"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
    Maybe they aren't building seminary buildings anymore.

Logistically here in Utah, I see no way to have the space or instructors for everything to be run early morning.
    Maybe they will have online seminary! My kids don't go to early morning seminary. It is too much for them. I let them decide. When school sports take up as much time as they do and then homework, they were barely getting any sleep. It was overwhelming them. Other people make their kids give up their activities but not me. I just bought the seminary manuals and they can study on their own. Some of church is done at home now, why not seminary?

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
      Might want to review 89 again.
      You're right, of course. For me, I would rather have wine available than some of the dishwater swill that Funk gets so excited about.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
        Maybe they will have online seminary! My kids don't go to early morning seminary. It is too much for them. I let them decide. When school sports take up as much time as they do and then homework, they were barely getting any sleep. It was overwhelming them. Other people make their kids give up their activities but not me. I just bought the seminary manuals and they can study on their own. Some of church is done at home now, why not seminary?
        I could get on board with online seminary.

Comment

I could get on board with online seminary.
          WHich is to say you would be ok with no seminary really being done?
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
            You're right, of course. For me, I would rather have wine available than some of the dishwater swill that Funk gets so excited about.
            Wine would be much more appealing to me too. I have no desire to try beer, or coffee and tea for that matter.

Comment

Wine would be much more appealing to me too. I have no desire to try beer, or coffee and tea for that matter.
              Ditto to you and creekster. I have zero desire for beer or wine. I used to drink tea as a kid before I was taught about the WofW. I don't need hot tea, but I love iced tea. Wine would appeal to me though.

Comment

When everyone is sleeping during the early morning seminary class, I don't know how much seminary is being done right now.

Comment

Maybe they aren't building seminary buildings anymore.

Logistically here in Utah, I see no way to have the space or instructors for everything to be run early morning.
                  Logistically it would be easy. It’s probably more difficult where I am. We have 3-4 wards per building and very few are close to the high schools so parents often have to drive to and from seminary. But all the kids fit just fine in the building in the morning. I think our stake center has 7 classes that all start at 6am.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Not sure what your referring to here? Do you think they will now graduate without getting the work done? Will fewer graduate? I would think early morning seminary would be a bigger impediment than joining an online class or doing online work.

Comment

Not sure what your referring to here? Do you think they will now graduate without getting the work done? Will fewer graduate? I would think early morning seminary would be a bigger impediment than joining an online class or doing online work.
                      I was just trying to be funny, without much success. I think that most kids would not do on-line study. It would be even less effective than early morning, which is already not very effective. but I have no idea.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        Logistically it would be easy. It’s probably more difficult where I am. We have 3-4 wards per building and very few are close to the high schools so parents often have to drive to and from seminary. But all the kids fit just fine in the building in the morning. I think our stake center has 7 classes that all start at 6am.
                        And a high school in Utah county would need 20-50 classes.

Comment

And a high school in Utah county would need 20-50 classes.
                          With10-20 church buildings and supported by 30-50 individual wards. Again, not a logistical problem. In fact, it would be easier in Utah than elsewhere.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

You, of all people, should appreciate the merits of being a peculiar people.
                            Yeah, I get really strange looks when I ask for milk instead.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              With10-20 church buildings and supported by 30-50 individual wards. Again, not a logistical problem. In fact, it would be easier in Utah than elsewhere.
                              If they did this, I assume they would start running seminary through the stake and in the UT/ID/AZ corridor where stakes are small (geographically), they would have them meet in a building(s) in the stake.

Otherwise, I would hate being the church close to the school where 200 kids come in every morning and trash.
                              Last edited by beefytee; 03-22-2019, 03:50 PM.

Comment

If they did this, I assume they would start running seminary through the stake and in the UT/ID/AZ corridor where stakes are small (geographically), they would have them meet in a building(s) in the stake.

Otherwise, I would hate being the church close to the school where 200 kids come in every morning and trash.
                                Yes, ours is run through the stake and you’d have to meet in the church buildings. The church could sell their seminary buildings to the school and make some good money plus save a ton of money on not having paid seminary teachers.

And yes, the building gets trashed. Especially the bathrooms.

Comment

Working...
                                X