No announcement yet.

"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've had three kids go and come back. I think this is a good policy. With each kid, they had the rule where they were allowed one hour of basically unlimited emailing. So, they would email "I'm on" and then we would get on a computer and start typing and refreshing and going back and forth. So it was basically like we were talking on the phone, it was one hour of communication with sometimes dozens of emails back and forth. It was good for them. Some weeks they needed it more than others. I wouldn't characterize it as wussy helicopter parents or wussy millennials who can't function without mommy and daddy, though there might have been weeks there was some of that going on, and I do have a concern it come become that for many. Overall, I think it's a good change.

Comment

• Oh brother. Lowering the age has apparently caused this (supposed) epidemic, so now let's solve the problem by turning a mission into a two-year summer camp.
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
        I would worry that some families will turn this into a Christmas like phone call every week, everyone has to gather around for the call. I'm glad my two are done and home.
        It won't. It will become more routine. Like a live version of the weekly email.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Disagree. This is a good thing. We have an epidemic now with missionaries coming home early and will make a big dent in the problem.
          I also think this will be HUGE as far as not fomenting bad feelings in those situations when the parents of the missionary are inactive or not members. It kind of reduces the perspective that being a missionary is like joining a cult - with extremely controlled and limited communication with the outside world.

Comment

It won't. It will become more routine. Like a live version of the weekly email.
            E-mail should be done away with too. Hand-written letters only.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
              E-mail should be done away with too. Hand-written letters only.
              I can't wait until your kids go on missions.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• My son at college doesn't even text once a week, so this will be good. This would force him to communicate more often. I think the change to 18 has caused a lot of the problems we are seeing.

Comment

• LOL at all of you hard-ass former missionaries looking down on 18-year old kids that love and miss their families.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Walter, I hope your children do not go on missions, but if they do that they communicate with you in a manner and way that you would prefer.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                      I also think this will be HUGE as far as not fomenting bad feelings in those situations when the parents of the missionary are inactive or not members. It kind of reduces the perspective that being a missionary is like joining a cult - with extremely controlled and limited communication with the outside world.
                      What's next, letting them attend the wedding of their son or daughter.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                        What's next, letting them attend the wedding of their son or daughter.
                        Hold my root beer! That might be next.

Comment

I tell my kids all the time that if they choose to serve that I will not read their e-mails, only their letters. And that I will only respond in writing. I intend to honor that. As I see it, there is wisdom in delayed gratification (e.g. delayed parental intervention) to allow kids to work out solutions to their own problems, especially when those problems are relatively small. That is something we model now and I don't see that changing when my kids leave on their missions (if they choose to serve). I may be in for a rude surprise; if so, then I will consider the years of preparing my kids to do hard things somewhat of a failure.

But my wife makes her living by conducting weekly interventions with young persons; I'll be curious to see where she lands on this when we talk about this at home.

Comment

I tell my kids all the time that if they choose to serve that I will not read their e-mails, only their letters. And that I will only respond in writing. I intend to honor that. As I see it, there is wisdom in delayed gratification (e.g. delayed parental intervention) to allow kids to work out solutions to their own problems, especially when those problems are relatively small. That is something we model now and I don't see that changing when my kids leave on their missions (if they choose to serve). I may be in for a rude surprise; if so, then I will consider the years of preparing my kids to do hard things somewhat of a failure.

But my wife makes her living by conducting weekly interventions with young persons; I'll be curious to see where she lands on this when we talk about this at home.
                            I bet there's a way you could parent in that same style through regular contact. You might even be more effective.

Comment

Walter picks interesting battles...
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                                Walter picks interesting battles...
                                If you aren't following along at home, the Come Follow Me lesson Sunday before last was about (in part) Peter dropping his nets and following Jesus. These aren't battles, they are discussions.

Comment

Working...
                                X