This discussion is boring, SJBH
    You know I'm free
    B*** you know I'm free
    Face it girl I'm free
    Yeah you know I'm free
    Okay I'm free yeah
    Free to chain my will onto the wings of my instinct
    And wander round this box you know I'm inextricably linked
    That's right I'm free to make a sooth to catch some stuff that holds me down
    To capture my desires fashion out a viscid crown
    . . .
    I never leave I'm super free
    To fill my smiles up with the tears that I forgot
    And haunt myself beside these pretty ghosts that float my heart
    You know I'm free
    -- Shabazz Palaces: Free Press and Curl

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    This discussion is boring, SJBH

Head on over to the "How to reset your light bulb" thread if you're looking for entertainment.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark ďegg on your faceĒ! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    The right hand thing is kind of silly but nothing to get worked up about. I doubt most members will even know of the change.
    I think the part about you should ask for the Sacrament prayer to be repeated if there is a mistake that goes uncorrected but not to cause undo embarrassment/humiliation is interesting.

Isn’t it always a little embarrassing when a kid is asked to repeat it? And obviously getting every word right is unnecessary now even for the mullahs. Seems like they could just omit all instruction about asking the prayer to be repeated. Just let the kid do his best and don’t worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    I think the part about you should ask for the Sacrament prayer to be repeated if there is a mistake that goes uncorrected but not to cause undo embarrassment/humiliation is interesting.

Isnít it always a little embarrassing when a kid is asked to repeat it? And obviously getting every word right is unnecessary now even for the mullahs. Seems like they could just omit all instruction about asking the prayer to be repeated. Just let the kid do his best and donít worry about it.
    Agreed
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Head on over to the "How to reset your light bulb" thread if you're looking for entertainment.
    Link? That sounds really exciting
    You know I'm free
    B*** you know I'm free
    Face it girl I'm free
    Yeah you know I'm free
    Okay I'm free yeah
    Free to chain my will onto the wings of my instinct
    And wander round this box you know I'm inextricably linked
    That's right I'm free to make a sooth to catch some stuff that holds me down
    To capture my desires fashion out a viscid crown
    . . .
    I never leave I'm super free
    To fill my smiles up with the tears that I forgot
    And haunt myself beside these pretty ghosts that float my heart
    You know I'm free
    -- Shabazz Palaces: Free Press and Curl

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

Default "Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Isnít it always a little embarrassing when a kid is asked to repeat it? And obviously getting every word right is unnecessary now even for the mullahs. Seems like they could just omit all instruction about asking the prayer to be repeated. Just let the kid do his best and donít worry about it.
    I just took the sacrament to a couple this Sunday, where the man is on hospice. They just had a cracker to use, so when I was saying (reading aloud from D&C 20) the prayer I got to the bread part and wasnít sure if I should say bread or cracker. I just went with bread since it was in the scriptures. But when I went to bless the water the scripture used the word wine, so I changed it. I then felt immediately dumb for not saying cracker in the first prayer.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I just took the sacrament to a couple this Sunday, where the man is on hospice. They just had a cracker to use, so when I was saying (reading aloud from D&C 20) the prayer I got to the bread part and wasn’t sure if I should say bread or cracker. I just went with bread since it was in the scriptures. But when I went to bless the water the scripture used the word wine, so I changed it. I then felt immediately dumb for not saying cracker in the first prayer.
    Don't. The change to 'water' in the prayer was officially sanctioned. We don't have to get that specific "bless and sanctify this pumpernickel to all those who partake of it..."
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Isn’t it always a little embarrassing when a kid is asked to repeat it? And obviously getting every word right is unnecessary now even for the mullahs. Seems like they could just omit all instruction about asking the prayer to be repeated. Just let the kid do his best and don’t worry about it.
    I visited a ward on Sunday. The prayer on the water had a host of mistakes, most of which I had never heard before. The bishop smiled and nodded and the congregation renewed their covenants as the water was passed through the chapel. It was beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Don't. The change to 'water' in the prayer was officially sanctioned. We don't have to get that specific "bless and sanctify this pumpernickel to all those who partake of it..."
    Mmmm - I love pumpernickel. Had German ancestors on my mom's side so we had a minor family tradition of pumpernickel bread growing up. I don't get it much anymore because the Mrs. doesn't appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    I visited a ward on Sunday. The prayer on the water had a host of mistakes, most of which I had never heard before. The bishop smiled and nodded and the congregation renewed their covenants as the water was passed through the chapel. It was beautiful.
    Nope. That sacrament didn't count. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    I visited a ward a couple of weeks where the priest stumbled on a few words, after which the Bishop gave him that nod to do it again. What a dick.
    "In heaven, all the interesting people are missing." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Last sunday my husband gave the sacto prayer, and just paused and faltered, then picked back up strong. No actual mistake but they made him do it again because he paused.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Last sunday my husband gave the sacto prayer, and just paused and faltered, then picked back up strong. No actual mistake but they made him do it again because he paused.
    Really bad form on the bishopric's part. As I think I've written in the distant past, when I was 16 I blessed the sacrament with a fellow priest, Ralph, who had s reading disability. He was extremely nervous to be doing one of the prayers, and he made 4-5 attempts, without success, even though the mistakes weren't major. Asked by the bishop to come in as a kind of relief pitcher, I picked up the save, but it was one of the most unpleasant assignments of my life. I don't think Ralph ever came back to church, and my lame attempt afterwards to ease his humiliation fell flat. Scarred by that experience, whenever I've presided over sacrament administration, the only times I've ever called for a replay was if the bread prayer was switched with the water prayer, and I made it a point to talk to the erring priest later to share a laugh. Pretty much as long as the correct symbol is mentioned, along with God, Jesus Christ, and Amen, I've been fine. I wish Ralph were still around...

Quote Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
    I visited a ward a couple of weeks where the priest stumbled on a few words, after which the Bishop gave him that nod to do it again. What a dick.
    Geez, the kid is trying his best. So he misspoke a few of the words, no need for name calling.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

We have a bunch of old dudes with dementia in the congregation who love to go up after the meeting and point out Sacrament Prayer “mistakes” that weren’t even mistakes, just pauses or different inflections. Dumbest thing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I just took the sacrament to a couple this Sunday, where the man is on hospice. They just had a cracker to use, so when I was saying (reading aloud from D&C 20) the prayer I got to the bread part and wasn’t sure if I should say bread or cracker. I just went with bread since it was in the scriptures. But when I went to bless the water the scripture used the word wine, so I changed it. I then felt immediately dumb for not saying cracker in the first prayer.
    One of my mission areas was an Indian colony in the middle of nowhere, argentina. We met in a mud chapel and the members typically brought the bread. One sunday the bread didnt arrive. No one near the chapel had any and we were miles from anywhere we could hope to find some. So we picked some grapefruit off the tree outside and used that. I drew the bread prayer and when I got to "bread" I had the same hesitancy. I actually looked at my companion who just gave me the "I dunno" shrug. I went with "pomelo" because it just felt weird calling a grapefruit bread. I hope the prayer counted.

That’s ludicrous.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
    My son recently had to do it 5 times. It was also his first time blessing the sacrament.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    One of my mission areas was an Indian colony in the middle of nowhere, argentina. We met in a mud chapel and the members typically brought the bread. One sunday the bread didnt arrive. No one near the chapel had any and we were miles from anywhere we could hope to find some. So we picked some grapefruit off the tree outside and used that. I drew the bread prayer and when I got to "bread" I had the same hesitancy. I actually looked at my companion who just gave me the "I dunno" shrug. I went with "pomelo" because it just felt weird calling a grapefruit bread. I hope the prayer counted.
    I would have been more concerned whether the fruit counted.