Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Nerdy hobbies

  1. #1

    Default Nerdy hobbies

    As a kid, I collected stamps. I never had any of real value. I would go the hobby store and buy big bags of cancelled (used) stamps from different countries. I learned a lot of geography and history through the hobby, but abandoned it when I got into sports and comic books.

    The last 18 months or so I've been into collecting coins. It started with me buying common coins from different countries, trying to get currency from every modern state that issues their own. It's grown more expensive as I pick up stuff that interests me. I really like having this passive hobby. I'm an outlier as the average age of a coin collecter is 60.



    Anyway, do any of you guys have nerdy hobbies?
    Last edited by frank ryan; 12-16-2018 at 12:24 PM.

  2. #2
    Chronic Poseur USUC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Riverton, UT
    Posts
    5,095

    Default

    Does collecting guitar pedals count as a nerd hobby? Its the only thing, outside of tapes and CDs as a teenager, that I've consistently spent money on hobby wise.

    My dad has a ton of old coins. I was fascinated by them as a kid. But I never really collected any on my own. I guess I collected wheatback pennies when they were still in circulation.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USUC View Post
    Does collecting guitar pedals count as a nerd hobby? Its the only thing, outside of tapes and CDs as a teenager, that I've consistently spent money on hobby wise.

    My dad has a ton of old coins. I was fascinated by them as a kid. But I never really collected any on my own. I guess I collected wheatback pennies when they were still in circulation.
    Yeah, I think it does. It's cool and nerdy at the same time.

  4. #4

    Default

    i have devoted an ungodly portion of my life to posting on the 3rd most popular byu football fan chat blog with a bunch of anonymous middle aged men
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  5. #5
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    i have devoted an ungodly portion of my life to posting on the 3rd most popular byu football fan chat blog with a bunch of anonymous middle aged men
    Link?
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  6. #6

    Default

    I spent most of the day driving around Daybreak raiding Lugia and Ho Oh trying to get a shiny.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    i have devoted an ungodly portion of my life to posting on the 3rd most popular byu football fan chat blog with a bunch of anonymous middle aged men
    1st AND 3rd for me.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  8. #8
    Chronic Poseur USUC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Riverton, UT
    Posts
    5,095

    Default

    Wait, what site is #2?

  9. #9
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    I spent most of the day driving around Daybreak raiding Lugia and Ho Oh trying to get a shiny.
    This sounds dirty.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  10. #10
    a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Link?
    that makes me miss Indycoug. Anyone know how he is doing?
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    that makes me miss Indycoug. Anyone know how he is doing?
    Making money by predicting the failures of people and or organizations.

  12. #12

    Default

    When you come across the new 2019 quarters check this mint mark. Coins with a W mint mark go for about 20 bucks in good condition.

    The mint produced quarters from the small West Point mint this year and marked them which is a first. These quarters make up about 1 percent of all quarters minted. It was done for needy coin collectors like me.

  13. #13
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    10,337

    Default

    I'm still a pretty diligent collector of sports cards dating from the 70s to the 90s. They were mass produced, so they have very little value, but I love looking them over and organizing them. I particularly love when I buy an old collection, and they organized in some manner. It's fun to try to deduce why the original owner organized them in a particular way. It's also fun to determine which players they liked (sometimes it's because they have an extraordinary number of that particular player, all grouped together; other times it's because that player is absent from the collection (they kept the "good ones").

    For example, when I bought Mormon Red Death's collection, there were absolutely zero BYU alumni football players in his decent sized football card collection. Ripped in half and discarded out of anger? Ruined by substantial tear flow after another drubbing of the Utes by St. LaVell of Provo? Traded to that annoying BYU kid in the ward for a Scott Mitchell rookie card?
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I'm still a pretty diligent collector of sports cards dating from the 70s to the 90s. They were mass produced, so they have very little value, but I love looking them over and organizing them. I particularly love when I buy an old collection, and they organized in some manner. It's fun to try to deduce why the original owner organized them in a particular way. It's also fun to determine which players they liked (sometimes it's because they have an extraordinary number of that particular player, all grouped together; other times it's because that player is absent from the collection (they kept the "good ones").

    For example, when I bought Mormon Red Death's collection, there were absolutely zero BYU alumni football players in his decent sized football card collection. Ripped in half and discarded out of anger? Ruined by substantial tear flow after another drubbing of the Utes by St. LaVell of Provo? Traded to that annoying BYU kid in the ward for a Scott Mitchell rookie card?
    I have a bunch of cards, but I have little energy to try to dig through them for any potential value. That's sad. I think I have a Steve Young rookie card with the Bucs.

  15. #15
    UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    When you come across the new 2019 quarters check this mint mark. Coins with a W mint mark go for about 20 bucks in good condition.

    The mint produced quarters from the small West Point mint this year and marked them which is a first. These quarters make up about 1 percent of all quarters minted. It was done for needy coin collectors like me.
    My wife and I started collecting the state quarters when they first came out. We tried to get about 20 of each one.

    I've given up on that and started spending them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •