Men's Volleyball 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men's Volleyball 2019

The 2019 season is just around the corner. BYU plays Ohio State on Thursday at the Fieldhouse; so a high quality non-conference match that could matter for NCAA tournament seeding right out of the gate (and Ohio State has already played a couple of matches)

So here is a bit of a preview of the season:

Projected starting lineup (this is the lineup they used in the Alumni game on Saturday):

Code:
    Cyrus Fa'alogo            6-4   Jr      OH
    Davide Gardini            6-9   Fr      OH
    Gabi Garcia-FernandeZ     6-7   So     Opp
    Miki Jauhiainen           6-8   Jr      MB
    Felipe de Brito Ferreira  6-9   So      MB
    Will Stanley              6-4   Jr  Setter
    Zack Hendrickson          6-0   So     Lib
    Key losses from the last year:

Code:
    Brenden Sander           6-4       OH
    Leo Durkin               6-4   Setter
    Price Jarmin             6-9       MB
    Assessment of the losses and their replacements

Brenden Sander is probably the biggest loss in an absolute sense, but this loss is mitigated well (at least in expectation) by the arrival of Davide Gardini. He is a very talented player from Italy (his father is one of the best middle blockers in the history of the game). Not only is he a very tall OH, but he looks long for his size. He can definitely go over the top of defenders given his length. I don't worry about Gardini offensively. He looked impressive in the alumni game; the question (as it is for most really tall OHs) is how well he holds up in serve receive.

Durkin is a big loss. On the other hand, I've generally thought the Stanley was the more talented setter. We will see how is steps up. Can he get consistently good location to the pin hitters? Once again, I think BYU has really talented pins. If Stanley plays reasonably well, BYU will be very good offensively (maybe better than anyone besides Long Beach). Stanley does have a nice jump spin so he does have more serving upside than Durkin too.

BYU lost Jarmin in the middle, but I expect BYU to be better in the middle than last year. Mostly because Felipe de Brito Ferreira is so talented, and should now be fully comfortable in the system. Miki is a solid middle; I would say equal to Jarmin defensively but not quite as good on the offensive end as Jarmin.

This year's Gabi versus last year's Gabi. I do think BYU needs more out of Gabi to really compete for a championship. He's was very solid last year. No doubt he's an elite server. But I think he needs to be more efficient. I don't think he'll every give BYU Patch level efficiency, but it would be nice if he could give BYU plus 0.300 hitting efficiency this year.

Players that could get time -> Storm for sure. If either of the OHs (Gardini or Cyrus struggle), you'll see storm early in the season. Tim Baldwin was the biggest OH recruit besides Gardini. Will we see him later in the season? I'm skeptical. Cyrus is BYU's passing/good hands OH. I'm skeptical that he gets overtaken this season. At middle bocker, I do think Oberender will get some time. He redshirted last year. He is shorter than Miki and Ferreira, but he does have one advantage over those two: he's got a jump spin. If BYU wants to go junp-spin heavy and use less floats we might see Oberender.

My bottom line: BYU is strong where they usually are strong: pin hitters and good blocking middles. Keys: Stanley at setter and Hendrickson at libero. You don't need elite play from either, but they do need to be solid. The closer either of those get to being elite, the more of a legit title chance BYU has.
    Last edited by pelagius; 01-06-2019, 01:14 PM.

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
    The 2019 season is just around the corner. BYU plays Ohio State on Thursday at the Fieldhouse; so a high quality non-conference match that could matter for NCAA tournament seeding right out of the gate (and Ohio State has already played a couple of matches)

Projected starting lineup (this is the lineup they used in the Alumni game on Saturday):

Code:

Code:

Brenden Sander is probably the biggest loss in an absolute sense, but this loss is mitigated well (at least in expectation) by the arrival of Davide Gardini. He is a very talented player from Italy (his father is one of the best middle blockers in the history of the game). Not only is he a very tall OH, but he looks long for his size. He can definitely go over the top of defenders given his length. I don't worry about Gardini offensively. He looked impressive in the alumni game; the question (as it is for most really tall OHs) is how well he holds up in serve receive.

Durkin is a big loss. On the other hand, I've generally thought the Stanley was the more talented setter. We will see how is steps up. Can he get consistently good location to the pin hitters? Once again, I think BYU has really talented pins. If Stanley plays reasonably well, BYU will be very good offensively (maybe better than anyone besides Long Beach). Stanley does have a nice jump spin so he does have more serving upside than Durkin too.

BYU lost Jarmin in the middle, but I expect BYU to be better in the middle than last year. Mostly because Felipe de Brito Ferreira is so talented, and should now be fully comfortable in the system. Miki is a solid middle; I would say equal to Jarmin defensively but not quite as good on the offensive end as Jarmin.

This year's Gabi versus last year's Gabi. I do think BYU needs more out of Gabi to really compete for a championship. He's was very solid last year. No doubt he's an elite server. But I think he needs to be more efficient. I don't think he'll every give BYU Patch level efficiency, but it would be nice if he could give BYU plus 0.300 hitting efficiency this year.

Players that could get time -> Storm for sure. If either of the OHs (Gardini or Cyrus struggle), you'll see storm early in the season. Tim Baldwin was the biggest OH recruit besides Gardini. Will we see him later in the season? I'm skeptical. Cyrus is BYU's passing/good hands OH. I'm skeptical that he gets overtaken this season. At middle bocker, I do think Oberender will get some time. He redshirted last year. He is shorter than Miki and Ferreira, but he does have one advantage over those two: he's got a jump spin. If BYU wants to go junp-spin heavy and use less floats we might see Oberender.

My bottom line: BYU is strong where they usually are strong: pin hitters and good blocking middles. Keys: Stanley at setter and Hendrickson at libero. You don't need elite play from either, but they do need to be solid. The closer either of those get to being elite, the more of a legit title chance BYU has.
    How will BYU be in receiving serve on the backline?

Will BYU be able to earn enough points out of system?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
      How will BYU be in receiving serve on the backline?
      Well, I think I addressed this in my post at least some -> the big potential delta versus last year is Gardini relative to Sander. Hendrickson and Cyrus both were passers last year by the end of the year and will be this year as well. Hopefully, both Hendrickson and Cyrus are improved. We'll see about Gardini. I expect teams to target him.

Originally posted by Topper View Post
      Will BYU be able to earn enough points out of system?
      I don't view this as a particular important worry. You've got Fernendez with a year of experience and you've added an OH who has the size to go over the top of blocks.
      Last edited by pelagius; 01-06-2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Code:

Code:

Pelagius,

How are we reeling in so much international talent?

I love me some BYU, but it can seem restrictive for good, Christian American kids. I can't imagine how some of these international players handle the culture shock.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
          Pelagius,

I love me some BYU, but it can seem restrictive for good, Christian American kids. I can't imagine how some of these international players handle the culture shock.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Is your position really that BYU is not restrictive for college-aged kids?

Comment

Is your position really that BYU is not restrictive for college-aged kids?
              Those poor good, Christian American kids. Must be awful to be at BYU.

FTR, international students generally adjust better than Americans to the BYU environment.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Those poor good, Christian American kids. Must be awful to be at BYU.

FTR, international students generally adjust better than Americans to the BYU environment.
                The only reason it wasn't a hard adjustment for me is because I spent the prior year in Rexburg. I came to Provo and felt liberated walking about campus in my knee-length shorts and flip flops.

When I was at BYU, about 50% of my co-workers were international. I worked with students that were born in Vietnam and raised in Romania; Muslim students from Kenya; Students from Ghana, Belguim, Korea, China, and all over South America and the Caribbean. Its been fifteen years, but I can assure you that if they adjust better (and in my experience, I don't find that to be the case), it's because they are forced to coalesce with one another, and since the stakes are so high for them (they're there on student visas), they keep one another's secrets fairly well hidden.

But I'm willing to admit my anecdotes are not representative if you can produce some objective proof that international students "adjust better".

Comment

Pelagius,

Here are my guesses:

1. The limited number of scholarships helps BYU here. Whoever you play for you're likely to get a partial (likely 1/2 or less). BYU's going to be cheaper than any of the other elite schools (e.g., UCLA out of state tuition or Stanford).

2. Limited number of schools in general that play men's volleyball. I think all the top 10 have good international talent.

3. In volleyball the BYU coaching and professional playing network is really deep and generally well respected. There are lots of people playing and coaching in Europe with BYU connections. For example, I think I remember an article where Gardini talked about discussing who he should play for with Taylor Sander.
                  Last edited by pelagius; 01-07-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Here are my guesses:

1. The limited number of scholarships helps BYU here. Whoever you play for you're likely to get a partial (likely 1/2 or less). BYU's going to be cheaper than any of the other elite schools (e.g., UCLA out of state tuition or Stanford).

2. Limited number of schools in general that play men's volleyball. I think all the top 10 have good international talent.

3. In volleyball the BYU coaching and professional playing network is really deep and generally well respected. There are lots of people playing and coaching in Europe with BYU connections. For example, I think I remember an article where Gardini talked about discussing who he should play for with Taylor Sander.
                    I think you pretty much nailed it.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

The only reason it wasn't a hard adjustment for me is because I spent the prior year in Rexburg. I came to Provo and felt liberated walking about campus in my knee-length shorts and flip flops.

When I was at BYU, about 50% of my co-workers were international. I worked with students that were born in Vietnam and raised in Romania; Muslim students from Kenya; Students from Ghana, Belguim, Korea, China, and all over South America and the Caribbean. Its been fifteen years, but I can assure you that if they adjust better (and in my experience, I don't find that to be the case), it's because they are forced to coalesce with one another, and since the stakes are so high for them (they're there on student visas), they keep one another's secrets fairly well hidden.

But I'm willing to admit my anecdotes are not representative if you can produce some objective proof that international students "adjust better".
                      That was definitely true when BYU had a bunch of champion throwers on the track team from Scandinavia.
                      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Here are my guesses:

How many scholarships per team are allowed by NCAA rules? In baseball I think it's something like 7 scholarships shared among 27 players, or something crazy like that. Do you know what that number is in mens volleyball? Also, the change to allow full cost of attendance I heard means that even in baseball now there is enough money to share for tuition to be covered for all the players, which is nice. If the situation is similar in mens volleyball I imagine it gives BYU a nice advantage against schools like Stanford that are far more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                          How many scholarships per team are allowed by NCAA rules? In baseball I think it's something like 7 scholarships shared among 27 players, or something crazy like that. Do you know what that number is in mens volleyball? Also, the change to allow full cost of attendance I heard means that even in baseball now there is enough money to share for tuition to be covered for all the players, which is nice. If the situation is similar in mens volleyball I imagine it gives BYU a nice advantage against schools like Stanford that are far more expensive.
                          I believe it's 4.5 scholarships, and roster size for BYU is usually around 20.

Comment

Gardini is an amazing out of system middle. I don’t know if he can pass but I expect he can. I also agree Stanley has better location. We are going to be good. See you at the Ohio State match.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                              Gardini is an amazing out of system middle. I don’t know if he can pass but I expect he can. I also agree Stanley has better location. We are going to be good. See you at the Ohio State match.
                              I was going back and forth between hoops and volleyball last night, but did I see Gardini hitting from the outside, or is that just him playing out of system?

Comment

Working...
                              X