Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Default "Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Someone suggested this a while back and it is long overdue - a thread to chronicle the changes instigated by church president Russell M. Nelson. He has now been president for one year. It is mind-blowing what he has accomplished in his first year.

Off the top of my head:

1. Child protection policies - two deep teaching regardless of sex, parents can sit in on interviews, etc.
    2. HT/VT --> Ministering
    3. Consolidation of EQ/HP --> EQ
    4. Church cutting ties with the BSA
    5. Unified hymn book
    6. Emphasis on CoJCOLDS vs Mormon
    7. Two-hour church
    8. Change in how youth progress between classes and quorums
    9. Significant changes to temple ceremonies
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Was talking to someone last night who attended a talk by Elder Holland in the MTC in December. He said that we haven't seen anything yet and that 2019 will be filled with major changes.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Was talking to someone last night who attended a talk by Elder Holland in the MTC in December. He said that we haven't seen anything yet and that 2019 will be filled with major changes.
    1 hour church!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Haha.

I don't get this name change thing, but I am giving him a pass because of everything else.
    Someone suggested this a while back and it is long overdue - a thread to chronicle the changes instigated by church president Russell M. Nelson. He has now been president for one year. It is mind-blowing what he has accomplished in his first year.

Off the top of my head:

1. Child protection policies - two deep teaching regardless of sex, parents can sit in on interviews, etc.
    2. HT/VT --> Ministering
    3. Consolidation of EQ/HP --> EQ
    4. Church cutting ties with the BSA
    5. Unified hymn book
    6. Emphasis on CoJCOLDS vs Mormon
    7. Two-hour church
    8. Change in how youth progress between classes and quorums
    9. Significant changes to temple ceremonies
    FIFY.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Remember when prog-mos were losing their minds because RMN picked DHO over DFU as a counselor in the first presidency? Worried sick that this was going to lead to an ultra-conservative crackdown? Good times.

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

Thumbs up on the thread title.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

I have to nitpick a little:

The hymnbook is only announced. It's going to take some time before it's available and, heaven forbid, President Nelson may not be President when it is finally available. Similarly, many of those initiatives were planned, discussed, trialed, and, yes, prayed over, for some period of time before President Nelson was actually sustained as President.

Slightly related tangent which should probably go in the pet peeves thread: I hate it when people mispronounce his name as "Nielsen", especially when bearing their testimonies in Sacrament Meeting.

I'm actually embarrassed for them that they are seemingly incapable of distinguishing between Nelson and Nielsen.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Slightly related tangent which should probably go in the pet peeves thread: I hate it when people mispronounce his name as "Nielsen", especially when bearing their testimonies in Sacrament Meeting.

I'm actually embarrassed for them that they are seemingly incapable of distinguishing between Nelson and Nielsen.
    lol. somebody in my ward did that just last week and i had the same thought. not that difficult.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Remember when prog-mos were losing their minds because RMN picked DHO over DFU as a counselor in the first presidency? Worried sick that this was going to lead to an ultra-conservative crackdown? Good times.
    The narrative is always the same:

Prog-mo: if only the church would do this or that

The church: does this or that.

Prog-mo: It's not enough, too little too late.

That makes the church irredeemable. In a sense, it's just a denial of the atonement, the past cannot be forgiven under any circumstances.

No statistical reports in general conference.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    I have to nitpick a little:

The hymnbook is only announced. It's going to take some time before it's available and, heaven forbid, President Nelson may not be President when it is finally available. Similarly, many of those initiatives were planned, discussed, trialed, and, yes, prayed over, for some period of time before President Nelson was actually sustained as President.

Do you feel this is an indication how much influence the president has over the workings of the church or do you think TSM and the Lord weren’t on speaking terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    No statistical reports in general conference.
    What? Did they get rid of the audit report, too?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

10. Sister missionaries can wear pants.
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    That's a good one. Back to riding bikes, ladies!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Do you feel this is an indication how much influence the president has over the workings of the church or do you think TSM and the Lord weren’t on speaking terms.
    The former.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

When one's career involves significant work with attribution models, one wants to make sure credit goes where credit is deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    That's a good one. Back to riding bikes, ladies!
    Hopefully setting up chairs will follow
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    I knew I would forget something!

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

President Nelson tweeted as much a few weeks ago.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    President Nelson tweeted as much a few weeks ago.
    Hold onto your butts!
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Hold onto your butts!
    Take your vitamins!!
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    The narrative is always the same:

Prog-mo: if only the church would do this or that

The church: does this or that.

Prog-mo: It's not enough, too little too late.

That makes the church irredeemable. In a sense, it's just a denial of the atonement, the past cannot be forgiven under any circumstances.
    Eh. Do you know a lot of people who claim they would actively participate in church if only their 'demands' are met? From where I see it, most of the beefs with the church are seen as symptoms of lack of divine guidance. Once someone sees it that way, not much is going to drive that person back to a state of active belief. Now I know there are some progmos out there who both actively clamor for change and hold on to some testimony. I see that a few feminist members very happy over the changes in the temple ceremony. But most progmos are still connected to the church in some manner; they are not threatening to leave if the church doesn't change.

Ba bye, honor code! What other changes should I put on my Christmas list this year?

New books of scripture?!?!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Eh. Do you know a lot of people who claim they would actively participate in church if only their 'demands' are met? From where I see it, most of the beefs with the church are seen as symptoms of lack of divine guidance. Once someone sees it that way, not much is going to drive that person back to a state of active belief. Now I know there are some progmos out there who both actively clamor for change and hold on to some testimony. I see that a few feminist members very happy over the changes in the temple ceremony. But most progmos are still connected to the church in some manner; they are not threatening to leave if the church doesn't change.
    It's more than possible that it's just a pretense for what you state, but I can follow my daughter's twitter and find multiple instances of laundry lists from the disaffected. But I quit seeing church as a top-down God led organization years ago. As an organization whose primary purpose is preservation of narrative truth, I fully expect it to always remain behind moral "advances" in broader society. It's exactly what I want from a church.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    New books of scripture?!?!
    Boo! A BoM. A BoM. We have got a BoM and need no more BoM!

11. Online Mission calls.
    12. Consolidated service/proselytizing mission recommendation process.