No announcement yet.

The "did you know this streams on Hulu?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HULU is $1.99 a month for 12 months right now? Is it worth it?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
      Only if you love commercials
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
        At that price, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
          The 12th Man. Compelling story of a Norwegian soldier evading the Nazis in occupied Norway. I didn't mind the subtitles.
          Loved that movie. I recommend the Heavy Water War, if you haven't already seen it. It's a Norwergian mini-series about an important sabotage operation in WW2 to destroy a plant the Nazis needed for building an A-bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            Loved that movie. I recommend the Heavy Water War, if you haven't already seen it. It's a Norwergian mini-series about an important sabotage operation in WW2 to destroy a plant the Nazis needed for building an A-bomb.
            I'll put that on my list to watch.

Comment

Just discovered Letterkenny on Hulu. One of the funniest things I’ve seen in a while. Here’s a clip (language warning for the sensitive):

https://youtu.be/9rSBmOgpcDE

Comment

Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                Just discovered Letterkenny on Hulu. One of the funniest things I’ve seen in a while. Here’s a clip (language warning for the sensitive):

https://youtu.be/9rSBmOgpcDE
                I've been watching it as well. It is very funny.

I've also been catching up on Nathan for You.

I wish that somewhere actually had Review streaming. I finally broke down and purchased it. Review is such an underrated gem.
                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                  I've been watching it as well. It is very funny.

I've also been catching up on Nathan for You.

I wish that somewhere actually had Review streaming. I finally broke down and purchased it. Review is such an underrated gem.
                  Review is awesome and Nathan for You is one of my favorite shows of all time. It's unfortunate that it got canceled by Comedy Central after just 4 seasons. The good news though is that Nathan Fielder just signed a deal with HBO and has 2 shows that should come out sometime next year.

Comment

Anyone else watching Devs? It’s really good; I’d highly recommend it. Ron Swanson in a dramatic role. He plays a tech billionaire. I won’t give anything else away. Watch it.

Comment

Parasite is currently streaming on Hulu. If you haven't watched it yet, watch it. Best movie I have seen in a long, long time.

Comment

Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                        Parasite is currently streaming on Hulu. If you haven't watched it yet, watch it. Best movie I have seen in a long, long time.
                        Good, even very good. But the climax was a little wonky to be considered great.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          Good, even very good. But the climax was a little wonky to be considered great.
                          I don't disagree with that actually. It did seem a little out of character with the rest of the film, but only a little in my opinion. I haven't watched very many movies in the last few years, to be honest (more of a TV buff lately), so my comparison to other recent movies should probably be taken with a grain of salt. I stand by my recommendation that everyone should see Parasite though.

Comment

Highly, highly recommend The Great on Hulu. It is hilarious. It is a satirical depiction of the events leading up to the Russian coup that deposed Peter III and replaced him with his estranged wife Catherine the Great. Not very historically accurate at all, but a lot of fun. Elle Fanning plays Catherine and Nicholas Hoult plays Peter. Hoult, in particular, is hilarious. One of the best things I've seen in a while. It is written by the same guy that wrote The Favourite and has a similar tone, so if you like that you may enjoy this show.

Here's a trailer that I think gets the tone of the show right:

Last edited by UVACoug; 06-29-2020, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Alone. It's a History channel show in which 10 contestants are dropped into individual locations in the wilderness with a selection of survival tools/items. Whoever lasts the longest in the wilderness wins. Each of them is provided with camera equipment and trained on how to use it, so they are capturing all their own footage. The only interaction they have with anyone is periodic medical checks (not sure how often) with a few members of the production crew.

The items they are allowed to bring includes clothing as well as two tarps. They are also given a list of about 50 items, from which they get to pick 10. Some of the most selected items include ferro rods, knives, axes, saws, paracord, sleeping bag, cooking pot, fishing line and hooks, snare wire,

I haven't seen all the seasons yet, but the locations I'm aware of are:

Vancouver Island, British Columbia
                              Patagonia, Argentina
                              Great Slave Lake, Canada

It's pretty cool seeing what they're able and willing to do. Each contestant creates their own shelter. Some make some pretty elaborate stuff - a yurt, a cabin-type dwelling, etc., while others have shelters in which they can barely sit up, much less stand.

They hunt land animals primarily with traps and snares. They fish with gill nets and other lines. Only one so far has chosen not to bring a ferro rod, relying on his ability to make friction fire instead.

It's also interesting seeing the glaring mistakes that some of these survival experts make (like drinking untreated water).

The first couple of seasons of this show are also available on Amazon Prime and Pluto TV.

After watching quite a bit of it the last several weeks, I decided to try to make a bow drill fire starter over the weekend. Most of it came together a lot better than I expected, even with my dull (and not really that great, anyway) camp knife. The biggest trouble I had is with the plank part. I couldn't really find a good piece of softwood to use. I did get some charring on the plank I was using, but never created any real smoke or embers.

Any of you survival experts create any friction fires before?
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                Alone. It's a History channel show in which 10 contestants are dropped into individual locations in the wilderness with a selection of survival tools/items. Whoever lasts the longest in the wilderness wins.
                                I watched the Arctic season on Netflix last week. It was great seeing a show filled with experts and not normal people trying to learn it. Everyone was insanely talented and I was amazed how long some of them lasted out there. Great show.

Comment

Working...
                                X