No announcement yet.

"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nelson is pushing the real name of the church by referencing the section in the D&C where Christ says what his church should be named.

Why can’t Nelson just do the same with the word of wisdom? He can just say that god has been impressing on his mind that we should be more diligent in following the actual wording in D&C 89, which would allow for beer, wine, and coffee/tea (as long as they aren’t too hot). Scale back a bit on meat and continue to not smoke tobacco. Seems like a reasonable solution.

If you’ve ever read the full section 89 during a lesson you realize just how far our current practice is from the actual wording of the revelation.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      Scale back a bit on meat...
      Shut your whore mouth.

Comment

Nelson is pushing the real name of the church by referencing the section in the D&C where Christ says what his church should be named.

Why can’t Nelson just do the same with the word of wisdom? He can just say that god has been impressing on his mind that we should be more diligent in following the actual wording in D&C 89, which would allow for beer, wine, and coffee/tea (as long as they aren’t too hot). Scale back a bit on meat and continue to not smoke tobacco. Seems like a reasonable solution.

If you’ve ever read the full section 89 during a lesson you realize just how far our current practice is from the actual wording of the revelation.
        Because if he emphasized too much on the actual text of the WoW, questions might be raised about the "and not by way of commandment" language.

It's an offer from God. Accept these restrictions (which even the weakest of the Saints should be able to do), receive these blessings. It's not a measure of righteousness. At least, it wasn't not when it was received.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
          Because if he emphasized too much on the actual text of the WoW, questions might be raised about the "and not by way of commandment" language.

It's an offer from God. Accept these restrictions (which even the weakest of the Saints should be able to do), receive these blessings. It's not a measure of righteousness. At least, it wasn't not when it was received.
          Exactly. It would then be removed from the temple recommend questions.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Nelson is pushing the real name of the church by referencing the section in the D&C where Christ says what his church should be named.

No way no how will the alcohol ban be lifted. It's just too ingrained in mormon DNA.

I could see the hot caffeine restriction loosed, but it will be funny if they do it with the modification 'as long as it's not too hot'.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              No way no how will the alcohol ban be lifted. It's just too ingrained in mormon DNA.

I could see the hot caffeine restriction loosed, but it will be funny if they do it with the modification 'as long as it's not too hot'.
              Instead of getting a CTR ring at baptism kids will get a CTR thermometer.
              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Podcast!
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I could see them eventually tweaking the WoW. Coffee/tea holds our missionary efforts back. When you're growing as fast as you want, that's not a problem. But growth is now difficult. And they're getting the research that millennials are drinking coffee anyway. Beer or allowing some type of alcohol? That would be a huge change. That seems more doubtful for the time being. But I highly doubt we see that change this conference. The church was kind of ready for two hour church, because it was rumored for more than 10 years. Put out rumors the church is considering a move to allow coffee, let it sit out there for a while and let members change how they think about it, then maybe make a move after a few years. A change to allow coffee this conference would be really mind blowing for most members.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    I could see them eventually tweaking the WoW. Coffee/tea holds our missionary efforts back. When you're growing as fast as you want, that's not a problem. But growth is now difficult. And they're getting the research that millennials are drinking coffee anyway. Beer or allowing some type of alcohol? That would be a huge change. That seems more doubtful for the time being. But I highly doubt we see that change this conference. The church was kind of ready for two hour church, because it was rumored for more than 10 years. Put out rumors the church is considering a move to allow coffee, let it sit out there for a while and let members change how they think about it, then maybe make a move after a few years. A change to allow coffee this conference would be really mind blowing for most members.
                    The church should at least allow iced tea... in places like Texas that is a staple drink. People look at you funny if you refuse iced tea in the middle of the summer.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      The church should at least allow iced tea... in places like Texas that is a staple drink. People look at you funny if you refuse iced tea in the middle of the summer.
                      You, of all people, should appreciate the merits of being a peculiar people.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Either legalize coffee and tea or outlaw these Bang drinks.

My teenage kids are pounding those and they are 300 mg of caffeine per can.

Comment

Sounds great.

Now do this one:
                          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            There's a rumor that Elder Bednar told stake presidents recently that members from UT, ID and AZ would generally struggle more with the upcoming changes.
                            Does AZ have release time seminary like UT and ID? Maybe they are doing away with it and everyone gets early morning seminary!

Comment

• Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
                              Does AZ have release time seminary like UT and ID? Maybe they are doing away with it and everyone gets early morning seminary!
                              Maybe they aren't building seminary buildings anymore.

Logistically here in Utah, I see no way to have the space or instructors for everything to be run early morning.

Comment

Might want to review 89 again.
                                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                                X