"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by falafel View Post
    My wife is in the stake YW presidency. They have a "secret" meeting with one of the stake presidency this week. All three (four?) presidency members and the 1st councilor in the stake presidency. "Secret" I guess because its not on the calendar and he told them to not mention it.
    Turned out to be a meeting to talk about another meeting. No release, just wasted time.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
      Ha! Maybe, but back in the day that wasn't what was supposed to be done. They went home, got on the bus, and rode for 4 days to the nearest temple in Mesa, AZ, where they ere sealed. Maybe things have changed now that they have 2 temples in Guatemala.
      Seems super unnecessary. The temple covenant doesn't require chastity between two couples who are legal and lawfully wedded but not yet sealed.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        Seems super unnecessary. The temple covenant doesn't require chastity between two couples who are legal and lawfully wedded but not yet sealed.
        I just work here.
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I just work here.
          Weird because I thought you said you hope it happens.

Comment

I just lurk here.
            FIFY
            Last edited by Donuthole; 01-10-2019, 03:10 PM.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
              Turned out to be a meeting to talk about another meeting. No release, just wasted time.
              Super surprising. IMO, when a church meeting is pushed as being super important, it usually ends up being exactly that with things like new doctrine being learned.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Weird because I thought you said you hope it happens.
                Gotta be careful with that “I thought you said“ stuff. Try to keep up. I would like to see the church to stop marrying people and do only sealings. Very simple. Dayton-level language, in fact.

DH, I appreciate your efforts to monitor my activity on CS. Flattering. Please talk to YO about a rent deal. I’ll pay you each a little something for the space inside your skulls and for my lurking space here.
                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

:bomb:

Comment

Gotta be careful with that “I thought you said“ stuff. Try to keep up. I would like to see the church to stop marrying people and do only sealings. Very simple. Dayton-level language, in fact.

DH, I appreciate your efforts to monitor my activity on CS. Flattering. Please talk to YO about a rent deal. I’ll pay you each a little something for the space inside your skulls and for my lurking space here.
                    lol. Don’t flatter yourself. I never think about you until you post here. But whenever you do, it reminds me that I wish you didn’t.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      lol. Don’t flatter yourself. I never think about you until you post here. But whenever you do, it reminds me that I wish you didn’t.
                      My mere presence here (occasionally, on totally benign subjects) bothers you that much? Of course I am flattered.
                      ― W.H. Auden

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        Super surprising. IMO, when a church meeting is pushed as being super important, it usually ends up being exactly that with things like new doctrine being learned.
                        Ok, that was funny.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I wonder if the church is worried that young couples will hook up before marriage and feel they are okay with the sealing because they are now married. I know when I was in my twenties I could have maneuvered that kind of thinking in my head because of my desire to get laid and the pressure of a temple ceremony.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                            I wonder if the church is worried that young couples will hook up before marriage and feel they are okay with the sealing because they are now married. I know when I was in my twenties I could have maneuvered that kind of thinking in my head because of my desire to get laid and the pressure of a temple ceremony.
                            Interesting point. Probably depends on whether either or both have been endowed. Hooking up early for endowed people has different consequences than the non-anointed. I could see couples where neither has been to the temple hooking up prior to marriage, getting married civilly, and then sealed as you describe. And I could see those that are endowed crying foul. But that fact is, they have entered into covenants that others have not.
                            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/artic...VfjOHH6CK5xzvE

This counts as a hold my rootbeer moment, yeah? I very much approve this change.

Comment

Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
                                https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/artic...VfjOHH6CK5xzvE

This counts as a hold my rootbeer moment, yeah? I very much approve this change.
                                Most helicopter parents will also approve.
                                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Working...
                                X