"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
    Yeah. Speaking of modesty, it would be nice if it was defined in terms of behaviors instead of inches.

I would also love an adjustment to garments that allowed for shoulders to be exposed. (In my dreams lol).
    So would I.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      As part of Stake Conference today, the presiding Seventy had us sustain leaders from the prophet on down, and then asked us to sustain the following Stake callings... "for now." I was surprised at how many people laughed.
      My wife is in the stake YW presidency. They have a "secret" meeting with one of the stake presidency this week. All three (four?) presidency members and the 1st councilor in the stake presidency. "Secret" I guess because its not on the calendar and he told them to not mention it.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I wish there could be a change that would not keep families separated for weddings. It sucked when my sister got married and my parents couldn’t be in the temple. They did a ring ceremony after and were criticized for it because it supposedly detracted from their “sacred sealing” but give me a break. How is trying to include family in a very special day wrong?
        https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...ml?id=21062783

The post is about a SP talking about how a TR should be for more than just attending weddings, if the church got out of performing weddings it would take care of that problem.

Comment

I wish there could be a change that would not keep families separated for weddings. It sucked when my sister got married and my parents couldn’t be in the temple. They did a ring ceremony after and were criticized for it because it supposedly detracted from their “sacred sealing” but give me a break. How is trying to include family in a very special day wrong?
          None of my wife's siblings were at our wedding. All of them were under the age of 18 and couldn't be there. My brother-in-law will not have any of his siblings at his wedding. His two older siblings are heathens and his non-heathen sibling is 17 years old.
          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
            None of my wife's siblings were at our wedding. All of them were under the age of 18 and couldn't be there. My brother-in-law will not have any of his siblings at his wedding. His two older siblings are heathens and his non-heathen sibling is 17 years old.
            That's right --forgot about the younger kids and unendowed. My baby brother was 7 when I got married and we had to hire a sitter for him to wait with him in the waiting room. My sister had just had a baby who was 2 months old and she was very stressed about leaving her alone during the sealing. I had lots of "heathen" family members who had to chill in the waiting room too. Needless to say, their experience of feeling excluded didn't really warm them up to TCoJCOLD.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
              ...if the church got out of performing weddings it would take care of that problem.
              I hope this happens. In days gone by, in Latin American countries people had to be married civilly before they attended an LDS temple sealing ceremony -- which weren't recognized as lawful marriages. People I know there got married civilly one day, went home separately, then went to their sealing the next day. I don't know if that is still the practice there.
              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

That's right --forgot about the younger kids and unendowed. My baby brother was 7 when I got married and we had to hire a sitter for him to wait with him in the waiting room. My sister had just had a baby who was 2 months old and she was very stressed about leaving her alone during the sealing. I had lots of "heathen" family members who had to chill in the waiting room too. Needless to say, their experience of feeling excluded didn't really warm them up to TCoJCOLD.
                Why would you have to hire a sitter for your brother when you had lots of heathen family members who had to chill in the waiting room? Couldn't your brother have chilled with them?
                Your sister was worried about someone watching her 2 month old for a duration of less than an hour?

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                  Why would you have to hire a sitter for your brother when you had lots of heathen family members who had to chill in the waiting room? Couldn't your brother have chilled with them?
                  Your sister was worried about someone watching her 2 month old for a duration of less than an hour?
                  You've obviously never met her sister's 2-month-old.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

My sister has anxiety and is very protective of her kids so yeah she didn't really trust anyone. Maybe it was the hormones. My relatives didn't arrive at the temple right when we had to be there so yeah, we had to arrange for someone to watch my brother. Basically it was someone at the wedding. We just paid them to do more than just wait. Keeping an eye on my brother is a handful. I think it was one of my husband's sisters who was in high school but I really can't remember all the details as it was over 20 years ago. I just remember I was stressed because I was afraid my sister would bail on me because of the baby and was glad she didn't!
                    Last edited by Soccermom; 01-07-2019, 01:27 PM.

Comment

You leave the child with the heathens for an hour, he or she is at risk of catching heathen. It is not a risk that a faithful Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints should take.
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                        You leave the child with the heathens for an hour, he or she is at risk of catching heathen. It is not a risk that a faithful Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints should take.
                        You seem to speak from experience.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                          I hope this happens. In days gone by, in Latin American countries people had to be married civilly before they attended an LDS temple sealing ceremony -- which weren't recognized as lawful marriages. People I know there got married civilly one day, went home separately, then went to their sealing the next day. I don't know if that is still the practice there.

Comment

I hope this happens. In days gone by, in Latin American countries people had to be married civilly before they attended an LDS temple sealing ceremony -- which weren't recognized as lawful marriages. People I know there got married civilly one day, went home separately where they then got together and proceeded to consummate their civil union, then went to their sealing the next day. I don't know if that is still the practice there.
                            Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
                            Don't worry, LVAllen, I fifh.
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              Don't worry, LVAllen, I fifh.
                              Ha! Maybe, but back in the day that wasn't what was supposed to be done. They went home, got on the bus, and rode for 4 days to the nearest temple in Mesa, AZ, where they ere sealed. Maybe things have changed now that they have 2 temples in Guatemala.
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

This is what happened when my family lived in Germany in the early '70s. We had several brides stay with us till they could get married, civilly first - then a trip to the Swiss Temple.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Working...
                                X