"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    This claim is a big part of the narrative.
    Ha. Exactly.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Appears that EFY is at an end...or is it?

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
        Appears that EFY is at an end...or is it?
        It's going local. It replaces the youth conference / treks, but not the annual camps. My stake is doing it in 2020. Side note - ward and stake folks in the YM/YW organizations don't attend. Instead, YSA folks get to be called as counselors.

I never attended EFY as a youth because spending $$$ to go to Mormon Camp just didn't appeal to me, and it didn't appeal to my parents' pocketbook. I loved youth conference, though, and I think I went to a couple of events with John Bytheway billed as "Best of EFY".

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
          I never attended EFY as a youth because spending $$$ to go to Mormon Camp just didn't appeal to me, and it didn't appeal to my parents' pocketbook. I loved youth conference, though, and I think I went to a couple of events with John Bytheway billed as "Best of EFY".
          Mormon Camp might have appealed to me as a youth, but I didn't really know EFY existed. Knowing of their existence wouldn't have made much difference since my parents' pocketbook was nonexistent. I did attend a few Best of EFY events - those always had the best-attended youth dances afterward.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            Mormon Camp might have appealed to me as a youth, but I didn't really know EFY existed. Knowing of their existence wouldn't have made much difference since my parents' pocketbook was nonexistent. I did attend a few Best of EFY events - those always had the best-attended youth dances afterward.
            I knew of EFY's existence primarily because I had friends in the ward who would go and talk about it. This was pre-internet, so you either had to know about it to register, or you had to come across a flyer for it posted on the bulletin board in sufficient time to register. Regardless, it's pricey. It currently costs more than most scout camps.

Comment

• This was kind of an expected change since I had heard rumors about EFY replacing some of the camps. I like this change. I’m not a huge fan of EFY in terms of testimony building, but it’s a lot of fun for the kids that go and they all make a bunch of friends and have a bit of a spiritual experience. It’s spendy and also a logistical pain for people not in Utah (my son has done one in Utah and one in college station) and I imagine it’ll be cheaper and closer going forward. I also like the burden of it being off of the stake/ward.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• My kids all seem to have liked EFY. It was a good excuse to get them to spend some time on BYU campus to see if they liked the setting. So we made sure each kid got to Provo at least once through EFY or a sports camp. Other EFYs were in Texas where they would attend with cousins or friends in the ward/stake.

One of the reasons I was an EFY supporter was I got to attend one of the early EFYs in Provo back in the late 1970s. My parents were gone for a month and had arranged for me to live with a local family in the ward but I was not on board with it and didn't understand why I couldn't just stay in the house and work my summer job. A friend in the ward talked me into going to EFY with him. So between Nebraska football camp, EFY in Provo, and backpacking in the Uinitas with my friend and his Dad, I managed to fill the month. One of the reasons I had so much fun at EFY was that the program was still gaining structure and rule enforcement was somewhat lax. So my friend and I cherry picked what EFY events we wanted to participate in and did other things around campus and Provo with the rest of our time. One of the EFY counselors we made friends with was a BYU baseball player and we surprised him by borrowing a car and showing up to his summer league game one evening somewhere in the valley. Another time we borrowed this car and bought pizzas and headed up to Sundance with a couple of girls we met at EFY.
                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Looks like my stake is in the list for next year. Is this basically like free EFY every other year?
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• My boys loved EFY. They got to meet a ton of girls.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• President RMN speaking at the national NAACP convention today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        My boys loved EFY. They got to meet a ton of girls.
                        My sister met her husband at EFY. My parents never sent me, because we became poor between the time she was eligible and I was eligible.
                        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• I went to EFY once at 16. I think it was my first time on the campus since I was a baby. I went with the group of cool youth, but I was anything but. Still, they invited me to break the rules the first night and leave campus to go watch "Top Gun"

The only details I remember were that Brad Wilson gave an emotional lesson, and I was only 1 of 2 in the group that didn't bear their testimonies at the end of the week. The leaders told us we weren't going to leave until everyone gave their testimonies, but we dug in. I was scared to get up, but I also hated the feeling of being forced to say something. I don't think I bore my testimony until my farewell after that. But then I became a Henry Eyring-type blubberer fairly quickly. Go figure.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            President RMN speaking at the national NAACP convention today.
                            I would like to read the whole talk but it sounds like it was very well received. I wondered if there would be any talk of the past but it looks like it was a talk about partnership and moving forward.

Comment

• "Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

President Nelson to national NAACP convention: We want to be 'dear friends'

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ay-saints.html

Complete transcript:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist...ention-remarks
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                Looks like my stake is in the list for next year. Is this basically like free EFY every other year?
                                Looks like San Antonio is a "coordinating council"

Coordinating Council: Texas San Antonio
                                Stakes:
                                • Cedar Park Texas Stake
                                • Round Rock Texas East Stake
                                • Round Rock Texas Stake

Only problem, those are all Austin stakes. Weird.

Comment

Working...
                                X