"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

My son's P-day is Monday. Obviously they still have the "p-day ends at 6pm" rule. And I work late on Monday anyway - so I'm rarely home before 10pm or so. So - how does the phone call thing work? Does he call Mom at her work and then me at mine? Does he get up early to call before either of us leave the home for the day to go to work? Do we do a 3 way conference call at a certain time each week?

I don't think calls will be weekly. And I hope there are still emails - because the extended family and siblings love those. But it will be interesting to see what new complications this brings - welcome as those complications are.
    Yeah but they still have P-day Eve, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
      I'm not a helicopter mom, and I think cutting the cord is important, but most of us had our cords slowly cut when we left for college in that we could reach out to our parents and other family whenever we wanted. By the time we left on our missions, we were kind of used to being on our own. Kids who leave at 18, right out of high school get their cord cut pretty abruptly. Cord cutting doesn't mean family support and encouragement have to be cut.
      I agree with this. I remember feeling some homesickness during my first semester at BYU, especially the first couple of weeks. I'd call home and talk with my mom pretty much every Saturday after getting back to the dorm from my shift cleaning the SFLC.

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      i have no idea how i feel about it, alas, i haven't sent any kids on missions yet. i liked the experience of cutting the cord completely outside of mother's day and xmas. for me, i feel like that was the best way to do things. i was the homesick type and forcing me to be completely cut off from my family was exactly what i needed.

but that doesn't mean it's the right way to do things. my gut is, this is a good move despite the fact my personal experience tells me i should disagree.
      I thought the cord being cut made it easier to focus on mission objectives. Pretty much every time I called home, it was hard to re-focus on the work at hand once the call was over and it was time to get back to work. Perhaps, if the calls had been more frequent, then they wouldn't have seemed so disruptive to the mission bubble.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
        I certainly hope so!

To be honest - calls home Sunday after he's home for the night would be awesome. Truly the best time to call.

Comment

When else are you going to play Risk or Spoons?

I am OK with this for the most part. Having said that, I had a couple of companions who I know would have had hour long conversations with their parents every week. I would resented the heck out of their wasting an hour of my precious P-day time.

Comment

LOL. Haven't thought of P-day eve in a long time. Playing spades with the district and a 12:01am run to the convenience store were good times...
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
              When else are you going to play Risk.
              :rockon:
              "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                When else are you going to play Risk or Spoons?

I am OK with this for the most part. Having said that, I had a couple of companions who I know would have had hour long conversations with their parents every week. I would resented the heck out of their wasting an hour of my precious P-day time.
                Yeah I can see this being an issue. I hated when my companions didn't want to go do things or meet up with others to play sports.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

• "Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  Yeah I can see this being an issue. I hated when my companions didn't want to go do things or meet up with others to play sports.
                  This wouldn’t fly around Paris either. We were allowed to go into Paris every other P-day if we lived within a certain distance. Even my dead companion would be up at 6:30am ready to go into Paris to bum around the tourist sites until the early evening.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    This wouldn’t fly around Paris either. We were allowed to go into Paris every other P-day if we lived within a certain distance. Even my dead companion would be up at 6:30am ready to go into Paris to bum around the tourist sites until the early evening.
                    I bet this isn't allowed anymore.

Comment

• Good call. We have technological means of communication that are more effective and inexpensive than ever. Might as well use them. I think this benefits missionaries and families alike.
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Limiting voice contact with family was never a good look. Limiting it to twice a year was cultish. I think a volunteer should be able to call his/her family as they see fit. For some that might be every few months, for others it might be every day for a while. The key is that it’s at their discretion and without shame. I’m a big fan of this change overall

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                          Limiting voice contact with family was never a good look. Limiting it to twice a year was cultish. I think a volunteer should be able to call his/her family as they see fit. For some that might be every few months, for others it might be every day for a while. The key is that it’s at their discretion and without shame. I’m a big fan of this change overall
                          I have known non-members families of missionaries that have developed a huge dislike of the church because of limiting phone calls with their sons while they were on missions. That policy seems has done more harm than good in these types of settings.

I have to laugh at those that say having more contact with their missionary won't be good for whatever reason. OK, then don't allow your missionary son or daughter to call you except on christmas and mother's day (and maybe father's day). I am pretty sure the church won't force your son or daughter to call you more often.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• On balance I like the change. I realize I'm old, but when I was on my mission we couldn't call home period - not on Christmas or Mother's Day. The only exception I remember is when my companion was diagnosed with a bleeding ulcer. The mission pres told him to call his parents after we had seen the doctors and he did.

I don't know if the "No Call" rule had changed by the time JL got to Japan. I understand he served in Osaka a couple of yrs after me.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                              On balance I like the change. I realize I'm old, but when I was on my mission we couldn't call home period - not on Christmas or Mother's Day. The only exception I remember is when my companion was diagnosed with a bleeding ulcer. The mission pres told him to call his parents after we had seen the doctors and he did.

I don't know if the "No Call" rule had changed by the time JL got to Japan. I understand he served in Osaka a couple of yrs after me.
                              No I could not call home either.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                                I have known non-members families of missionaries that have developed a huge dislike of the church because of limiting phone calls with their sons while they were on missions. That policy seems has done more harm than good in these types of settings.

I have to laugh at those that say having more contact with their missionary won't be good for whatever reason. OK, then don't allow your missionary son or daughter to call you except on christmas and mother's day (and maybe father's day). I am pretty sure the church won't force your son or daughter to call you more often.
                                Exactly.

Comment

Working...
                                X