No announcement yet.

"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a fan of this as an across-the-board change. As needed? Absolutely. Everyone? No. Suck it up and cut the cord. My first inclination is to blame the stupid Millenials who can't hack life without weekly calls to mommy, but in reality this boils down to the fact that GenX helicopter parents are pussies.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      I'm not a fan of this as an across-the-board change. As needed? Absolutely. Everyone? No. Suck it up and cut the cord. My first inclination is to blame the stupid Millenials who can't hack life without weekly calls to mommy, but in reality this boils down to the fact that GenX helicopter parents are pussies.
      Agreed. This is some bullshit.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

Disagree. This is a good thing. We have an epidemic now with missionaries coming home early and will make a big dent in the problem.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Disagree. This is a good thing. We have an epidemic now with missionaries coming home early and will make a big dent in the problem.
          Yes. Counting my son, there were five young men his age who left for missions all about the same time. My son is the only one still out. I'm not a helicopter mom, and I think cutting the cord is important, but most of us had our cords slowly cut when we left for college in that we could reach out to our parents and other family whenever we wanted. By the time we left on our missions, we were kind of used to being on our own. Kids who leave at 18, right out of high school get their cord cut pretty abruptly. Cord cutting doesn't mean family support and encouragement have to be cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
            Yes. Counting my son, there were five young men his age who left for missions all about the same time. My son is the only one still out. I'm not a helicopter mom, and I think cutting the cord is important, but most of us had our cords slowly cut when we left for college in that we could reach out to our parents and other family whenever we wanted. By the time we left on our missions, we were kind of used to being on our own. Kids who leave at 18, right out of high school get their cord cut pretty abruptly. Cord cutting doesn't mean family support and encouragement have to be cut.
            Yes. Suppose you have a kid who suffers from depression. A weekly therapy session with a loved one could be huge. Especially when you have a companion who lacks understanding or empathy.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Yes. Suppose you have a kid who suffers from depression. A weekly therapy session with a loved one could be huge. Especially when you have a companion who lacks understanding or empathy.
              Yes! One of my sons' friends who came home early does suffer from depression so perhaps he would have made it had he been able to call his loved one weekly.

Comment

Like I said, i'm not a fan of it as an across-the-board policy. As needed, definitely.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Good mission presidents already allowed that kind of communication for struggling missionaries. There were missionaries in my mission that could call home as needed and this was 20 years ago.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    Like I said, i'm not a fan of it as an across-the-board policy. As needed, definitely.
                    You couldn't do it selectively. Think of the ridicule and resentment between missionaries when one of them gets to call home each week and the rest only once a year.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      Good mission presidents already allowed that kind of communication for struggling missionaries. There were missionaries in my mission that could call home as needed and this was 20 years ago.
                      Key words being 'good mission presidents.' Not so fortunate for kids who get the stickler types which have definitely existed. This change will make it less dependent on the type of mission president one gets.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                        LOL. My mom would have loved this change. As it was, I wrote home maybe once a month. And when I did, it was pretty meager stuff. If I had this policy, I think near the end of my mission I would end up texting her each week with something like 'I'm good, nothing really new here'.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          LOL. My mom would have loved this change. As it was, I wrote home maybe once a month. And when I did, it was pretty meager stuff. If I had this policy, I think near the end of my mission I would end up texting her each week with something like 'I'm good, nothing really new here'.
                          My parents hardly wrote me on my mission so I could have called them up and said what the heck?

Comment

• I would worry that some families will turn this into a Christmas like phone call every week, everyone has to gather around for the call. I'm glad my two are done and home.

Comment

• Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
                              My parents hardly wrote me on my mission so I could have called them up and said what the heck?
                              Yeah, I guess with the change she would have been me calling for the weekly update. I would not be a fan of this!
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                I guarantee you there were missionaries that called home as needed, whether or not the mission president approved.

Comment

Working...
                                X