Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brian View Post
    I had mostly good teachers.
    My 9th grade teacher in JR high was a bit of a crusty old hard liner, but the rest were really good guys.
    I took EMS at the high school building in 10th grade because I wanted to take an extra class. But I didn’t go consistently enough for credit, and so didn’t graduate from seminary. My grade 11 guy was a really good RB at highland HS back in the day and showed us some highlight films. That was fun. For grade 12 I had Vaughn Featherstones son, who was a lot of fun. Very unorthodox, fun lessons. I don’t know how he made it through the seminary teacher program......

All in all, I enjoyed it.

EMS outside of Utah can be very hit and miss (in my three state experience). Scary hit and miss.
    My daughter didn’t graduate, and we didn’t make her go. A lot of it was counterproductive.
    I had Br Featherstone. He was great. He made getting up for EMS worth it.

I had one of my former seminary teachers as a patient a few months ago. It was interesting to talk with him; he had such a good memory of teaching me and all of my siblings.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
      Never say never, I suppose, but I'm pretty sure they won't let the sister missionaries date each other.
      They’ve always allowed that. It’s the elders and sisters that couldn’t date.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
        Either legalize coffee and tea or outlaw these Bang drinks.

My teenage kids are pounding those and they are 300 mg of caffeine per can.
        I love BANG! BCAAs and Super Creatine with my 300mg of caffeine and no sugar? It’s way better than coffee.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
          The professional seminary teacher pool probably stocked with a whole lotta crazy. To this day, anytime Stairway to Heaven is played, I remember my 9th grade seminary teacher playing that song backward on a turntable that he had brought to class. Don't listen to Rock and Roll kids, it's Satan's music!
          Who the hell listens to music backwards? It sounds like crap.

We got the seminary lecture on Reo Speedwagon's Hi Infidelity album, however. I wasn't really an Reo fan until then. Thinking back I should have thanked him for the album tip.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• My daughter did EMS, but at the regular Utah schools seminary building and the regular full-time paid teachers. She wanted more time in her school schedule for classes she was interested in. All of my kids teachers have been great so far - just one kid with a couple of years to finish.

That said - I know there are some crazy ones out there. I had a friend talk me into doing looking at it as a career and ended up teaching part-time for about half of a school year when a teacher broke his back and was in the hospital for several months. There was one kid at the building that most of the kids loved because he was funny, had great stories, and just drew them in. Then I had a couple of kids tell me that when he taught about the law of chastity he told them that when they really knew about how important being chaste, how important it was to not give in to carnal appetites and learn self control and truly learned to respect the powers of procreation, they would only have sex with their spouse when they were trying to get pregnant and have children

One of the kids who told me this, I'm pretty sure he was all in and believed it.

Another kid who told me - I'm pretty sure he was looking for a second opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              Who the hell listens to music backwards? It sounds like crap.

We got the seminary lecture on Reo Speedwagon's Hi Infidelity album, however. I wasn't really an Reo fan until then. Thinking back I should have thanked him for the album tip.
              What was wrong with that album? Seems pretty tame when you compare it to ’oh sweet satan’.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                I love BANG! BCAAs and Super Creatine with my 300mg of caffeine and no sugar? It’s way better than coffee.
                I love the Rainbow Unicorn BANG!

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  What was wrong with that album? Seems pretty tame when you compare it to ’oh sweet satan’.
                  I think he didn't like the cover or something... I would have the album blasting out of my truck with the windows down every morning as I pulled into seminary.

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Ha. I had forgotten about that album cover.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      I think he didn't like the cover or something... I would have the album blasting out of my truck with the windows down every morning as I pulled into seminary.

Rare footage of Ted pulling into Seminary:

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                        Rare footage of Ted pulling into Seminary:

Here's a shot of the inside:

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                          My daughter did EMS, but at the regular Utah schools seminary building and the regular full-time paid teachers. She wanted more time in her school schedule for classes she was interested in. All of my kids teachers have been great so far - just one kid with a couple of years to finish.

That said - I know there are some crazy ones out there. I had a friend talk me into doing looking at it as a career and ended up teaching part-time for about half of a school year when a teacher broke his back and was in the hospital for several months. There was one kid at the building that most of the kids loved because he was funny, had great stories, and just drew them in. Then I had a couple of kids tell me that when he taught about the law of chastity he told them that when they really knew about how important being chaste, how important it was to not give in to carnal appetites and learn self control and truly learned to respect the powers of procreation, they would only have sex with their spouse when they were trying to get pregnant and have children

One of the kids who told me this, I'm pretty sure he was all in and believed it.

Another kid who told me - I'm pretty sure he was looking for a second opinion.
                          I think I’ve mentioned this before, but one of the kid’s I went to high school with became a full time seminary teacher. He was the starting qb of the football team, family had money, popular kid. Not necessarily one you considered to be super religious. He dated and eventually married a girl that grew up around the corner from me. He seemed to love his job working with kids and being in a position to have a positive influence on their lives and their pursuit of happiness.

Then about 5 years ago, she filed for divorce. Not only did that seem to be a sucker punch to him and then having to fight for custody of their four kids, but because he was now single, he was promptly fired from his seminary gig. Apparently, like bishops, there are rules about that. Since then, he has been involved in about every random sales pitchy/mlm job one could think of. Like 4 to 5 different things every year. His Facebook page lists his job as “Self-Employed at 1 Year to Live Executive Coaching” above “Studies MBA at Westminster.” Yikes. He recently got engaged, so hopefully all of this nonsense comes to an end soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
                            Here's a shot of the inside:

No... my hair was longer.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• The rumor about mission calls being issued without the duration being stated... totally true:

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• My mother lives in Centerville, Utah and has a couple of members of her ward who she considers to be well-placed in the church HQ (I am not sure this is true, which annoys her). That said, she has never been one for rumor mongering about the church so I was very surprised yesterday when I asked if she had heard any rumors she thought were credible and she rattled off the following:

1. Change to variable or shorter mission lengths.

2. Change to rules regarding wearing of the garment; less restrictive.

3. Changes to the WoW to allow for coffee or tea or some alcohol or simply to remove it from the temple recommend question list.

She thinks the first one is very likely. The other two not as much.

I have no idea if there is any basis to any of this, but it certainly says something that her ward is chatting about this sort of stuff, as that ward tends to be about as orthodox and true blue as you can imagine.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X