The Official Favorite Christmas Traditions Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Favorite Christmas Traditions Thread

OK - maybe there's already one of these out there. But I couldn't find it (I admit I am not a search ninja when it comes to these things.)

Reading some of the stuff posted here, and thinking about what seems like a whirlwind rollercoaster ride approaching as Christmas nears got me thinking about some of my favorite Christmas traditions. I love talked to my kids and seeing what stands out to them - which traditions they think they'll follow with their own kids and which will fall by the wayside. There are definitely some I care about and others that I wouldn't miss.

Our oldest daughter is supremely sentimental. If we've done something once, then we "always" do it - particularly if she liked it - because she is quick to adopt one time events as new traditions to be carried on. And she notices when we don't. Always has.

Anyway - some of my favorite family traditions are:

My Mom always has a family gathering Christmas Eve. Dinner and a short program that includes reading through Luke 2. When I was a kid, we would put on costumes and act out the nativity as it was read. A few years ago my Mom picked up some hand puppets of all of the characters - with PLENTY of shepherds, sheep, etc., to make sure that every kid who wants to participate has a role. Then each of my siblings shares either a story or a song or some other Christmas focused item. We try to keep it short and sweet, but it's a lot of fun because everyone participates.

Christmas morning, the kids all sleep in the same room and then line up to go into the tree and open the presents. Stockings first, then my wife likes to have us pass out one gift at a time and let everyone watch while each is opened. This isn't a stringent/formal one-at-a-time process. It goes pretty quick. It just means that the kids don't each tear into their own pile without regard for what each other is doing.

My in-laws have a tradition of an extended family Christmas morning breakfast. We gather at their home around 10am for ham, eggs, and her Grandma Reese's famous bran muffins. I'm not sure why they are famous - just that Grandma baked enough for the whole crew every year. Now that she's gone, my wife and I have taken up the responsibility. We've got an awesome recipe written in Grandma's shaky 90 year-old handwriting that we cherish (much more than the recipe itself, truth be told).

I could go on and on - but I'll stop with this one last thing. I work for a small non-profit. Our CEO used to give us a small "thank you" check, which they identified as based on performance ("but don't call it a bonus"). As budgets got tight, that was no longer possible. But wanting to still show appreciation to staff, she began giving all staff the time between Christmas and New Years off.

The first year we did this, my wife and I planned a series of "a-thon"s. Everyone gets something to read for Christmas, so one day was a read-a-thon. We'd usually get a new game or two, so another day was a game-a-thon. Video games entered the picture, so we also had a video game-a-thon day. My wife's family had a tradition of the family getting a puzzle for Christmas, so one day was the puzzle-a-thon (which worked great for watching sports - I'd pick the day with the best games on for this one.)

That has become one of the most cherished traditions simply due to the time we get to spend together - especially for the youngest who always wants to spend more time with her older siblings. This started years ago - and as the kids have gotten older we've had to adapt with shorter a-thon days and knowing some will miss out at times. But it's been a fun tradition that I hope to continue with grandkids some day.

This year our married son is headed to Arizona to spend that week with the in-laws. He's already told us which traditions he wants us to schedule on a day that he and his wife will be around to participate.

Tell me about some of your favorite traditions. I'm not to proud to steal the ones I hear and like from others!

When I was a kid our family started a tradition we would do every Christmas Eve. Each person would write a note for each family member and leave it in their stocking. At the end of the day, just before changing into pajamas and watching the muppets Christmas carol, we would take turns reading a note from our stocking until we had read them all. I remember reading the notes more than I remember any particular present I ever opened.

Our family has done the same thing once I got married and we started having kids. Now that my girls are old enough I help them write notes to their mom. I just ask them what they want to say and write it down verbatim.

I’m not sure what this tradition makes us do more, laugh or cry.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

We don't do this every year, but every two or three years we set up our nativity sets all over the house and invite friends, neighbors, and ward members to an open house to come look at them. Last night we had mostly neighbors come by and this evening it was only ward members. We'll be open during the day tomorrow and we have no idea who will show up. Hopefully enough people to eat up all of the cookies that my wife made.

Comment

I want to wish a Merry Christmas to all of my imaginary Friends here on CS

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
          I want to wish a Merry Christmas to all of my imaginary Friends here on CS
          Thanks, happy. Merry Christmas to all.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I’m sad that I may only have one or two more Christmas’s with a kid that believes in Santa. Here’s the note my youngest (and only believer) left in her stocking

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Growing up, we rarely got sugared cereal. If we were lucky, maybe on Saturday or Sunday (and even then sometimes it was cut with plain cereal). Most of the time we were eating plain Cheerios, Corn Flakes, rice cereal, etc. But on Christmas, we each got our own box of sugared cereal from Santa. It had our name on it, so we knew which one was ours. We freaking loved this, and over the next few days, cereal was like our kid currency. My little brother was almost always willing to do some chores for a bowl of someone’s Lucky Charms. I’m pretty sure I once agreed to speak in primary in place of my sister for the remainder of her box of Golden Grahams. It even got to the point where we would measure it out with a measuring cup to avoid an over-pour. I digress.

Mrs. Donut has allowed me to continue the Christmas cereal tradition with our family, but in a modified format—she doesn’t like the personal ownership over each box. So Santa brings enough boxes for everyone, but we all share them. While I do miss the ownership aspect of the tradition, the modification has allowed me to get a little more experimental in the cereal choices, as nobody is tied to a single box. Here’s this year’s offerings:

Im looking forward to trying the Donettes, the Golden Oreo, and the Nila wafers.

Merry Christmas, CS.com!
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I haven't had cereal in years. I don't even recognize most of what is in that picture. I loved Golden Grahams back in the day.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  Growing up, we rarely got sugared cereal. If we were lucky, maybe on Saturday or Sunday (and even then sometimes it was cut with plain cereal). Most of the time we were eating plain Cheerios, Corn Flakes, rice cereal, etc. But on Christmas, we each got our own box of sugared cereal from Santa. It had our name on it, so we knew which one was ours. We freaking loved this, and over the next few days, cereal was like our kid currency. My little brother was almost always willing to do some chores for a bowl of someone’s Lucky Charms. I’m pretty sure I once agreed to speak in primary in place of my sister for the remainder of her box of Golden Grahams. It even got to the point where we would measure it out with a measuring cup to avoid an over-pour. I digress.

Mrs. Donut has allowed me to continue the Christmas cereal tradition with our family, but in a modified format—she doesn’t like the personal ownership over each box. So Santa brings enough boxes for everyone, but we all share them. While I do miss the ownership aspect of the tradition, the modification has allowed me to get a little more experimental in the cereal choices, as nobody is tied to a single box. Here’s this year’s offerings:

Im looking forward to trying the Donettes, the Golden Oreo, and the Nila wafers.

Merry Christmas, CS.com!
                  Honey Ohs! are seriously underrated. I just wish they came in a bigger box.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

Æbleskivers

"You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      Honey Ohs! are seriously underrated. I just wish they came in a bigger box.
                      I like em, but they seem to tear up the roof of my mouth.

Comment

i remember one time back in my college days when I had some mini Oreos on hand and poured some milk over a bowl of them for breakfast. Based on DH's photo, the industry isn't too far from that.
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Hate to diverge from the cereal thread but...

For about twenty years now I have taken a motorcycle out for a Christmas Day ride nearly every year. Somewhere between 10 and 50 miles - not real long - but it's nice to just cruise slowly around on a day when there is very little traffic. Usually I've just ridden around town at a mellow pace. Going around the outer edges of Folsom or Pleasanton was about 30 miles. But there was that one year when I rode a Ducati Superbike out to the Central Valley and checked out the top speed on the empty freeway out there. That's the only time I've ever gone for top speed on a motorcycle capable of triple digit speeds.

So I thought that now that I'm somewhere cold I would have to drop that tradition, but the temperature got up to 40 around here and the roads were mostly dry, so I went out for about half an hour. Gotta keep the traditions going.

Comment

We are having the missionaries over for Christmas dinner. My wife asked if there was anything they liked to have on Christmas that she could make for them. They replied with Buffalo wings.

We'll see how it goes.

Comment

https://twitter.com/utedaddy/status/...835318785?s=19

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                              X