Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    The streak will end. Be patient.
    Sadly, I agree with you that it will end eventually. I wanted Utah to get to 9 to match BYU's streak in the 70s/80s. Anything from this point on is just a bonus. I actually think with all the players Utah loses this year that BYU will win the game next year.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
      Sadly, I agree with you that it will end eventually. I wanted Utah to get to 9 to match BYU's streak in the 70s/80s. Anything from this point on is just a bonus. I actually think with all the players Utah loses this year that BYU will win the game next year.
      I wish all those guys went pro last year. I'm still shocked Anae, Fotu, and Moss came back.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        I wish all those guys went pro last year. I'm still shocked Anae, Fotu, and Moss came back.
        I agree on the shocked part. But, unlike you, I am glad they choose to stay in school to finish their degrees and get better letters of recommendation from their professors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
          We are going to compete well against the next three opponents and get at least one win. I am optimistic we steal wins against Tennessee and USC. Which will make the Utah curse more frustrating to me. The narrative is a massive and widening talent gap will prevent us from ever beating Utah again. Top to bottom it may be difficult to match their talent level, but our 1s are good enough to play with and beat our fair share of Power 5 teams. Just never one named Utah.
          As a Nebraska native, you should have known better than to post this. BYU will defeat Utah again, it will happen when it will hurt the most for the Utes. Nebraska faced a massive and widening talent gap against OU losing six straight from 1972-77. Every season, the Sooners had better talent than the Cornhuskers at every position and better depth. Osborne would never defeat Switzer, the Sooners were just too good. And what happened? Nebraska upset what was probably Switzer's most talented team in 1978 and cost the Sooners a national championship. BYU will defeat Utah and it will be costly for the Utes.
          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• https://twitter.com/BYUCougarsPR/sta...306155520?s=19

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• 1:30pm MDT? I thought it was against PAC-12 rules to start a game before like 7pm PDT. The two PAC-12 fans in Australia are not going to be happy!

LOL... the UW game is on at 1:30pm MDT as well: https://byucougars.com/story/footbal...afternoon-kick
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                1:30pm MDT? I thought it was against PAC-12 rules to start a game before like 7pm PDT. The two PAC-12 fans in Australia are not going to be happy!

LOL... the UW game is on at 1:30pm MDT as well: https://byucougars.com/story/footbal...afternoon-kick
                The P12 usually has an ABC game in this time slot.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                  The P12 usually has an ABC game in this time slot.
                  Yes, apparently when a PAC-12 team plays BYU (with the exception of low ratings Utah).
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• The good:

1.) I thought that Wilson showed better discipline. He didn't make any mistakes and I think played a better game than he did vs the Utes. I also don't think there is much of a chance he goes to the NFL early.

2.) I like the defense when Zayne Anderson moves to safety and Ah You plays at OLB. Moving Livingston "the second Pride of the Shelley Russets" and Sawyer Powell off the field for Ah You makes BYU a much more athletic defense. I think Ah You will be good in time. I thought he shows the ability in coverage and he nearly had a couple of good TFL getting in the backfield. The ability is there he just needs more experience IMO. Less than convinced that Powell or 2ndPotSR will get there.

3.) Fonua is developing into a good MLB. He is the first one I have seen able to identify the hole and hit it harder than Ron Jeremy.

4.) Interior DL is starting to play well. Tonga is good but not so dominant that I think he is surefire NFL pick. Might be me lying to myself in hopes he returns for one more year.

5.) I think they are starting to figure out how to get some pressure on opposing abs without blitzing. However, our DEs are no better than our CBs.

6.) It is the best BYU OL since 2009. FTR while that is good, that doesn't make the OL good. But they are significantly better than any OL BYU has had since 2009.

7.) BYU's RBs are good.

8.) BYU got themselves a great kicker.

The not so good:

1.) BYU coaching staff isn't real good, IMO. I don't think they are bad and I think there is legitimate reasons to have optimism. Better than Crowton but worse than Bronco and Lavell- that there are all the BYU staffs in my lifetime. Actually, TBH I think they coach worse than Bronco's, but they could improve, but they might recruit better so the final product might end up about the same. Although I like it when Kalani and that other fat Poly chest bump after wins.

2.) The WRs cannot get separation unless the other team makes big mistakes against top tier talented teams. I think it won't matter as much the next two years with Wilson as an upperclassmen but as a sophomore he still needs that separation- although the pass to Shumway made my nipples hard.

It comes down to the final 8 games of the year. That is where Kalani is going up against more similarly situated programs than the first 4 games. He snuck out one win in the first 4 and perhaps could get another- but BYU is going to have to play better. While they did enough to win Saturday a great deal of that was because of Tennessee. Time will tell if that is true or not or perhaps if BYU can get cleaner in its execution. If it can, I think they could win all of their final 8. They are that talented IMO.
                    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                      5.) I think they are starting to figure out how to get some pressure on opposing abs without blitzing. However, our DEs are no better than our CBs.
                      Hat tip to the Riley Nelson's of the world.

Comment

• Who's doing the USC game thread title? Make it good.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

The good:

1.) I thought that Wilson showed better discipline. He didn't make any mistakes and I think played a better game than he did vs the Utes. I also don't think there is much of a chance he goes to the NFL early.

2.) I like the defense when Zayne Anderson moves to safety and Ah You plays at OLB. Moving Livingston "the second Pride of the Shelley Russets" and Sawyer Powell off the field for Ah You makes BYU a much more athletic defense. I think Ah You will be good in time. I thought he shows the ability in coverage and he nearly had a couple of good TFL getting in the backfield. The ability is there he just needs more experience IMO. Less than convinced that Powell or 2ndPotSR will get there.

3.) Fonua is developing into a good MLB. He is the first one I have seen able to identify the hole and hit it harder than Ron Jeremy.

4.) Interior DL is starting to play well. Tonga is good but not so dominant that I think he is surefire NFL pick. Might be me lying to myself in hopes he returns for one more year.

6.) It is the best BYU OL since 2009. FTR while that is good, that doesn't make the OL good. But they are significantly better than any OL BYU has had since 2009.

7.) BYU's RBs are good.

The not so good:

1.) BYU coaching staff isn't real good, IMO. I don't think they are bad and I think there is legitimate reasons to have optimism. Better than Crowton but worse than Bronco and Lavell- that there are all the BYU staffs in my lifetime. Actually, TBH I think they coach worse than Bronco's, but they could improve, but they might recruit better so the final product might end up about the same. Although I like it when Kalani and that other fat Poly chest bump after wins.

2.) The WRs cannot get separation unless the other team makes big mistakes against top tier talented teams. I think it won't matter as much the next two years with Wilson as an upperclassmen but as a sophomore he still needs that separation- although the pass to Shumway made my nipples hard.

It comes down to the final 8 games of the year. That is where Kalani is going up against more similarly situated programs than the first 4 games. He snuck out one win in the first 4 and perhaps could get another- but BYU is going to have to play better. While they did enough to win Saturday a great deal of that was because of Tennessee. Time will tell if that is true or not or perhaps if BYU can get cleaner in its execution. If it can, I think they could win all of their final 8. They are that talented IMO.
                          I enjoyed your summary and it makes sense. I think Boise State will be a tough one but am optimistic we'll be playing well enough by then to pull it off.

Comment

The good:

7.) BYU's RBs are good.

The not so good:

I think the player talent is there to win all 8. I'm worried about the coaching talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              Who's doing the USC game thread title? Make it good.
                              I started another thread because it's Tuesday again with no game thread. Is the board less interested in talking football this year, or are people just hesitant to start a thread?
                              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                                We are going to compete well against the next three opponents and get at least one win. I am optimistic we steal wins against Tennessee and USC. Which will make the Utah curse more frustrating to me. The narrative is a massive and widening talent gap will prevent us from ever beating Utah again. Top to bottom it may be difficult to match their talent level, but our 1s are good enough to play with and beat our fair share of Power 5 teams. Just never one named Utah.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                                SU-wish! I am happy though. If I could choose between 1-2 with the Utah streak broken or 2-1 as we sit now, I would definitely keep our current season.

Comment

Working...
                                X