"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Someone suggested this a while back and it is long overdue - a thread to chronicle the changes instigated by church president Russell M. Nelson. He has now been president for one year. It is mind-blowing what he has accomplished in his first year.

Off the top of my head:

1. Child protection policies - two deep teaching regardless of sex, parents can sit in on interviews, etc.
    2. HT/VT --> Ministering
    3. Consolidation of EQ/HP --> EQ
    4. Church cutting ties with the BSA
    5. Unified hymn book
    6. Emphasis on CoJCOLDS vs Mormon
    7. Two-hour church
    8. Change in how youth progress between classes and quorums
    9. Significant changes to temple ceremonies
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Was talking to someone last night who attended a talk by Elder Holland in the MTC in December. He said that we haven't seen anything yet and that 2019 will be filled with major changes.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Was talking to someone last night who attended a talk by Elder Holland in the MTC in December. He said that we haven't seen anything yet and that 2019 will be filled with major changes.
      1 hour church!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Haha.

I don't get this name change thing, but I am giving him a pass because of everything else.
        Someone suggested this a while back and it is long overdue - a thread to chronicle the changes instigated by church president Russell M. Nelson. He has now been president for one year. It is mind-blowing what he has accomplished in his first year.

Off the top of my head:

1. Child protection policies - two deep teaching regardless of sex, parents can sit in on interviews, etc.
        2. HT/VT --> Ministering
        3. Consolidation of EQ/HP --> EQ
        4. Church cutting ties with the BSA
        5. Unified hymn book
        6. Emphasis on CoJCOLDS vs Mormon
        7. Two-hour church
        8. Change in how youth progress between classes and quorums
        9. Significant changes to temple ceremonies
        FIFY.
        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Remember when prog-mos were losing their minds because RMN picked DHO over DFU as a counselor in the first presidency? Worried sick that this was going to lead to an ultra-conservative crackdown? Good times.

Comment

Thumbs up on the thread title.
            "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

I have to nitpick a little:

The hymnbook is only announced. It's going to take some time before it's available and, heaven forbid, President Nelson may not be President when it is finally available. Similarly, many of those initiatives were planned, discussed, trialed, and, yes, prayed over, for some period of time before President Nelson was actually sustained as President.

Comment

Slightly related tangent which should probably go in the pet peeves thread: I hate it when people mispronounce his name as "Nielsen", especially when bearing their testimonies in Sacrament Meeting.

I'm actually embarrassed for them that they are seemingly incapable of distinguishing between Nelson and Nielsen.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                  Slightly related tangent which should probably go in the pet peeves thread: I hate it when people mispronounce his name as "Nielsen", especially when bearing their testimonies in Sacrament Meeting.

I'm actually embarrassed for them that they are seemingly incapable of distinguishing between Nelson and Nielsen.
                  lol. somebody in my ward did that just last week and i had the same thought. not that difficult.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

Remember when prog-mos were losing their minds because RMN picked DHO over DFU as a counselor in the first presidency? Worried sick that this was going to lead to an ultra-conservative crackdown? Good times.
                    The narrative is always the same:

Prog-mo: if only the church would do this or that

The church: does this or that.

Prog-mo: It's not enough, too little too late.

That makes the church irredeemable. In a sense, it's just a denial of the atonement, the past cannot be forgiven under any circumstances.

Comment

No statistical reports in general conference.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                        I have to nitpick a little:

The hymnbook is only announced. It's going to take some time before it's available and, heaven forbid, President Nelson may not be President when it is finally available. Similarly, many of those initiatives were planned, discussed, trialed, and, yes, prayed over, for some period of time before President Nelson was actually sustained as President.

Comment

Do you feel this is an indication how much influence the president has over the workings of the church or do you think TSM and the Lord weren’t on speaking terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            No statistical reports in general conference.
                            What? Did they get rid of the audit report, too?
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

10. Sister missionaries can wear pants.
                              One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                              SU

Comment

Working...
                              X