Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: "Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Quote Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
    My MTC companion was a UF Gator. During one of our call center shifts, he called someone who was watching the UF - FSU game, when FSU was ranked #1 the entire season and went 12-0. He spent probably a good 20 minutes on that call, mostly just getting updates on the score. To my knowledge, that was the most successful interaction any of us really had, unless you count the in-the-field missionaries who would call up just to screw with us.
    Speaking of infield missionaries calling to screw with us the Saturdau before I got to the field some of us were doing member surveys of recent converts. Conclude by pushing for reveal. There is someone for you we had to think of people they knew.

Well one missionary says I have this reddest referral. He has been a Catholic all of his life he is ready to change. Was the name of our Mission President. We told our MTC teachers and parents at the airport about the referral what our mp did. MTC camp handed Jim the ref rap said what he learned in MTC.

Come to find out it was missionary impersonating President. Wanting to probably see wh got the referral. I told my MTC comp later about that. I donlt know who's better prepared tele center or non Telecenter missionaries. Telecenter missionaries knew a lot in referral center.

Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    From Google:

Like I said. Gray.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

I find this rather weird. I never liked the hero worship of Apostles even when I was a Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

https://blog.deseretbook.com/news/20...lson-artifacts

Until Fatherís Day, walk through the front doors of the store and take a deeper look into President Nelsonís journey through a series of mementos, vignettes and photographs of important and meaningful moments throughout his life. See his navy R.O.T.C and army uniforms from his service as a young man, take a closer look at a cherished puzzle he put together with family members (one of his favorite hobbies) and picture yourself sitting at the same desk he spent many hours studying at during his days in medical school. These items and more help to paint a picture of the life he led and the journey he took on his way to becoming the current President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Uh....... ok.

I guess this is the price we pay for two hour church.
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    I find this rather weird. I never liked the hero worship of Apostles even when I was a Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

bh roberts would be super pissed!
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Uh....... ok.

I guess this is the price we pay for two hour church.
    Totally worth it!
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

If they included some of his pioneering work with cardiac surgery, I would consider dropping in. But a puzzle?!? C'mon. He isn't more interesting than that?

I was just thinking of some reforms I'd love to see Pres. Nelson enact in the Church, and not a lot came to mind (at least, none that are realistic), but one I'd love to see revised is how we treat people who are incarcerated/on probation/on parole.

I taught a guy on my mission who was really thoughtful about the church and eventually committed to being baptized. He was on probation for a unique Oregon law that prohibits shouting/arguing in front of children and therefore couldn't pass his baptism interview. He went to church for a few months after, but I think the lack of acceptance stung a little.

I can't help but think our policies on excommunicating felons, refusing baptism to those on probation, etc. is mostly a perception-driven policy. I'm no scriptorian, but I can't think of a single instance in the scriptures where blessings were withheld based on criminal history/record. If the gift of the Holy Ghost is real and if exercising priesthood has real impact on the lives of the holder and others, is there a group of people that need those gifts more than those who are paying their debt to society?
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I was just thinking of some reforms I'd love to see Pres. Nelson enact in the Church, and not a lot came to mind (at least, none that are realistic), but one I'd love to see revised is how we treat people who are incarcerated/on probation/on parole.

I taught a guy on my mission who was really thoughtful about the church and eventually committed to being baptized. He was on probation for a unique Oregon law that prohibits shouting/arguing in front of children and therefore couldn't pass his baptism interview. He went to church for a few months after, but I think the lack of acceptance stung a little.

I can't help but think our policies on excommunicating felons, refusing baptism to those on probation, etc. is mostly a perception-driven policy. I'm no scriptorian, but I can't think of a single instance in the scriptures where blessings were withheld based on criminal history/record. If the gift of the Holy Ghost is real and if exercising priesthood has real impact on the lives of the holder and others, is there a group of people that need those gifts more than those who are paying their debt to society?
    Have you spent much time talking with those who are called to serve in prison branches or are otherwise called to minister to those who are incarcerated? I haven't, but I know those callings exist. I would be curious to know what their thoughts are on the various policies.

I had no idea there were any such policies.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I had no idea there were any such policies.
    As of 2010 (that's the latest Handbook 1 I could find online), First Presidency approval is necessary to baptize someone who is on Probation/Parole (16.3.14).

Missionaries cannot teach incarcerated persons (same reference), although I think Big Piney is right that there are callings/missions to work in prisons and jails.

High-ranking church leaders (bishop, SP, AA, and GAs) are subject to discipline for certain crimes (tax evasion, embezzlement, fraud, perjury, false swearting), etc., but it's not clear that felons that are not church leaders are automatically disciplined. Often the nature of the crime committed (murder, child abuse, etc.) and not the conviction itself are grounds for excommunication (6.7.2/3).
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

President Nelson meets with Pulse nightclub owner.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

The elevation of one’s middle initial to sacred upon receiving the call up to the Church tower and meaningless voting. I’ve already received confirmation that neither of these are important to HF.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    The elevation of oneís middle initial to sacred upon receiving the call up to the Church tower and meaningless voting. Iíve already received confirmation that neither of these are important to HF.
    I am elevating my left arm in solidarity with your assertion.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    The elevation of one’s middle initial to sacred upon receiving the call up to the Church tower and meaningless voting. I’ve already received confirmation that neither of these are important to HF.
    If so, then why did you use your middle initial instead of your last?
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I like the ones that are about opioid addiction and say "A Word of Wisdom" on them.

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"