Fire Kalani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of realistic potential candidates:

Anae: maybe I’m being dramamtic, but I think he’s a program killer. He’s sort of the anti-Kalani. I don’t know anyone who likes him.

Anderson (Stanford DC): it would probably save us a bunch of recruits. If he’s interested, then why not?

Nick Howell: Rode Bronco’s coattails to the orange bowl. I used to hate this guy. But he actually seems to be growing and learning.

Weber State Coach: He seems like a great coach, but the internet seems to think he has zero interest in the job.

Paul Peterson (DSU): seems like a good fit, but his body if work is small. Let’s se what happens at Dixie.

Morgan Scalley: that prick is probably Whitt’s heir at the Ewe.

There’s no one on this staff that I’d pick.

I’m leaving off Bevell because he’s got another nfl gig. I know a few people who claim to know him. The only time he’s been interested in the job was when he was unemployed.

Anyone who says Andy Reid deserves to be slapped.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
      List of realistic potential candidates:

Anae: maybe I’m being dramamtic, but I think he’s a program killer. He’s sort of the anti-Kalani. I don’t know anyone who likes him.

Anderson (Stanford DC): it would probably save us a bunch of recruits. If he’s interested, then why not?

Nick Howell: Rode Bronco’s coattails to the orange bowl. I used to hate this guy. But he actually seems to be growing and learning.

Weber State Coach: He seems like a great coach, but the internet seems to think he has zero interest in the job.

Paul Peterson (DSU): seems like a good fit, but his body if work is small. Let’s se what happens at Dixie.

Morgan Scalley: that prick is probably Whitt’s heir at the Ewe.

There’s no one on this staff that I’d pick.

I’m leaving off Bevell because he’s got another nfl gig. I know a few people who claim to know him. The only time he’s been interested in the job was when he was unemployed.

Anyone who says Andy Reid deserves to be slapped.
      I just don't get the sense of urgency getting rid of Kalani given the current landscape. Anderson might be the only slight improvement, but non of these names are obvious upgrades. BYU is not in any position to be a top 15 team right now. They just need to keep their head above water until the next round of realignment determines their next step. Kalani has produced some nationally relevant wins. Just stay the course a couple more years. If it goes south, get rid of him.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
        No, our BEST defensive player.
        Oh, our BEST defensive player. Yeah, that was still Dayan. I like Tonga a lot. He is only effective about 30% of the time he’s in and he’s only in about 60% of the time. I’m hoping he has a great senior year but until he shows a desire to be an every down player, I’m not sure he can ever be considered our best defensive player. I’m not even sure he’s our best DL at this point.
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
          Oh, our BEST defensive player. Yeah, that was still Dayan.
          Yep.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Kalani was (probably) rightfully given an extension. And I mean rightfully given an extension because I don't think it's a good idea to have a lame duck coach heading into a season when recruiting is such a big deal and I think the team showed some positive signs this year.

However - I think Kalani has two years (you could maybe argue three) to take the next step or it's time to move on. What does that look like? Consistency. How do we measure that? I'd suggest three markers:
            •Achieve a top 15 ranking / Finish a season ranked in the top 25
            •Beat Utah
            •Win 75% of his games at home

That would give Kalani six or seven years as BYU's head coach. Against those three markets:
            It took Lavell until his 6th season before BYU finished the season ranked. I think it's fair to expect that BYU should be able to hit that mark at some point in a six or seven year span. After beating Wisconsin in 2018, BYU was ranked 25th and as high as 20th before back-to-back losses (Washington, Utah State). Had we won a few more games that were winnable (UMass, Utah, Boise State) I think we could've been ranked to end the year last year. Hopefully that wasn't the best shot.

BYU hasn't beaten Utah. I don't need to say any more there.

His record at home has been 5-1, 2-4, 3-3 and 4-2 for a total of 14-10 (58%). 75% of wins at home would mean 18 total wins. I think a few of them are easy to find in past games - UMass, Utah State, UCLA, Northern Illinois were all winnable games. Those four games swing back to 75% at home. It's doable.

I like Kalani. I think he's done an okay enough of a job to get the extension. But, and I think he'd agree, the performance hasn't been at the level of expectations. I also think he's had a tough hand dealt to him. I think BYU is in a tough position to succeed right now. I don't think the University has the same level of expectations or commitment that many of the fans do. I think there is enough of a learning curve that it is reasonable to give Kalani a short few more years to figure it out. Absent BYU taking the next step, I do think it'd be time for BYU to go a different direction.

Comment

Oh, our BEST defensive player. Yeah, that was still Dayan. I like Tonga a lot. He is only effective about 30% of the time he’s in and he’s only in about 60% of the time. I’m hoping he has a great senior year but until he shows a desire to be an every down player, I’m not sure he can ever be considered our best defensive player. I’m not even sure he’s our best DL at this point.
              Dayan is out of eligibility. He can’t be our best defensive player, since he’s no longer on the team.

There are very few “every down” d linemen, so the standard you’re setting for him sort of sucks. #SJBH

Dude eats up 2 or 3 blockers every down. Every time one of the D ends does something of note, it’s because they get to go 1-on-1 with an OT because the G and C are bottling up Tonga.
              Last edited by Green Monstah; 01-03-2020, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Dayan is out of eligibility. He can’t be our best defensive player, since he’s no longer on the team.

There are very few “every down” d linemen, so the standard you’re setting for him sort of sucks. #SJBH

Dude eats up 2 or 3 blockers every down. Every time one of the D ends does something of note, it’s because they get to go 1-on-1 with an OT because the G and C are bottling up Tonga.
                lol. Thanks. I had no idea I was so uneducated on eligibility or how Tonga plays. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

lol. Thanks. I had no idea I was so uneducated on eligibility or how Tonga plays. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
                  I mean, if you're gonna double down on "Dayan's better," that's fine. It's completely irrelevant, though.

And I think you're wrong on Tonga. Did you not see him waive off line changes multiple times this year? Did you see what he did when USC thought they could put their C 1 on 1 with him? The one point that you danced around, but did not make, that I'd agree with is that Tonga does have some work to do this offseason physically.

Comment

• I have lost track. What is the point of this argument?
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I mean, if you're gonna double down on "Dayan's better," that's fine. It's completely irrelevant, though.

And I think you're wrong on Tonga. Did you not see him waive off line changes multiple times this year? Did you see what he did when USC thought they could put their C 1 on 1 with him? The one point that you danced around, but did not make, that I'd agree with is that Tonga does have some work to do this offseason physically.
                      I guess I did double down, but it was a joke. However, I don’t see any reason to give credit to the staff for a player deciding to return to school rather than going undrafted. Tonga has had his moments. I am happy he’s coming back. I just don’t think it’s all that indicative of anything the coaching staff has accomplished. In fact, it might be indicative of the deficiencies of the staff. If Tonga thought there was any chance he’d be drafted I do not believe he’d be back. Until Tonga can be able to play 80% of first and second downs, and every short yardage third down, he won’t be considered the best defensive player of the team. If we are talking one play, fine. But over the entirety of a game, he’s just not living up to his potential in my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        I have lost track. What is the point of this argument?
                        It wasn’t an argument from my perspective. I was just making a poor joke about Dayan. Apparently I hit a nerve.

Comment

It wasn’t an argument from my perspective. I was just making a poor joke about Dayan. Apparently I hit a nerve.
                          I think the bigger question is why do you hate Polys like Tonga?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                            I think the bigger question is why do you hate Polys like Tonga?
                            He should be required to go live in the Pacific islands for a time. You know, sensitivity training.
                            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Bump?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                                Bump?
                                [emoji41]

Comment

Working...
                                X