"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Here is how I would spin it: Announce that they are changing Preach My Gospel and missionary guidelines so that quitting coffee and tea will be encouraged but will no longer be a requirement for baptism. "We want everyone to partake in the great blessings of the gospel and do not want this to be a barrier." Also give bishops/SPs instructions to not withhold temple recs over coffee/tea.
    It's a shame that they need to spin it at all. Just be honest and say God used to hate coffee but decided to try a cafe latte and decided it wasn't too bad. People will understand.
    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
      I heard that Eyring said that people from Washington and Oregon would struggle moderately with the new changes, and that people from California would be fine with them.
      People from Oregon didn't struggle crossing the plains. They got to Utah and said - "this isn't the place for us" and kept walking another 900 miles. I pretty sure we can handle the mystery announcement round.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
        There's a rumor that Elder Bednar told stake presidents recently that members from UT, ID and AZ would generally struggle more with the upcoming changes.
        Not WoW changes then.
        We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
          There's a rumor that Elder Bednar told stake presidents recently that members from UT, ID and AZ would generally struggle more with the upcoming changes.
          Probably has to do with the anti-MLM and financial readiness lesson to be given the 5th Sunday.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            Probably has to do with the anti-MLM and financial readiness lesson to be given the 5th Sunday.
            Good call. Hopefully BYU has wrung out all it can from NuSkin before this happens.

Comment

• I wonder how Elder Roney will take this.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                Funeral potatoes being added to the WoW naughty list?
                Green jello.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                  A new revelation would do it, especially one that incorporates some of the language from D&C 89.

I wouldn't bet against Pres. Nelson being up for this. He really is the "Hold my root beer" prophet.

Anecdotally, Stephen L. Richards was worried we were going the wrong direction on the WoW way back in the early 1930s.
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Here is how I would spin it: Announce that they are changing Preach My Gospel and missionary guidelines so that quitting coffee and tea will be encouraged but will no longer be a requirement for baptism. "We want everyone to partake in the great blessings of the gospel and do not want this to be a barrier." Also give bishops/SPs instructions to not withhold temple recs over coffee/tea.
                  Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                  Very reasonable. Something like this could happen.
                  Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                  If something like this happens it will truly be a revelation because I’m sure RMN and colleagues would not come up with this on their own.
                  Originally posted by CJF View Post
                  Makes sense. I agree that’s the way to do it if it were to happen. I’d like to see the same thing for beer and wine. I don’t see how that could ever happen without removing all alcohol. I don’t think that will ever happen.
                  Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  This would get my vote but I have a very hard time seeing how this could happen.
                  F this S.

What are we becoming, a bunch of Adventists?
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                    F this S.

Vegetarians who drink decaf? Man the cafeteria at Loma Linda was terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      Vegetarians who drink decaf? Man the cafeteria at Loma Linda was terrible.
                      No kidding. Hard pass.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        No kidding. Hard pass.
                        my wife was in there 5 days I think and I only ate twice in the cafeteria. Breakfast wasn't so bad, but dinner was terrible. After that I decided I would rather go hungry.

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                          F this S.

Not F this S. F the P!

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            Not F this S. F the P!
                            Yeah, myboynoah=1 sick puppy.

Comment

my wife was in there 5 days I think and I only ate twice in the cafeteria. Breakfast wasn't so bad, but dinner was terrible. After that I decided I would rather go hungry.
                              A hospital had bad food?!?!?!?!?!

Comment

The fried egg sandwich with fries and a side salad is my go-to dinner at the Loma Linda cafeteria. I am also well-acquainted with the Del Taco down the street.
                                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Working...
                                X