"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lol.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
      What's most amazing is that it's viewed as progressive when the Mormon Church decides to allow a missionary to do something so basic as call his/her parents.

I called my parents all the time on my mission.
      Sounds like Satan had quite a strong influence on you. Did you regularly go swimming during your mission?
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post

It's almost like the king being admired for giving food to people that were previously on a king-imposed starvation diet.
        No it’s not almost like that it’s exactly like that! Such a good analogy, BM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          This wouldn’t fly around Paris either. We were allowed to go into Paris every other P-day if we lived within a certain distance. Even my dead companion would be up at 6:30am ready to go into Paris to bum around the tourist sites until the early evening.
          You got Paris, I got Winnipeg. When they were figuring out calls in SLC I can just hear them saying, this kid grew up in Rexburg he won't know any better.

Comment

• BM, if you really believe what your wrote there you have become an exmo cartoon character.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

• I'm glad I never had the expectation of calling my parents. P-day time was precious. It was all about playing ball, going to the beach and visiting the black market. There was never time for calling the folks.
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                I'm glad I never had the expectation of calling my parents. P-day time was precious. It was all about playing ball, going to the beach and visiting the black market. There was never time for calling the folks.
                My first couple of P-days I spent a lot of time writing letters to everyone. After that, I just wrote to those who wrote me. And my letters to my family got shorter and shorter as the weeks and months went on.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I had a companion who wanted to spend 3 hours each P-day writing letters. Great guy, but that fact alone made him my second least favorite companion on my mission.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                    I had a companion who wanted to spend 3 hours each P-day writing letters. Great guy, but that fact alone made him my second least favorite companion on my mission.
                    Ok, I’ll bite. Tell us about the least favorite.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Wrote letters for three and a half hours.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Nothing too dramatic, just worse than three hour letter writing. I was fairly lucky with companions. This guy had a bad temper, yelled a lot, tried to pick fights with people sometimes, and had a lot of run ins with the mission hierarchy. Once he threw an iron across the room into a wall after a particularly heated game of spoons.

We were companions for 3 or 4 months. Shortly afterward, he bought an electric guitar, and sent me a tape of his playing it on the roof of his apartment building, an original composition with a lot of Van Halen-style riffs and the main lyric being a shouted "Doooooowwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnn with unrighteous authority!!!!!!!!!". I wonder if I still have that tape somewhere.

I also had a companion who had legitimate mental health issues. Shortly after we parted ways, he convinced a few sisters that they were possessed and he needed to perform exorcisms. I happened to be in the mission home one day when one of these sisters was thrashing around like Linda Blair on a bed in a guest room. The MP wasn't around, and we were trying to decide at what point we should take her to the hospital. We finally ended up bundling everyone in a mission van and heading over, where the staff treated us like some evil cult who had done something terrible to this poor girl (she was native Chinese, but in our defense, my ex-companion, who was the driver of the whole thing, was as well). Anyway, he didn't make it into the bottom two because while I was with him, he was merely eccentric rather than full on nuts.
                        Last edited by Clark Addison; 02-18-2019, 07:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                          Nothing too dramatic, just worse than three hour letter writing. I was fairly lucky with companions. This guy had a bad temper, yelled a lot, tried to pick fights with people sometimes, and had a lot of run ins with the mission hierarchy. Once he threw an iron across the room into a wall after a particularly heated game of spoons.

We were companions for 3 or 4 months. Shortly afterward, he bought an electric guitar, and sent me a tape of his playing it on the roof of his apartment building, an original composition with a lot of Van Halen-style riffs and the main lyric being a shouted "Doooooowwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnn with unrighteous authority!!!!!!!!!". I wonder if I still have that tape somewhere.

I also had a had at least two companions who had legitimate mental issues. Shortly after we parted ways, he convinced a few sisters that they were possessed and he needed to perform exorcisms. I happened to be in the mission home one day when one of these sisters was thrashing around like Linda Blair on a bed in a guest room. The MP wasn't around, and we were trying to decide at what point we should take her to the hospital. We finally ended up bundling everyone in a mission van and heading over, where the staff treated us like some evil cult who had done something terrible to this poor girl (she was native Chinese, but in our defense, my ex-companion, who was the driver of the whole thing, was as well). Anyway, he didn't make it into the bottom two because while I was with him, he was merely eccentric rather than full on nuts.
                          FIFY

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                            I'm glad I never had the expectation of calling my parents. P-day time was precious. It was all about playing ball, going to the beach and visiting the black market. There was never time for calling the folks.
                            Seriously. What kind of pussy needs to call his parents all the time. Cut the cord, bro.
                            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• From the age of five, I was always 3,000 miles away from one of my parents and usually multiple siblings. The phone was how we stayed connected. I feel like I had a leg up over a lot of the elders who had never been away from their families from a general homesickness perspective, but when things got bad (I got sick, or the mission got really hard), it was distressing not to be able to pick up the phone and give my mom or dad a call.

With seven months left, my stepmom (I've never been close to her) had a brain aneurysm, so my sister (who hates my stepmom) called the mission office and got permission to talk to me. I got a vm from the MP giving me permission to call my sister, and we talked for like three hours (after the obligatory, "well, I hope [stepmom] is okay.") It was awesome. I was serving in a really wealthy area. The people there were either Mormon, uber-Christian, or secular liberals. I was struggling, and our talk gave me a real boost to finish my mission strong. This is the experience I think about when people discussed the cost and benefit of the new rule.

Missions are hard enough. There's no point in isolating these young men and women if staying connected in a viable option.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Had a video chat with my son this morning. It was awesome to see his smiling face - wasn't expecting to see that again until mid-May.

He's doing great. And totally upbeat about everything. Says he's never really been homesick, but he loves that having calls more regularly means that there will be a lot less stress to remember everything he wanted to say or talk about when calls were just twice a year. So far, I love the change. But I am curious about he logistics of p-day being on a weekday and ending at 6pm. If your missionary is in another time zone, maybe it works out better. As it is, I'm not sure about extended phone calls during work hours when potentially both parents are working. There will definitely be some growing pains for some...

Comment

Working...
                                X