel clusters. If you want to gain weight, buy these.

Kirkland Signature bed sheets, very nice.

Kirk Sig stainless steel cookware, awesome.

I've been eyeballing this chest freezer that's $209.
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

My wife bought these packs of 3 nightlights....a Christmas 3-pack and a Halloween 3-pack. The kids wanted them for their rooms even though they don't even use nightlights.

Also, I don't know why, but every time I go to Costco I feel the overwhelming need to purchase one of those large ice chests with wheels. I don't know when I will ever use it, but I feel like I should own one.

One of the door busters at our Costco was a pair of gray Nautica sweatpants. The sweatpants have a back pocket and they are straight leg with a small hem at the bottom. These are some of the sweetest sweat pants I have ever seen.

sigpic

Comment

I cant seem to get out of Costco for under $100-200. We go about once a week, actually heading there now. I think we spent about 6k there last year, not including gas.
              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                I cant seem to get out of Costco for under $100-200. We go about once a week, actually heading there now. I think we spent about 6k there last year, not including gas.
                I always describe Costco as "the place I go to find out what I need." I love to go there, but I always end up buying more than I planned to buy. Also falling into this category are Home Depot and Best Buy. Orchard Supply Hardware is a miniature version of Home Depot, with the same effect on me.
                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

The store is actually in Lehi...

Not that it matters to anyone except those collecting taxes. From how the story was relayed to me - the Lehi/AF dividing line runs through both the Costco and WalMart properties. When WalMart and Costco were being planned AF & Lehi agreed that for tax purposes, Lehi gets Costco and AF gets WalMart.

What does the AF store have that you couldn't get in the Bay Area? 45 pound buckets of wheat from Lehi Roller Mills...

Comment

We have Costco here in Tokyo and it's my fave. So far I've been to the locations in Kawasaki, Chiba, and Machida City, the latter being my favorite. I go whenever I can bum a ride with a ward member, although one time I did take the train and a backpack. Naturally I could only bring back a few items... but I went more just to browse around a familiar store, get a chicken bake (holy calories!), and pick up some tortilla chips. That's the one item that people in my ward seem to freak about. The Kawasaki location doesn't have always have them, but the other two always do.
                    Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

A while ago there was a Costco tortilla thread, also started by DDD. I was disappointed at the time that my local Costco didn't carry them, and very happy to find about a month ago that they have since started.

Anyway, I didn't want to resurrect that old thread, so I will share this here. I have found that the fresh tortillas work very passably as a crepe substitute. They are different than crepes, a little thinner and chewier, but you can use them in many crepe situations. I don't cook them nearly as much as I would for tortilla applications, and often only on one side. They don't match a true crepe, but they are a lot easier. Plus it's a good way to get through those large packages before they go bad.

Comment

Also, I don't know why, but every time I go to Costco I feel the overwhelming need to purchase one of those large ice chests with wheels. I don't know when I will ever use it, but I feel like I should own one.
                        "Perfect for the man who has everything--everything except a friend to help carry a cooler. <Unpopular!>"
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          "Perfect for the man who has everything--everything except a friend to help carry a cooler. <Unpopular!>"
                          <redacted!>

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by statman View Post
                            Not that it matters to anyone except those collecting taxes. From how the story was relayed to me - the Lehi/AF dividing line runs through both the Costco and WalMart properties. When WalMart and Costco were being planned AF & Lehi agreed that for tax purposes, Lehi gets Costco and AF gets WalMart.

What does the AF store have that you couldn't get in the Bay Area? 45 pound buckets of wheat from Lehi Roller Mills...
                            Yeah....that and really bad LDS art, books about Joseph Smith, and BYU and Utah sweatshirts.

sigpic

Comment

I am with you on this one. I finally picked one up last Thanksgiving. My excuse was that I needed a large cooler in which to brine two large turkeys (we were having a lot of guests). I don't know if I have used it since, but in case anyone needs me to bring soda to a stake function, I am ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X