"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
    Since we're talking here - can somebody tell me what a queer is? The mystery Q. I got the L, G, B, and T .... but I don't really understand the definition of a queer. What do they do that's so special they get their own letter.
    <redacted>

Comment

• Our ward had youth temple night last night, and the guy running the baptistry told my daughter that she was the first female witness of proxy baptisms in the San Antonio temple. Kind of cool.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Oy vey!
        For every step forward, there is at least one step back. You say there is progress, but this stuff makes me question if that is really true.

To be clear though, I do think there is a benefit to the clear line drawing like this rather than being vague. It is better to be open and direct about the church's believes, rather than vague about it.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
          For every step forward, there is at least one step back. You say there is progress, but this stuff makes me question if that is really true.

To be clear though, I do think there is a benefit to the clear line drawing like this rather than being vague. It is better to be open and direct about the church's believes, rather than vague about it.
          Yeesh.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Yeesh.
            Do you disagree that this is a step backwards?

Do you disagree that the church should just come out and state their beliefs. None of what Oaks said is really all that surprising. The church has acted like this was the doctrine for years without just saying it in no uncertain terms. I think it is better for them to just be upfront.
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Do you disagree that the church should just come out and state their beliefs. None of what Oaks said is really all that surprising. The church has acted like this was the doctrine for years without just saying it in no uncertain terms. I think it is better for them to just be upfront.
              Funk, I think you are incapable of processing this stuff with any level of nuance, fair-mindedness, and objectivity, so I am not going to debate it with you. Please keep posting. I suppose it is healthy to have the bitter ex-mo take on things. I am just not interested in engaging anymore. SJBH.

FTR, I am not defending Oaks here. Speaking of church-related topics in general.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

It doesn't seem to be a step at all. I didn't see anything in President Oaks' comments that wasn't already known by every member of the Church for years. What, exactly, are you concerned about as a step "backward"?
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The way you are asking this question comes off as really insincere, so I wouldn't expect a sincere response.
                  So... you don't know either, and all I'm left with is your queer response.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                  -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                    So... you don't know either, and all I'm left with is your queer response.
                    Yes I know what I means.
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Read this job description for which TheBrethren are hiring.

Purposes

Strategy development work to maximize efficiencies in the organization . This role will have significant responsibility and ownership for a variety of challenging strategic projects and will work closely with senior executives. These projects range from early-stage diagnostic and strategy development to wide scale testing and implementation. Analyzes internal data to identify organizational weaknesses and subsequently formulates solutions to address them. Works with organization leadership to improve business strategies and results.

Results Delivery Office has a team of ex-consultants and strategic managers that support Presiding Bishopric projects. This team is currently leading a global transformative organizational and operational redesign project, with initial pilots in Latin America and Asia, targeted to fundamentally reshape the organization of all Presiding Bishopric departments in international areas and the functions of the headquarters offices in supporting Church growth worldwide. After the pilots, the strategic learning will be scaled to all 14 international areas. The Results Delivery Office supprts other Presiding Bishopric needs and will continue to support emerging Presiding Bishopric priorities

nontech123

Responsibilities
                      Works with organizations to improve business strategies and results. Identifying essential work in the organization and how to provide those services in the most simple and affordable way.
                      Works cooperatively with team members, directors, and the managing director. Provides guidance and direction on initiative planning, client relationship management
                      Primary responsibility will be typical of a strategy engagement: identifying opportunities through hypotheses, data driven analysis, and research, collaborating with senior leaders, determining highest impact changes, presenting findings to senior management and/or General Authorities, and implementing solutions.
                      Strategic project management is critical, which includes shaping workstreams, leading project teams drawn from the wider department, and ensuring delivery of results.
                      While I am impressed by the professionalism, I wonder where the inspiration is coming from. Or is it inspiration that inspires the professionalism?

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                        Read this job description for which TheBrethren are hiring.

While I am impressed by the professionalism, I wonder where the inspiration is coming from. Or is it inspiration that inspires the professionalism?
                        That job description is for the "studying it out" part of inspiration...

7 Behold, you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me.

8 But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must cask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.

Comment

• https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...hurch-opposes/
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Without reading the proposed bill or knowing much about it - this doesn't surprise me at all.

And I don't say that because I think the church wants to continue to use electric probs to shock people into being sexually attracted to the right people.

But I'll bet they have concerns that if there is a kid who fits the Q part of LGBTQ (which, for some people still stands for "questioning") - what can a professional do or not do in working with that child?

I believe there is a continuum. Meaning that some people are on the WAY heterosexual end of the spectrum and other people are on the WAY homosexual end of he spectrum. But I believe that as you get to the middle parts - there is some ambiguity. Which leads to some people being bi-sexual, and some people being unsure if they're more attracted to the same sex or the opposite sex.

So if someone says they aren't sure what they are or who they are attracted to sexually, but would prefer not to be gay, what kind of limitations does this put on the person providing counseling? Will they get in trouble if they're exploring this with the kid? I have no idea what someone in that position does - but if it leans towards "here's stuff you can do to strengthen one side or another" - does that end up illegal? I'm doing a horrible job of expressing what I mean - but hopefully this makes sense somehow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                              Without reading the proposed bill or knowing much about it - this doesn't surprise me at all.

And I don't say that because I think the church wants to continue to use electric probs to shock people into being sexually attracted to the right people.

But I'll bet they have concerns that if there is a kid who fits the Q part of LGBTQ (which, for some people still stands for "questioning") - what can a professional do or not do in working with that child?

I believe there is a continuum. Meaning that some people are on the WAY heterosexual end of the spectrum and other people are on the WAY homosexual end of he spectrum. But I believe that as you get to the middle parts - there is some ambiguity. Which leads to some people being bi-sexual, and some people being unsure if they're more attracted to the same sex or the opposite sex.

So if someone says they aren't sure what they are or who they are attracted to sexually, but would prefer not to be gay, what kind of limitations does this put on the person providing counseling? Will they get in trouble if they're exploring this with the kid? I have no idea what someone in that position does - but if it leans towards "here's stuff you can do to strengthen one side or another" - does that end up illegal? I'm doing a horrible job of expressing what I mean - but hopefully this makes sense somehow.
                              Here is the text of the rule

7.18.19 FINAL DRAFT APPROVED BY LICENSING BOARD
                              R156-61-102. Definitions.
                              In addition to the definitions in Title 58, Chapters 1 and 61, as used in Title 58, Chapters 1 and
                              61 or this rule: . ..

(11) “Gender expression” means an individual's presentation and behaviors that express aspects of gender. including gender identity or gender role.
                              (12) “Gender identity” means an individual’s experience of their gender, including one’s view of oneself as a man, woman, or any other gender.
                              [13) "Sexual orientation” means an individual?s gendered patterns in attraction and behavior, identity related to these patterns, and associated components.
                              [14} “Sexual orientation change efforts” means methods, practices, procedures, or techniques with the goal of changing an individual’s sexual orientation or any of its components, including gendered patterns in attraction or behavior and identities related to these patterns.
                              (15) “Gender identity change efforts” means methods, practices, procedures, or techniques with the goal of changing an individual's gender identity, gender expression, or any of the associated components of these.
                              (16) The terms “sexual orientation change efforts” and “gender identity change efforts” do not include methods, practices, procedures, or techniques that:
                              (a) do not have the goal of changing an individual’s sexual orientation or gender identity; and
                              (b) have any of the following goals:
                              (i) reducing an individual?s internalized stigma;
                              (ii) providing acceptance, support, and comprehensive assessment of an individual;
                              (iii) facilitating an individual’s active coping, social support, and identity exploration and development;
                              (iv) assisting an individual undergoing gender transition; or
                              (v) preventing or addressing an individual's unlawful conduct or unsafe sexual practices in a manner that is neutral with respect to the sexual orientation and gender identity of the individual.
                              R156-61-502. Unprofessional Conduct.
                              "Unprofessional conduct" includes: . . .

(23) engaging in or attempting to engage in the practice of sexual orientation change efforts or gender identity change efforts with a client who is less than 18 years old.
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• How long did funk's "I will no longer make posts about the church" vow last? 2 days?

Comment

Working...
                                X