Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: "Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Quote Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
    My MTC companion was a UF Gator. During one of our call center shifts, he called someone who was watching the UF - FSU game, when FSU was ranked #1 the entire season and went 12-0. He spent probably a good 20 minutes on that call, mostly just getting updates on the score. To my knowledge, that was the most successful interaction any of us really had, unless you count the in-the-field missionaries who would call up just to screw with us.
    Speaking of infield missionaries calling to screw with us the Saturdau before I got to the field some of us were doing member surveys of recent converts. Conclude by pushing for reveal. There is someone for you we had to think of people they knew.

Well one missionary says I have this reddest referral. He has been a Catholic all of his life he is ready to change. Was the name of our Mission President. We told our MTC teachers and parents at the airport about the referral what our mp did. MTC camp handed Jim the ref rap said what he learned in MTC.

Come to find out it was missionary impersonating President. Wanting to probably see wh got the referral. I told my MTC comp later about that. I donlt know who's better prepared tele center or non Telecenter missionaries. Telecenter missionaries knew a lot in referral center.

Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    From Google:

Like I said. Gray.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

I find this rather weird. I never liked the hero worship of Apostles even when I was a Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

https://blog.deseretbook.com/news/20...lson-artifacts

Until Father’s Day, walk through the front doors of the store and take a deeper look into President Nelson’s journey through a series of mementos, vignettes and photographs of important and meaningful moments throughout his life. See his navy R.O.T.C and army uniforms from his service as a young man, take a closer look at a cherished puzzle he put together with family members (one of his favorite hobbies) and picture yourself sitting at the same desk he spent many hours studying at during his days in medical school. These items and more help to paint a picture of the life he led and the journey he took on his way to becoming the current President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Uh....... ok.

I guess this is the price we pay for two hour church.
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    I find this rather weird. I never liked the hero worship of Apostles even when I was a Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

bh roberts would be super pissed!
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Uh....... ok.

I guess this is the price we pay for two hour church.
    Totally worth it!
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

If they included some of his pioneering work with cardiac surgery, I would consider dropping in. But a puzzle?!? C'mon. He isn't more interesting than that?

I was just thinking of some reforms I'd love to see Pres. Nelson enact in the Church, and not a lot came to mind (at least, none that are realistic), but one I'd love to see revised is how we treat people who are incarcerated/on probation/on parole.

I taught a guy on my mission who was really thoughtful about the church and eventually committed to being baptized. He was on probation for a unique Oregon law that prohibits shouting/arguing in front of children and therefore couldn't pass his baptism interview. He went to church for a few months after, but I think the lack of acceptance stung a little.

I can't help but think our policies on excommunicating felons, refusing baptism to those on probation, etc. is mostly a perception-driven policy. I'm no scriptorian, but I can't think of a single instance in the scriptures where blessings were withheld based on criminal history/record. If the gift of the Holy Ghost is real and if exercising priesthood has real impact on the lives of the holder and others, is there a group of people that need those gifts more than those who are paying their debt to society?
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I was just thinking of some reforms I'd love to see Pres. Nelson enact in the Church, and not a lot came to mind (at least, none that are realistic), but one I'd love to see revised is how we treat people who are incarcerated/on probation/on parole.

I taught a guy on my mission who was really thoughtful about the church and eventually committed to being baptized. He was on probation for a unique Oregon law that prohibits shouting/arguing in front of children and therefore couldn't pass his baptism interview. He went to church for a few months after, but I think the lack of acceptance stung a little.

I can't help but think our policies on excommunicating felons, refusing baptism to those on probation, etc. is mostly a perception-driven policy. I'm no scriptorian, but I can't think of a single instance in the scriptures where blessings were withheld based on criminal history/record. If the gift of the Holy Ghost is real and if exercising priesthood has real impact on the lives of the holder and others, is there a group of people that need those gifts more than those who are paying their debt to society?
    Have you spent much time talking with those who are called to serve in prison branches or are otherwise called to minister to those who are incarcerated? I haven't, but I know those callings exist. I would be curious to know what their thoughts are on the various policies.

I had no idea there were any such policies.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I had no idea there were any such policies.
    As of 2010 (that's the latest Handbook 1 I could find online), First Presidency approval is necessary to baptize someone who is on Probation/Parole (16.3.14).

Missionaries cannot teach incarcerated persons (same reference), although I think Big Piney is right that there are callings/missions to work in prisons and jails.

High-ranking church leaders (bishop, SP, AA, and GAs) are subject to discipline for certain crimes (tax evasion, embezzlement, fraud, perjury, false swearting), etc., but it's not clear that felons that are not church leaders are automatically disciplined. Often the nature of the crime committed (murder, child abuse, etc.) and not the conviction itself are grounds for excommunication (6.7.2/3).
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

President Nelson meets with Pulse nightclub owner.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

The elevation of one’s middle initial to sacred upon receiving the call up to the Church tower and meaningless voting. I’ve already received confirmation that neither of these are important to HF.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    The elevation of one’s middle initial to sacred upon receiving the call up to the Church tower and meaningless voting. I’ve already received confirmation that neither of these are important to HF.
    I am elevating my left arm in solidarity with your assertion.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    If so, then why did you use your middle initial instead of your last?
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I like the ones that are about opioid addiction and say "A Word of Wisdom" on them.

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Maybe there's a thread already about missionary work, but since the leadership conference came under President Nelson's watch, I'll put it here.

It's been 30 years (this month) since I returned from my mission in Barcelona, Spain where I was exposed (in the second half of my mission) to some questionable proselyting principles. It's a little late, but I'm glad these are finally being called out as the unhealthy practices that they are. I hope they publish the full text of this talk.

Speaking to 164 new mission presidents and their companions gathered at the Provo Missionary Training Center for the conference, President Ballard said gospel invitations — especially invitations to be baptized — should be Spirit-led.

Some missionaries have felt pressure to invite people to be baptized during the first lesson or even the first contact. “These missionaries have felt that inviting people to be baptized the very first time they meet them demonstrated the missionaries’ faith and supports their thinking that inviting people to be baptized early is what is expected,” he said. “Other missionaries have felt that an invitation to be baptized early allowed them to promptly separate the wheat from the tares. In this case, some see the baptismal invitation as a sifting tool.”

Church leaders don’t know where these practices began, but “it was never our intention to invite people to be baptized before they had learned something about the gospel, felt the Holy Ghost, and had been properly prepared to accept a lifelong commitment to follow Jesus Christ,” said President Ballard. “Our retention rates will dramatically increase when people desire to be baptized because of the spiritual experiences they are having rather than feeling pressured into being baptized by our missionaries.”
    Other problems this practice has created include:

1. First, some Latter-day Saints are hesitant to share the names of families and friends with missionaries because the members worry the missionaries will extend invitations for baptism before the person being introduced is prepared and ready to be baptized.
    2. Second, missionaries sometimes feel like salespeople who have to achieve baptismal goals; therefore, the missionaries use high-pressure tactics to rush people into the baptismal font. Such a culture can ultimately hurt the faith of the missionaries who may return home feeling guilty for their actions in this regard.
    3. Third, some people have stopped meeting with missionaries because a premature baptism invitation was given too early in their spiritual journey. They feel like missionaries are more interested in the baptism event than in what they are really experiencing spiritually.

President Ballard said the Book of Mormon clearly teaches that commandments or invitations should be given in context.
    Missionaries should be taught to determine by the Spirit when an invitation to be baptized is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    Maybe there's a thread already about missionary work, but since the leadership conference came under President Nelson's watch, I'll put it here.

It's been 30 years (this month) since I returned from my mission in Barcelona, Spain where I was exposed (in the second half of my mission) to some questionable proselyting principles. It's a little late, but I'm glad these are finally being called out as the unhealthy practices that they are. I hope they publish the full text of this talk.
    "Church leaders don’t know where these practices began"

I call BS on that. It would not take much effort to find the Area Authority that championed that practice I am guessing.

Glad they are addressing this though. Now get rid of the stupid rule where you can't feed the missionaries during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post

I call BS on that. It would not take much effort to find the Area Authority that championed that practice I am guessing.

Glad they are addressing this though. Now get rid of the stupid rule where you can't feed the missionaries during the week.
    I specifically recall our Area President designing a door approach for us that included inviting to baptism. It was Elder Pinnock. That dude was a hard-ass. Elder Kikuchi, on the other hand, was a soft-touch.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Somebody forgot to tell the mission president here about this rule. Our ward has a sign-up sheet to feed the missionaries every day of the month.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Somebody forgot to tell the mission president here about this rule. Our ward has a sign-up sheet to feed the missionaries every day of the month.
    You are in the North America Southwest, it is still cool to do there. Not so in the North America West area.

Now get rid of the stupid rule where you can't feed the missionaries during the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Yeah, there definitely needs to be some balance. Let them eat dinner with the members, but limit them to 15 member dinners a month and don't let the missionaries stay for longer than 60 mins.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I specifically recall our Area President designing a door approach for us that included inviting to baptism. It was Elder Pinnock. That dude was a hard-ass. Elder Kikuchi, on the other hand, was a soft-touch.
    They know, at least with regard to specific times and areas of the globe. Mine was John R. Lasater, for whom I have less than Christlike feelings. I've had nearly zero desire to do missionary work of any kind since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Yeah, there definitely needs to be some balance. Let them eat dinner with the members, but limit them to 15 member dinners a month and don't let the missionaries stay for longer than 60 mins.
    I like this idea. In the six months or so since this policy has been implemented I have had the missionaries in my home zero times. We used to try for once a month. We have a missionary that served 4 months in my ward and I have no idea what his name is. No way would I feel comfortable inviting them to meet with any friends if I had some that were interested.

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Were you in the northwest around 1991? He had Kikuchi and Pinnock visit us in Vancouver around then. And I agree with your assessment. I started to worry about my faith, because I really didn’t like Pinnock or his approach, and felt I wasn’t sustaining the Lord’s anointed.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 07-15-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Were you in the northwest around 1991? He had Kikuchi and Pinnock visit us in Vancouver around then. And I agree with your assessment. I started to worry about my faith, because I really didn’t like Pinnock or his approach, and felt I wasn’t sustaining the Lord’s anointed.
    They must have been promoted because this was in Chicago in 1999 or so. I felt the same as you about my opinion of Pinnock. He apparently died in 2000.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Yeah, I also remember rogue missionary tactics that involved inviting someone to get baptized after a second formal meeting with an investigator. It came before talk about the WOW, tithing, and the restoration. Crazy times.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Elder Kikuchi was still a soft touch in 2000. I had the pleasure of listening to him speak once in stake conference and once at a mission conference, before he gave nearly the same talk in General Conference.