No announcement yet.

2019 Deaths Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This makes me sad. Downfall may be my favorite film ever. My favorite meme drawn from Downfall was made by our own AA. Does anyone have easy access to it? I’d like to watch it again in homage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47264709
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      This makes me sad. Downfall may be my favorite film ever. My favorite meme drawn from Downfall was made by our own AA. Does anyone have easy access to it? I’d like to watch it again in homage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47264709
      I’ve got it on vhs when I recorded it off of USA late one night. You want me to send you the tape?
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        I’ve got it on vhs when I recorded it off of USA late one night. You want me to send you the tape?
        Yes! Thanks.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

The sailor in the famous photo that appeared in Life Magazine and taken at Times Square when Japan's surrender was announced has died

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ki...D=ansmsnnews11

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
            The sailor in the famous photo that appeared in Life Magazine and taken at Times Square when Japan's surrender was announced has died

That's a great shot.

Somewhat less great, thought, to learn that the sailor was basically sexually assaulting that woman. Per the article, he was running around kissing any woman he could find. On the other hand, she doesn't seem to mind.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

He probably wasn't the only one I imagine finding out you are not going to die release some inhabitions It's definitely iconic and next to the Rosenthal's Iwo Jima flag raising shot, probably the most famous of the WW II photos. I found the fact that if the Nurse had been in dark clothes Einsenstad wouldn't have taken the photo interesting
              Last edited by happyone; 02-19-2019, 03:47 PM.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post

I am going to lay a big kiss on my wife tonight in this dude's honor.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  I am going to lay a big kiss on my wife tonight in this dude's honor.
                  Maybe some other dude on the street will beat you to it.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Former Dodger great, Don Newcombe. He was 92 and one of the few remaining Brooklyn Dodgers

https://www.mlb.com/dodgers/news/don...92/c-304163214

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      That's a great shot.

Somewhat less great, thought, to learn that the sailor was basically sexually assaulting that woman. Per the article, he was running around kissing any woman he could find. On the other hand, she doesn't seem to mind.
                      Heh

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Mark Hollis of Talk Talk. This one hurts more than I would have guessed. Talk Talk is a band I will fight anyone to the death about. Laughing Stock hit me like a dump truck the first time I heard it. He basically quit music and just focused on his family 20 years ago. But the fact that he never got the status he derserves bums me out.

Comment

Hey Hey We’re the..

Peter Tork of The Monkey’s passed away this past weekend.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.legac...nkees-musician

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
                            Mark Hollis of Talk Talk. This one hurts more than I would have guessed. Talk Talk is a band I will fight anyone to the death about. Laughing Stock hit me like a dump truck the first time I heard it. He basically quit music and just focused on his family 20 years ago. But the fact that he never got the status he derserves bums me out.

His "It's My Life" I felt was one of the best songs during that British new wave era. I've listened to some of his later stuff but it's very dark and moody, I have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to it.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                              His "It's My Life" I felt was one of the best songs during that British new wave era. I've listened to some of his later stuff but it's very dark and moody, I have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to it.
                              Dark and moody is my wheelhouse. The last two albums influenced so many post-rock and minimalist bands of the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
                                Dark and moody is my wheelhouse. The last two albums influenced so many post-rock and minimalist bands of the 90s.
                                The War on Drugs reminds me a little of them except lighter.

Comment

Working...
                                X