Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "did you know this streams on Hulu?" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Rick and Morty is the greatest thing ever.
    I'm late to the Rick and Morty party- not sure why I held out so long. Such a great show.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Alone. It's a History channel show in which 10 contestants are dropped into individual locations in the wilderness with a selection of survival tools/items. Whoever lasts the longest in the wilderness wins. Each of them is provided with camera equipment and trained on how to use it, so they are capturing all their own footage. The only interaction they have with anyone is periodic medical checks (not sure how often) with a few members of the production crew.

The items they are allowed to bring includes clothing as well as two tarps. They are also given a list of about 50 items, from which they get to pick 10. Some of the most selected items include ferro rods, knives, axes, saws, paracord, sleeping bag, cooking pot, fishing line and hooks, snare wire,

I haven't seen all the seasons yet, but the locations I'm aware of are:

Vancouver Island, British Columbia
    Patagonia, Argentina
    Great Slave Lake, Canada

It's pretty cool seeing what they're able and willing to do. Each contestant creates their own shelter. Some make some pretty elaborate stuff - a yurt, a cabin-type dwelling, etc., while others have shelters in which they can barely sit up, much less stand.

They hunt land animals primarily with traps and snares. They fish with gill nets and other lines. Only one so far has chosen not to bring a ferro rod, relying on his ability to make friction fire instead.

It's also interesting seeing the glaring mistakes that some of these survival experts make (like drinking untreated water).

The first couple of seasons of this show are also available on Amazon Prime and Pluto TV.

After watching quite a bit of it the last several weeks, I decided to try to make a bow drill fire starter over the weekend. Most of it came together a lot better than I expected, even with my dull (and not really that great, anyway) camp knife. The biggest trouble I had is with the plank part. I couldn't really find a good piece of softwood to use. I did get some charring on the plank I was using, but never created any real smoke or embers.

Any of you survival experts create any friction fires before?
    I'll have to check that show out, it sounds cool. I learned to start a fire with a bow drill when I was in Scouting (but I wouldn't call myself a survival expert). IIRC, the most important thing was finding the right materials to put around the plank that would light easily. I want to say dry grass, but it's been too long to remember for sure. Also wearing a glove helps if you have soft hands from working in an office for a couple decades.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I'm late to the Rick and Morty party- not sure why I held out so long. Such a great show.
    it really is
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Alone. It's a History channel show in which 10 contestants are dropped into individual locations in the wilderness with a selection of survival tools/items. Whoever lasts the longest in the wilderness wins. Each of them is provided with camera equipment and trained on how to use it, so they are capturing all their own footage. The only interaction they have with anyone is periodic medical checks (not sure how often) with a few members of the production crew.

The items they are allowed to bring includes clothing as well as two tarps. They are also given a list of about 50 items, from which they get to pick 10. Some of the most selected items include ferro rods, knives, axes, saws, paracord, sleeping bag, cooking pot, fishing line and hooks, snare wire,

Patagonia, Argentina
    Great Slave Lake, Canada

It's pretty cool seeing what they're able and willing to do. Each contestant creates their own shelter. Some make some pretty elaborate stuff - a yurt, a cabin-type dwelling, etc., while others have shelters in which they can barely sit up, much less stand.

They hunt land animals primarily with traps and snares. They fish with gill nets and other lines. Only one so far has chosen not to bring a ferro rod, relying on his ability to make friction fire instead.

It's also interesting seeing the glaring mistakes that some of these survival experts make (like drinking untreated water).

The first couple of seasons of this show are also available on Amazon Prime and Pluto TV.

After watching quite a bit of it the last several weeks, I decided to try to make a bow drill fire starter over the weekend. Most of it came together a lot better than I expected, even with my dull (and not really that great, anyway) camp knife. The biggest trouble I had is with the plank part. I couldn't really find a good piece of softwood to use. I did get some charring on the plank I was using, but never created any real smoke or embers.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    I watched the Arctic season on Netflix last week. It was great seeing a show filled with experts and not normal people trying to learn it. Everyone was insanely talented and I was amazed how long some of them lasted out there. Great show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    I'll have to check that show out, it sounds cool. I learned to start a fire with a bow drill when I was in Scouting (but I wouldn't call myself a survival expert). IIRC, the most important thing was finding the right materials to put around the plank that would light easily. I want to say dry grass, but it's been too long to remember for sure. Also wearing a glove helps if you have soft hands from working in an office for a couple decades.
    Great show. I was amazed with their expertise and how the body reacts to the deprivation. Some very talented survivors out there, and some very accident prone ones as well.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Great show. I was amazed with their expertise and how the body reacts to the deprivation. Some very talented survivors out there, and some very accident prone ones as well.
    Yes. I wish they'd show more of the shelter construction and gadget production and less of the "I miss my wife/kids/whatever so much" crap. They're relying on the contestants to capture things on film, so maybe the shelter-building footage just isn't shot very well. It seems they rarely show the contestants talking about why they built what they built. The shelter that one of the guys built in one of the Great Slave Lake series seemed to be just a tarp teepee, even though it's in a subarctic zone. Was there more to his shelter? Why didn't he build in more insulation?

Some of the stuff they build is really impressive - I'd like to see more of how they did it.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Patagonia, Argentina
    Great Slave Lake, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    I watched the Arctic season on Netflix last week. It was great seeing a show filled with experts and not normal people trying to learn it. Everyone was insanely talented and I was amazed how long some of them lasted out there. Great show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    Yes. I wish they'd show more of the shelter construction and gadget production and less of the "I miss my wife/kids/whatever so much" crap. They're relying on the contestants to capture things on film, so maybe the shelter-building footage just isn't shot very well. It seems they rarely show the contestants talking about why they built what they built. The shelter that one of the guys built in one of the Great Slave Lake series seemed to be just a tarp teepee, even though it's in a subarctic zone. Was there more to his shelter? Why didn't he build in more insulation?

Some of the stuff they build is really impressive - I'd like to see more of how they did it.
    Yeah, that tarp teepee seemed very inadequate. One of the ladies made an awesome shelter.

It looked very rough to be out there. They gotta have some kind of monitoring system in case someone has an accident and can't get to the satellite phone.

That is the only season we watched, so I need to find the other seasons.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

I watched several episodes of season 2 today, back on Vancouver Island. I can't believe the black guy tapped out in less than 24 hours just because he saw some best droppings.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Mike Tyson Mysteries.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

I'm interested in Andy Samberg's new movie Palm Springs, which is available tomorrow on Hulu.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Mike Tyson Mysteries.
    I know right? So demented, but strangely hypnotic.

Mike Tyson Mysteries.
    Nice. I bought the seasons on Amazon some time ago. So good.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I'm interested in Andy Samberg's new movie Palm Springs, which is available tomorrow on Hulu.

I am down for this. Groundhog day / time loop premise was due for a reboot.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    Ditto. With 70 reviews in, it's got a 98% RT score though only a 6.9 on IMDB. I liked Samberg's lower-rated Popstar so if this is at least that good, I'm in. For the sake of the attending womenfolk, I hope it's not too raunchy.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Ditto. With 70 reviews in, it's got a 98% RT score though only a 6.9 on IMDB. I liked Samberg's lower-rated Popstar so if this is at least that good, I'm in. For the sake of the attending womenfolk, I hope it's not too raunchy.
    OMG Popstar is my all-time favorite cult classic. I saw it in the theatre twice. It's one of those movies I'm amazed wasn't a national phenomenon. It's so brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    OMG Popstar is my all-time favorite cult classic. I saw it in the theatre twice. It's one of those movies I'm amazed wasn't a national phenomenon. It's so brilliant.
    Popstar was excellent. I regularly get the Bin Laden song stuck in my head.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping was underrated, or at least underappreciated. I enjoyed Seal being attacked by wolves at the engagement scene, and the final concert was great, with so many big-name stars participating, a superb send-up of stars' self-importance.

I have a comedy crush on Andy Samberg. I was half-heartedly watching one of those Adam Sandler buddy flicks (*looked it up- Grown Ups 2) and one of the couples goes thru a cheerleader car wash ostensibly as some kind of indulgence for the husband, and whoops there's a car in front of them so they have to go to the male cheerleaders' side, resulting in a soapy homoerotic car wash led by Andy Samberg, Jorma, and Taran Killam to Warrant's 'Cherry Pie.' It was juvenile, and I was cackling and clapping like a seal probably disproportionate to how funny it was, but I am a sucker for that guy.

Samberg is like the anti Will Ferrell: almost all of his comedies are funny, and hardly anyone sees them or quotes them.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

I have a comedy crush on Andy Samberg. I was half-heartedly watching one of those Adam Sandler buddy flicks (*looked it up- Grown Ups 2) and one of the couples goes thru a cheerleader car wash ostensibly as some kind of indulgence for the husband, and whoops there's a car in front of them so they have to go to the male cheerleaders' side, resulting in a soapy homoerotic car wash led by Andy Samberg, Jorma, and Taran Killam to Warrant's 'Cherry Pie.' It was juvenile, and I was cackling and clapping like a seal probably disproportionate to how funny it was, but I am a sucker for that guy.
    Commando is to Andy Samberg as MartyFunkhouser is to Paul Rudd
    --Kendrick Lamar

I watched it and liked it.

I liked Palm Springs except for the ending. It really had potential to make a romantic love is absolute bullshit statement for its ending and didn't go that route. It would have been much better that way.

It is one of the reasons that I hated the Office (UK) Christmas Special. The Office was ended perfectly with Dawn turning down Tim, it was unfortunately that they had to change that later.
    --Kendrick Lamar

I finally watched Atlanta. It is a great show. The B.A.N. episode is one of the funniest episodes of TV that I've ever watched. It is amazing how varied the show can be. You have a absolutely hilarious episode like B.A.N. and then have episodes like Teddy Perkins. Just a great show.
    --Kendrick Lamar

I liked Palm Springs except for the ending. It really had potential to make a romantic love is absolute bullshit statement for its ending and didn't go that route. It would have been much better that way.

It is one of the reasons that I hated the Office (UK) Christmas Special. The Office was ended perfectly with Dawn turning down Tim, it was unfortunately that they had to change that later.
    Palm Springs was fun. The only thing I didn't like about it was what I perceived as a continuity issue. I didn't let that bother me much, though.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I finally watched Atlanta. It is a great show. The B.A.N. episode is one of the funniest episodes of TV that I've ever watched. It is amazing how varied the show can be. You have a absolutely hilarious episode like B.A.N. and then have episodes like Teddy Perkins. Just a great show.
    It really is an amazing show. I hope they can get around to a third season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really is an amazing show. I hope they can get around to a third season.
    They may if Donald Glover can get some time. I mean Disney+ is currently developing a Lando Calrissian series around him.

Default The "did you know this streams on Hulu?" thread

They may if Donald Glover can get some time. I mean Disney+ is currently developing a Lando Calrissian series around him.
    That’s dope. You see the “Hunted” short for Squadrons? I hope the game is the same level story as fallen order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s dope. You see the “Hunted” short for Squadrons? I hope the game is the same level story as fallen order.
    Yeah EA is really getting it when it comes to Star Wars lately. That's an instant buy.

Love Island (UK edition). So trashy ... and so good.