Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Men's Volleyball 2019

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    Mostly it just creates more noise than probably other situations. But there are less high school players total, so that probably reduces noise. It's still correlated with player success at the next level. For example, here are the Fab 50 recruits in BYU's starting lineup:

Garcia-Fernandez
    Fa'alago
    Hendrickson
    Stanley

Not Fab 50:
    Ferreira
    Miki
    Gardini

All the ones not ranked, were international players outside of the ranking system. So it's not like it's useless.
    Gardini has some crazy mad skills. He will be fun to watch over the next few years.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

I’m a little worried about the chemistry on the team and what poor chemistry will cause. We have some kids from the US that are devout LDS, some kids from the US that are here for the ball and some international kids with that weird approach to college ball they all seem to take unless they really buy in to BYU as part of their identity. You can see the three camps and styles of play competing. I hope coach can get his arms around this because we have amazing talent but the kids are as much opponents of each other as they are of the othe team.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    I’m a little worried about the chemistry on the team and what poor chemistry will cause. We have some kids from the US that are devout LDS, some kids from the US that are here for the ball and some international kids with that weird approach to college ball they all seem to take unless they really buy in to BYU as part of their identity. You can see the three camps and styles of play competing. I hope coach can get his arms around this because we have amazing talent but the kids are as much opponents of each other as they are of the othe team.
    They were bad last night, and so far tonight even worse. Yikes.

Pre-Historic Man

They were bad last night, and so far tonight even worse. Yikes.
    This team is awful thus far. What is so terribly wrong?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    This team is awful thus far. What is so terribly wrong?
    Passing is the biggest problem but it's not one thing. These last 4 matches they have been bad in a lot of phases of the game.

1. Passing; libero play has struggled, and Gardini has really struggled/been exposed.

2. Serving hasn't been impressive either in general. For example, I have no idea what's going on with Stanley. He is only using a float right now and a pretty weak float at that.

3. Given the structure of the team, BYU has got to get a lot out of both Garcia-Fernandez and Gardini offensively. They need to be really good in system and solid out of system. They offense is designed around them being able to terminate. Even when the passing is pretty good, they haven't been.

4. I don't think Stanley's been bad, but he han't been great either. I don't think he is getting consistently good location to either Fernandez or Gardini.

5. Not sure what to make of Olmstead's subbing decisions.

Pre-Historic Man

BYU won on a bad call tonight against Stanford. The Stanford coach had used up his challenges so no overrule was possible.

BYU won on a bad call tonight against Stanford. The Stanford coach had used up his challenges so no overrule was possible.
    Clearly a bad call

BYU and Stanford are the like reverse images of each other. Stanford has an excellent libero and very good setter but erratic pins. Dagostino's (L) serve-receive is amazing and he does it while covering more than 50% of the court (for the floats he was taking like 3/4 of the court). Bischoff sets quick to the middle really well. Jasper and Wopat (pin hitters) are super talented, but way too inconsistent. It stops them from being at top 5 team. If BYU had Dagostino, it would take so much pressure off Gardini and Storm in serve receive.

Pre-Historic Man

Clearly a bad call

BYU and Stanford are the like reverse images of each other. Stanford has an excellent libero and very good setter but erratic pins. Dagostino's (L) serve-receive is amazing and he does it while covering more than 50% of the court (for the floats he was taking like 3/4 of the court). Bischoff sets quick to the middle really well. Jasper and Wopat (pin hitters) are super talented, but way too inconsistent. It stops them from being at top 5 team. If BYU had Dagostino, it would take so much pressure off Gardini and Storm in serve receive.
    That last set was a nailbiter. The pancake was too difficult to overrule.

That last set was a nailbiter. The pancake was too difficult to overrule.
    Not directed at you, but rather the larger volleyball world. Volleyball is basically the bottom of the pecking order for everything in college sports. Of course, the referring is often poor.

Not directed at you, but rather the larger volleyball world. Volleyball is basically the bottom of the pecking order for everything in college sports. Of course, the referring is often poor.
    NCAA Mens volleyball specifically? Because women's volleyball seems to be pretty important as far as NCAA women's sports are concerned at most schools. It has to be up there with basketball and softball at least.
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-01-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    NCAA Mens volleyball specifically? Because women's volleyball seems to be pretty important as far as NCAA women's sports are concerned at most schools. It has to be up there with basketball and softball at least.
    Sure, I'm exaggerating some when you look at volleyball overall. Still, non-revenue sports in general are going to suck over this dimension. Furthermore, men's volleyball is going to be worse than women's even though the crews are drawn from the same population because Men's matches are more likely to use local crews instead of traveling crews because of it's lower status and funding levels.

Also, volleyball usually doesn't even have high frame rate cameras for replays (BYUtv is about as good as it gets in this regard). And the broadcast standards are particular bad for men's volleyball.

Sure, I'm exaggerating some when you look at volleyball overall. Still, non-revenue sports in general are going to suck over this dimension. Furthermore, men's volleyball is going to be worse than women's even though the crews are drawn from the same population because Men's matches are more likely to use local crews instead of traveling crews because of it's lower status and funding levels.

Also, volleyball usually doesn't even have high frame rate cameras for replays (BYUtv is about as good as it gets in this regard). And the broadcast standards are particular bad for men's volleyball.
    I think we have the same crews at both games. Even at the NCAAs it was our local refs because they are so highly ranked. That said, I think men’s volleyball is really tough to ref. The ball is often flying at 60-70 mph and it is hard to see what’s happening on the touches. The last two games though have both had poor calls after the challenges have been used so I think the coaches are challenging too many questionable calls and running out of challenges. I think good coaches are talking to their players more and using their challenges more judiciously. Kosty messed up and we won.

Pre-Historic Man

I think we have the same crews at both games. Even at the NCAAs it was our local refs because they are so highly ranked. That said, I think menís volleyball is really tough to ref. The ball is often flying at 60-70 mph and it is hard to see whatís happening on the touches. The last two games though have both had poor calls after the challenges have been used so I think the coaches are challenging too many questionable calls and running out of challenges. I think good coaches are talking to their players more and using their challenges more judiciously. Kosty messed up and we won.
    Do you agree with the call before, where he used up his challenge? I couldn't tell.

I think we have the same crews at both games. Even at the NCAAs it was our local refs because they are so highly ranked. That said, I think men’s volleyball is really tough to ref. The ball is often flying at 60-70 mph and it is hard to see what’s happening on the touches. The last two games though have both had poor calls after the challenges have been used so I think the coaches are challenging too many questionable calls and running out of challenges. I think good coaches are talking to their players more and using their challenges more judiciously. Kosty messed up and we won.
    That's fair and a good point that the male version of the sport is particular tough to call given the velocities. Unless you have a hawkeye system like they do in international volleyball you're just going to have to live with noise from calls even with the very best refs.
    Last edited by pelagius; 03-01-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Growing up in southern California it was not unusual to see the same refs call HS, college and AVP matches. For example I had Dancing Marvin Hall call several of my HS games. Then he'd be calling college games and AVP tournaments on the weekend.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Do you agree with the call before, where he used up his challenge? I couldn't tell.
    Kosty’s last challenge was dumb. He should have kept it and would have overturned the final play.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Growing up in southern California it was not unusual to see the same refs call HS, college and AVP matches. For example I had Dancing Marvin Hall call several of my HS games. Then he'd be calling college games and AVP tournaments on the weekend.
    I’m with you. I’ve had the same refs at 6-Man as I have had at AVP. The refs who do BYU games also did US Nationals when it was in SLC and the men’s and women’s crews at BYU are many of the same people. These people are all good refs. The rough part is the men’s college game is hard to call. I wouldn’t even be willing to do line judge at a match. The ball moves too fast. On the other hand, I could do the women’s matches at BYU without difficulty.

Iím with you. Iíve had the same refs at 6-Man as I have had at AVP. The refs who do BYU games also did US Nationals when it was in SLC and the menís and womenís crews at BYU are many of the same people. These people are all good refs. The rough part is the menís college game is hard to call. I wouldnít even be willing to do line judge at a match. The ball moves too fast. On the other hand, I could do the womenís matches at BYU without difficulty.
    Savage.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I’m with you. I’ve had the same refs at 6-Man as I have had at AVP. The refs who do BYU games also did US Nationals when it was in SLC and the men’s and women’s crews at BYU are many of the same people. These people are all good refs. The rough part is the men’s college game is hard to call. I wouldn’t even be willing to do line judge at a match. The ball moves too fast. On the other hand, I could do the women’s matches at BYU without difficulty.
    I agree. I hated being a line judge for that reason. Calling lines is difficult enough when the ball is flying. It's a joke that line judges can call touches. How's the line judge expected to see a finger grazed when the refs at the net can't even see it?

I think challenges are mostly dumb. Video review is a joke pretty much anywhere but BYU unless the game is televised.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    I agree. I hated being a line judge for that reason. Calling lines is difficult enough when the ball is flying. It's a joke that line judges can call touches. How's the line judge expected to see a finger grazed when the refs at the net can't even see it?

I think challenges are mostly dumb. Video review is a joke pretty much anywhere but BYU unless the game is televised.
    They should put down a line like in beach so you can see it jump. Then you can focus on touches. smh The good part is, it goes both ways and doesn’t give a clear advantage.

Back to BYU volleyball, Cyrus is dealing like a pro. Iím impressed.

What in the world is up with this team? They were playing somewhat better a couple of weeks ago, then this week they get blown out by Concordia (???) and USC.

It was kind of funny to watch the feed and see an old man and woman sitting by themselves in the front row behind the service line. They must be donors or something, but there was nobody around them.

Yuck.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky