Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Men's Volleyball 2019

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    Mostly it just creates more noise than probably other situations. But there are less high school players total, so that probably reduces noise. It's still correlated with player success at the next level. For example, here are the Fab 50 recruits in BYU's starting lineup:

Garcia-Fernandez
    Fa'alago
    Hendrickson
    Stanley

Not Fab 50:
    Ferreira
    Miki
    Gardini

All the ones not ranked, were international players outside of the ranking system. So it's not like it's useless.
    Gardini has some crazy mad skills. He will be fun to watch over the next few years.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

I’m a little worried about the chemistry on the team and what poor chemistry will cause. We have some kids from the US that are devout LDS, some kids from the US that are here for the ball and some international kids with that weird approach to college ball they all seem to take unless they really buy in to BYU as part of their identity. You can see the three camps and styles of play competing. I hope coach can get his arms around this because we have amazing talent but the kids are as much opponents of each other as they are of the othe team.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    I’m a little worried about the chemistry on the team and what poor chemistry will cause. We have some kids from the US that are devout LDS, some kids from the US that are here for the ball and some international kids with that weird approach to college ball they all seem to take unless they really buy in to BYU as part of their identity. You can see the three camps and styles of play competing. I hope coach can get his arms around this because we have amazing talent but the kids are as much opponents of each other as they are of the othe team.
    They were bad last night, and so far tonight even worse. Yikes.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    They were bad last night, and so far tonight even worse. Yikes.
    This team is awful thus far. What is so terribly wrong?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    This team is awful thus far. What is so terribly wrong?
    Passing is the biggest problem but it's not one thing. These last 4 matches they have been bad in a lot of phases of the game.

1. Passing; libero play has struggled, and Gardini has really struggled/been exposed.

2. Serving hasn't been impressive either in general. For example, I have no idea what's going on with Stanley. He is only using a float right now and a pretty weak float at that.

3. Given the structure of the team, BYU has got to get a lot out of both Garcia-Fernandez and Gardini offensively. They need to be really good in system and solid out of system. They offense is designed around them being able to terminate. Even when the passing is pretty good, they haven't been.

4. I don't think Stanley's been bad, but he han't been great either. I don't think he is getting consistently good location to either Fernandez or Gardini.

5. Not sure what to make of Olmstead's subbing decisions.