Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Hold my root beer! That might be next.
    He is too busy making sure that people can't buy beer in grocery stores to get to that.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      I bet there's a way you could parent in that same style through regular contact. You might even be more effective.
      Exactly right. We scaffold now so that when we remove the scaffolding later the child can find his or her own way.
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
        LOL at all of you hard-ass former missionaries looking down on 18-year old kids that love and miss their families.
        Let's not forget how we all walked to school through 2 feet of snow uphill both ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
          I tell my kids all the time that if they choose to serve that I will not read their e-mails, only their letters. And that I will only respond in writing. I intend to honor that. As I see it, there is wisdom in delayed gratification (e.g. delayed parental intervention) to allow kids to work out solutions to their own problems, especially when those problems are relatively small. That is something we model now and I don't see that changing when my kids leave on their missions (if they choose to serve). I may be in for a rude surprise; if so, then I will consider the years of preparing my kids to do hard things somewhat of a failure.

But my wife makes her living by conducting weekly interventions with young persons; I'll be curious to see where she lands on this when we talk about this at home.
          You only communicate with your kids through writing? That could make for a quieter home, I suppose.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
            I tell my kids all the time that if they choose to serve that I will not read their e-mails, only their letters. And that I will only respond in writing. I intend to honor that. As I see it, there is wisdom in delayed gratification (e.g. delayed parental intervention) to allow kids to work out solutions to their own problems, especially when those problems are relatively small. That is something we model now and I don't see that changing when my kids leave on their missions (if they choose to serve). I may be in for a rude surprise; if so, then I will consider the years of preparing my kids to do hard things somewhat of a failure.

But my wife makes her living by conducting weekly interventions with young persons; I'll be curious to see where she lands on this when we talk about this at home.
            Handwritten letters. Lol.

The flaw in your logic is the notion that a phone call would mean your kid is not learning how to deal with hard things. Missions will still be incredibly difficult and challenging even if a missionary is having a one-hour phone call each week vs. writing emails (or letters) for an hour. And you could certainly still coach your kid on working out solutions to their own problems.

Also, this is not a requirement, it is an option. From the press release:

It is not expected that all missionaries will call or video chat with their parents every week. The precise manner of communication is left up to the missionary as he or she decides what will best meet their needs.”

Elder Uchtdorf said the new guidelines offer several additional benefits, including accommodating varied family circumstances, as well as better supporting those missionaries who would benefit from increased personal contact with family at home.
            Also:

He rejected the philosophy that calling home more than twice a year will weaken or distract missionaries.

“Our missionaries are pretty tough,” said Elder Uchtdorf. “They receive rejection every day. They have tough weather conditions. They have to learn a lot. They have to work with new cultures, with new circumstances. But above all, they know in their hearts and minds that they are servants and representatives of the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Further, Elder Uchtdorf said new options of communication with home will be a motivating force, not a distraction. After their communication with families—in whatever form the missionaries select—they can “go out there and serve the Lord with even a brighter heart, a more joyful countenance.” They can smile at the people they meet and teach and say, “‘I just talked to my parents. They send their greetings and they send their love.’”
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
              Walter, I hope your children do not go on missions
              Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
              He is too busy making sure that people can't buy beer in grocery stores to get to that.
              Funk, these snarky quips probably kill on Reddit, but in this thread they make you look like the little dog nipping at the heels of the caravan.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• I really have no opinion on if this is good or bad. It was inevitable so it’s kind of a meh. I’d love to talk to my kids once a week while they are on missions, but I doubt I’d FaceTime them each week. Maybe once a month and email the other times. I honestly don’t have the time to do it during the day every week and I doubt they’ll be allowed to do it at night during prime finding/teaching hours.

But I’m glad the kids that struggle and need it will get the help they need.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• i have no idea how i feel about it, alas, i haven't sent any kids on missions yet. i liked the experience of cutting the cord completely outside of mother's day and xmas. for me, i feel like that was the best way to do things. i was the homesick type and forcing me to be completely cut off from my family was exactly what i needed.

but that doesn't mean it's the right way to do things. my gut is, this is a good move despite the fact my personal experience tells me i should disagree.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Funk, these snarky quips probably kill on Reddit, but in this thread they make you look like the little dog nipping at the heels of the caravan.
                    He has a reputation/stereotype to uphold.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      I really have no opinion on if this is good or bad. It was inevitable so it’s kind of a meh. I’d love to talk to my kids once a week while they are on missions, but I doubt I’d FaceTime them each week. Maybe once a month and email the other times. I honestly don’t have the time to do it during the day every week and I doubt they’ll be allowed to do it at night during prime finding/teaching hours.

I’m going to backpedal a bit and say that,
                      after checking Twitter, I’m happy this change was made. The progmo crowd is totally confused and not sure how to take this news. Seems like they were the ones calling for this change but now they are starting to realize that they are running out of stuff to complain about.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

after checking Twitter, I’m happy this change was made. The progmo crowd is totally confused and not sure how to take this news. Seems like they were the ones calling for this change but now they are starting to realize that they are running out of stuff to complain about.
                        Really? I must be looking at a different crowd. Even Saint Dehlin is congratulating the church.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

He he. It is so funny. In all aspects of life you can always tell when someone is complaining because they want change versus just to have a reason to find fault with an organization when the change is eventually made. Those who sincerely wanted change are grateful and happy. Human nature.

Comment

Funny you should mention that. About a week ago I saw a long thread on twitter where some ex-mo was in a rage about how cruel it is that missionaries are not allowed to phone home more often. I wonder how that guy responded to the news. Probably bitching about beer sales in Utah or something.

Comment

I really have no opinion on if this is good or bad. It was inevitable so it’s kind of a meh. I’d love to talk to my kids once a week while they are on missions, but I doubt I’d FaceTime them each week. Maybe once a month and email the other times. I honestly don’t have the time to do it during the day every week and I doubt they’ll be allowed to do it at night during prime finding/teaching hours.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

My son's P-day is Monday. Obviously they still have the "p-day ends at 6pm" rule. And I work late on Monday anyway - so I'm rarely home before 10pm or so. So - how does the phone call thing work? Does he call Mom at her work and then me at mine? Does he get up early to call before either of us leave the home for the day to go to work? Do we do a 3 way conference call at a certain time each week?

I don't think calls will be weekly. And I hope there are still emails - because the extended family and siblings love those. But it will be interesting to see what new complications this brings - welcome as those complications are.

Comment

• It’s truly amazing to me watching people choose which hills they’ll die on.
                                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                                X