Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 91 to 112 of 112

Thread: Fire Kalani

  1. #91

    Default

    Comparison time over the past 20 years:

    BSU has finished top 25 - 12 times, 3 Fiesta bowl wins, 12-6 bowl games
    BYU has finished top 25 - 6 times, no BCS appearances, 7-8 bowl games

  2. #92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fusnik View Post
    Comparison time over the past 20 years:

    BSU has finished top 25 - 12 times, 3 Fiesta bowl wins, 12-6 bowl games
    BYU has finished top 25 - 6 times, no BCS appearances, 7-8 bowl games
    Why is bsu being better relevant to the competence of kalani

  3. #93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Why is bsu being better relevant to the competence of kalani
    To show where BYU realistically sits in the football landscape. BYU is a step below BSU and programs less than BSU aren’t firing coaches 3 years into their tenure when they are taking 2 out of 3 teams to bowl games.

    BYU is performing in line with their schedule. If they were grossly underperforming their schedule fire the dude but he isn’t.

    Let’s say they fire him, now what?

    Who can you convince to come to BYU?

    Bevell? Hasn’t recruited in 20 years
    Anderson? Has a pretty awesome gig already
    Hill? He ain’t coming

  4. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fusnik View Post
    To show where BYU realistically sits in the football landscape. BYU is a step below BSU and programs less than BSU aren’t firing coaches 3 years into their tenure when they are taking 2 out of 3 teams to bowl games.

    BYU is performing in line with their schedule. If they were grossly underperforming their schedule fire the dude but he isn’t.

    Let’s say they fire him, now what?

    Who can you convince to come to BYU?

    Bevell? Hasn’t recruited in 20 years
    Anderson? Has a pretty awesome gig already
    Hill? He ain’t coming
    If you think losing to umass, niu, getting killed twice by usu, being 1-5 to instate rivals, and having the worst season in 40 years isn't underperforming, why even be a fan of a team you don't expect more from?

    Hill wouldn't leave Weber state? Lol. Please. Worst case, we get another coach capable of losing to UMass at home.


    Somehow we avoided such incompetence for 40 years , but now it's too much to ask? Come on now.

  5. #95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    If you think losing to umass, niu, getting killed twice by usu, being 1-5 to instate rivals, and having the worst season in 40 years isn't underperforming, why even be a fan of a team you don't expect more from?

    Hill wouldn't leave Weber state? Lol. Please. Worst case, we get another coach capable of losing to UMass at home.
    NIU is a decent comp.

    Past 20 years 4 top 25 finishes, one BCS bowl game, 4-8 bowl games.

    Not surprising NIU would beat BYU.

    As for Hill, I would be shocked if he went to BYU. He’s creating something legit special in Ogden and has a much higher ceiling than BYU at this point. Plus he played and coached at Utah, why wouldn’t be eye that job?

  6. #96
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    This is false. The exception for a scholarship football player at BYU is that they need to meet the NCAA requirements. That is all. I don't care what has been said on the radio or can be found in an article online. I laugh at this narrative. Yes, I have inside knowledge on this situation and I trust this individual. Once they are in, the academic requirements are very demanding.


    If I had a nickel for every insider that gave bullet proof information, I'd be able to buy BYU into the Big 12. I don't doubt you have insider info (obviously you'd be a guy that would) but the chances your info is correct or complete are very, very low.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  7. #97
    Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Posts
    4,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    This is false. The exception for a scholarship football player at BYU is that they need to meet the NCAA requirements. That is all. I don't care what has been said on the radio or can be found in an article online. I laugh at this narrative. Yes, I have inside knowledge on this situation and I trust this individual. Once they are in, the academic requirements are very demanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post


    If I had a nickel for every insider that gave bullet proof information, I'd be able to buy BYU into the Big 12. I don't doubt you have insider info (obviously you'd be a guy that would) but the chances your info is correct or complete are very, very low.
    Unless something has changed recently, Hot Lunch's comments are accurate. I know of a couple of players that BYU wanted and signed and know for a fact that they didn't meet the 3.0 GPA/25 ACT (or whatever the criteria). Obviously, they met NCAA eligibility requirements. Maybe those players counted as exceptions and BYU is not allowed to have an entire recruiting class of exceptions. But if BYU wants someone who is NCAA eligible, they can offer/sign him.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

  8. #98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fusnik View Post
    NIU is a decent comp.

    Past 20 years 4 top 25 finishes, one BCS bowl game, 4-8 bowl games.

    Not surprising NIU would beat BYU.

    As for Hill, I would be shocked if he went to BYU. He’s creating something legit special in Ogden and has a much higher ceiling than BYU at this point. Plus he played and coached at Utah, why wouldn’t be eye that job?
    Niu is one of multiole points. But if you think 4 and 9 last year isnt underperforming and dessrves an extension , then might as well not have any expectations at all.

  9. #99

    Default

    Points taken, but Kalani is 100 times more likeable than Gary Crowton was so it's harder for me to jump on the fire Kalani bandwagon. I was off Crowton's bandwagon before his first year was done. He was a real nut. But yes, something isn't working right. I still think we have a serious talent problem along with coaching miscues.
    Last edited by BlueK; 11-27-2018 at 08:13 AM.

  10. #100
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Points taken, but Kalani is 100 times more likeable than Gary Crowton was so it's harder for me to jump on the fire Kalani bandwagon. I was off Crowton's bandwagon before his first year was done. He was a real nut. But yes, something isn't working right. I still think we have a serious talent problem along with coaching miscues.
    We can, and must, get better. But I think we're not so far off.

    Think of how different this all feels if we pick up four additional yards against Boise State and a field goal against Utah. Suddenly we are 8-4, going 2-1 against our biggest rivals, and we're looking for a building to name after Kalani and worrying that Grimes will leave us. Of course, that's not what happened; our offense in particular sputtered when we needed it to run. But how surprising is that lack of consistency after a complete overhaul of the offensive staff and a core group of players who are all freshmen? There is good reason to expect this group will get there.

    And by the way, let's revisit the narrative on recruiting. Yes, our recruiting rankings from last year were abysmal. But after a year where so many freshmen from that abysmal class turned out to be key contributors-- including our team's best QB, RB, WR, and several linemen-- can we agree that, while maybe nothing to hang banners about, the recruiting class from last year was at least underrated?
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  11. #101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Unless something has changed recently, Hot Lunch's comments are accurate. I know of a couple of players that BYU wanted and signed and know for a fact that they didn't meet the 3.0 GPA/25 ACT (or whatever the criteria). Obviously, they met NCAA eligibility requirements. Maybe those players counted as exceptions and BYU is not allowed to have an entire recruiting class of exceptions. But if BYU wants someone who is NCAA eligible, they can offer/sign him.
    I have no inside information and I don't know anyone at BYU. But I do know that most high school football players who have D-1 potential do not meet those criteria. I also follow recruiting somewhat closely and have noticed that BYU (like Utah) offers all of the best instate kids. Maybe Utah public education has changed since I attended, but I highly doubt that all of the top talent in Utah is meeting those GPA/ACT cut-offs.

  12. #102

    Default

    I've never heard of a single recruit that we wanted and wanted us, that got denied due to academic issues where the athlete met the minimum NCAA standards. I've heard this argument a lot that we have higher academic standards and it hurts us. But if that were the case, I think we'd hear every year several guys that were in this situation.

  13. #103
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I have no inside information and I don't know anyone at BYU. But I do know that most high school football players who have D-1 potential do not meet those criteria. I also follow recruiting somewhat closely and have noticed that BYU (like Utah) offers all of the best instate kids. Maybe Utah public education has changed since I attended, but I highly doubt that all of the top talent in Utah is meeting those GPA/ACT cut-offs.
    Which is where the exceptions come in. However, kids that would be an exception are put on an academic plan. Moose Bingham said they lose some recruits because of this. They're just wanting to play football and not have to go through all that. Like Utah, BYU offers many of the top kids early to get in the door but just because they had an offer doesn't mean it is still valid later. Sometimes it's due to need, academics, whatever.

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    I've never heard of a single recruit that we wanted and wanted us, that got denied due to academic issues where the athlete met the minimum NCAA standards. I've heard this argument a lot that we have higher academic standards and it hurts us. But if that were the case, I think we'd hear every year several guys that were in this situation.
    There are several recruits that fall off every year because of academics. Amone Finau, Nate Latu, Chuck Alatini this year. Moose said if the kid is good enough they will do everything they can to get him in. As CJ mentioned earlier, Garrett Bolles was an example of that. So what you say is true, but they are limited and vary in number each year. And in 3 years as on-site recruiting coordinator Moose said the number was less than 10 each year.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  14. #104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Which is where the exceptions come in. However, kids that would be an exception are put on an academic plan. Moose Bingham said they lose some recruits because of this. They're just wanting to play football and not have to go through all that. Like Utah, BYU offers many of the top kids early to get in the door but just because they had an offer doesn't mean it is still valid later. Sometimes it's due to need, academics, whatever.



    There are several recruits that fall off every year because of academics. Amone Finau, Nate Latu, Chuck Alatini this year. Moose said if the kid is good enough they will do everything they can to get him in. As CJ mentioned earlier, Garrett Bolles was an example of that. So what you say is true, but they are limited and vary in number each year. And in 3 years as on-site recruiting coordinator Moose said the number was less than 10 each year.
    I'd like more information on this. I don't follow the program as closely as I did 20 years ago, but I can say with near certainty this was not the case back then. When did the change come and why and why was it not more publicized? I don't think any college football programs work with this "exception" concept, do they? Maybe Ivy League but not programs that compete. I never heard of it before. The minimum is the minimum.

  15. #105
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    I'd like more information on this. I don't follow the program as closely as I did 20 years ago, but I can say with near certainty this was not the case back then. When did the change come and why and why was it not more publicized? I don't think any college football programs work with this "exception" concept, do they? Maybe Ivy League but not programs that compete. I never heard of it before. The minimum is the minimum.
    https://player.fm/series/106059/221544351

    It's the last 15 minutes or so of the hour when he talks the academic restrictions. But Hot Lunch will tell you not to believe it.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  16. #106

    Default

    kalani isn't going anywhere at least until after next year. and i think at that point there will be clearer consensus regarding whether he should stay or go.

    i wouldn't mind if he pulled a whittingham and dismissed grimes after one year, however.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  17. #107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    kalani isn't going anywhere at least until after next year. and i think at that point there will be clearer consensus regarding whether he should stay or go.

    i wouldn't mind if he pulled a whittingham and dismissed grimes after one year, however.
    you really want him to, even if he just promoted roderick?

  18. #108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    you really want him to, even if he just promoted roderick?
    hell no. go out and get somebody good.

    though i'd take my chances with Fesi over Grimes.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  19. #109
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    hell no. go out and get somebody good.

    though i'd take my chances with Fesi over Grimes.
    Take this to the Speasy.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  20. #110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Take this to the Speasy.
    lol.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  21. #111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    I'd like more information on this. I don't follow the program as closely as I did 20 years ago, but I can say with near certainty this was not the case back then. When did the change come and why and why was it not more publicized? I don't think any college football programs work with this "exception" concept, do they? Maybe Ivy League but not programs that compete. I never heard of it before. The minimum is the minimum.
    If you don't follow recruiting, you would have no idea why a kid doesn't end up at BYU. Remember BYU can not publicly comment on any kid that has not signed an LOI. So when they are committed for 18 months, their entire twitter timeline is BYU, and all of the sudden they reopen their recruitment, and end up at New Mexico State or UNLV. Generally it means BYU pulled their offer. If they reopen and end up at a legit P5, ok they blew up late and truly wanted to go somewhere else.

    But a lot of these kids are offered early, they don't develop or don't get the grades throughout high school. BYU decides they are not worth the risk of using an exception or maybe they just are not D-1 caliber.

    Chuck Alatini is a prime example, he was a 4 star as a freshman. Primed to be one of the top recruits in state history. He leaves Orem and heads to Timpview, but doesn't get grades and he sits for a season and a half. Finally gets eligible his senior year, and grades post before the playoffs and he again he is failing.

    At this point BYU has backed off, and it is not worth the fight to get him in.

    Nathan Latu same thing. He was a big time recruit, his twin bro ended up at Bama. Nathan couldn't get the grades high enough to get in. But he would have been fine at plenty of other schools.


    It happens more than you think, but BYU can't comment on it.

    However, lets not pretend that a 5 star kid is not going to get in if he meets the minimum NCAA eligibility. Moose Bingham admitted that, said that Bolles was dumber than dog shit but he was getting in no matter what.
    *Banned*

  22. #112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    If you don't follow recruiting, you would have no idea why a kid doesn't end up at BYU. Remember BYU can not publicly comment on any kid that has not signed an LOI. So when they are committed for 18 months, their entire twitter timeline is BYU, and all of the sudden they reopen their recruitment, and end up at New Mexico State or UNLV. Generally it means BYU pulled their offer. If they reopen and end up at a legit P5, ok they blew up late and truly wanted to go somewhere else.

    But a lot of these kids are offered early, they don't develop or don't get the grades throughout high school. BYU decides they are not worth the risk of using an exception or maybe they just are not D-1 caliber.

    Chuck Alatini is a prime example, he was a 4 star as a freshman. Primed to be one of the top recruits in state history. He leaves Orem and heads to Timpview, but doesn't get grades and he sits for a season and a half. Finally gets eligible his senior year, and grades post before the playoffs and he again he is failing.

    At this point BYU has backed off, and it is not worth the fight to get him in.

    Nathan Latu same thing. He was a big time recruit, his twin bro ended up at Bama. Nathan couldn't get the grades high enough to get in. But he would have been fine at plenty of other schools.


    It happens more than you think, but BYU can't comment on it.

    However, lets not pretend that a 5 star kid is not going to get in if he meets the minimum NCAA eligibility. Moose Bingham admitted that, said that Bolles was dumber than dog shit but he was getting in no matter what.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •