Holy War 2018: Feeling Umbrage? Come Kickoff, Utah will too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
    We all knew Utah would make a run. After the pick six, BYU answered and we hoped that maybe this was the year.

Grimes and Kalani got real conservative. I get it. I don't like it but I get it.

Hadley played well with his funky, overly patient running style.

Wilson was a monster.

Corb and my find Isaiah Kaufusi were lights out. (Been lobbying for Isaiah to get more playing time since last year, somehow he was sitting behind Riggs Powell earlier this season)

Tonga also played extremely well.

As usual I was right about most things:

QB- BYU advantage
    RB- Hadley and Shyne had similar numbers, Hadley had more of an impact.
    WR- BYUs did nothing, granted they were without Romney and Hifo.
    TE- BYUs dominated, don't remember a ute tight end doing a thing.
    OL- BYUs O-line held up very well imo. Especially against the pass rush (3 sacks, but at least 1 was on Wilson), Utahs O-line was decent as well.

DL- BYUs D-line played extremely well, I do think Anae was the best D-lineman on the field. Corb gutted it out and did his best.

LB- Takitaki and Kaufusi were amazing. Hansen is very good. The difference becomes depth. Bernard is BYUs 2nd best linebacker and he is 2nd/3rd string at Utah. After Kaufusi went out BYU is stuck playing Matt Criddle who would not start at Lone Peak. He was horrendous.

DB- I was right, the rest of you can eff off. BYUs secondary is damn good. Dayan was the best DB on the field. They are also extremely young.

Special teams: FG DEFENSE BITCHES!!!

Give Utah credit, the D stepped up and got huge stops. The missed XP was huge, as BYU was forced to go for it on 4th and 1 trailing by 1 instead of punting it away tied. The 3rd and 9 draw to Burt was awful. Kalani decided to rely on his defense and they were to tired, beat up, and out executed down the stretch to hold on.

Open the season with Utah next year, I expect another competitive game. JIC I love you. Funk, ESAD.
    Are you the same CJ who wrote that BYU could go 2-10 next year in the Fire Kalani thread?

Comment

We all knew Utah would make a run. After the pick six, BYU answered and we hoped that maybe this was the year.

Grimes and Kalani got real conservative. I get it. I don't like it but I get it.

Hadley played well with his funky, overly patient running style.

Wilson was a monster.

Corb and my find Isaiah Kaufusi were lights out. (Been lobbying for Isaiah to get more playing time since last year, somehow he was sitting behind Riggs Powell earlier this season)

Tonga also played extremely well.

As usual I was right about most things:

QB- BYU advantage
      RB- Hadley and Shyne had similar numbers, Hadley had more of an impact.
      WR- BYUs did nothing, granted they were without Romney and Hifo.
      TE- BYUs dominated, don't remember a ute tight end doing a thing.
      OL- BYUs O-line held up very well imo. Especially against the pass rush (3 sacks, but at least 1 was on Wilson), Utahs O-line was decent as well.

DL- BYUs D-line played extremely well, I do think Anae was the best D-lineman on the field. Corb gutted it out and did his best.

LB- Takitaki and Kaufusi were amazing. Hansen is very good. The difference becomes depth. Bernard is BYUs 2nd best linebacker and he is 2nd/3rd string at Utah. After Kaufusi went out BYU is stuck playing Matt Criddle who would not start at Lone Peak. He was horrendous.

DB- I was right, the rest of you can eff off. BYUs secondary is damn good. Dayan was the best DB on the field. They are also extremely young.

Special teams: FG DEFENSE BITCHES!!!

Give Utah credit, the D stepped up and got huge stops. The missed XP was huge, as BYU was forced to go for it on 4th and 1 trailing by 1 instead of punting it away tied. The 3rd and 9 draw to Burt was awful. Kalani decided to rely on his defense and they were to tired, beat up, and out executed down the stretch to hold on.

Open the season with Utah next year, I expect another competitive game. JIC I love you. Funk, ESAD.
      Credit where credit is due: I had no idea BYU's fg defense was that good! Absolutely astounding. They held Matt "Groza" Gay to zero fgs!!!! Zero! I will not doubt CJ's analysis of fg defenses ever again.

As for the QBs, I was really impressed by Wilson. Especially his running ability. We lost contain on countless third downs and he was able to scramble for the yards. He is deceptively elusive and legitimately fast. He still makes WAY too many dangerous throws (the pick 6, at least two passes in the first half that absolutely should have been INTs, even the great catch by Bushman was a very dangerous throw). Hopefully he follows the Tanner Mangum developmental model.
      Shelley is what we thought he was: a dual-threat that doesn't really possess either threat. He reminds me of Brian Johnson, sort of: weak arm (how many overthrows on deep balls did he have?), deceptively slow, but has good "presence". I'm not sure he is the future, but he'll be a nice backup to Tuttle. What's that??? Oh, never mind.

The running backs in this game uniformly stunk. I'm sorry, I don't get all the BYU fans saying that losing Hadley cost BYU the game. The same guy that had 21 carries for a whopping 64 yards? I'm not sure that 3 ypc meets Junkie's requirement for a good college running back. Granted he was better than Mantua's finest, but that is an exceptionally low bar.
      Shyne was equally bad. Averaging 3 ypc is not going to get it done. He had some big runs (the fourth down push against Takitaki being the biggest, but the TD run was awesome as well), but if you rush 15 times your longest run ought to be more than 6 yards. The biggest run of the night was Shelley's endzone scamper which was made possible by BYU's D-line, safeties, and most of the linebackers watching the handoff man and losing sight of the ball.

I agree that BYU lbers played well. We need to get a Kaufusi on staff. That is a family tree that keeps bearing fruit. But I don't think they can be said to be as strong as Utah's LBers. That's nothing against BYU, but Utah's stregnth as a team this year is in its linebackers. Hansen should get player of the year in the PAC, and Barton (amazingly) has been step by step with him. Barton has always been tough on the run but he has REALLY improved his coverage skills from last year to this one. I'll miss them both next year.

I LOVE the rivalry game. Long may it live.
      Last edited by Applejack; 11-27-2018, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• The Pick 6 was not a poor throw. It was the result of Grimes allowing himself to get predictable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn7zDQGUqc0

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
          The Pick 6 was not a poor throw. It was the result of Grimes allowing himself to get predictable.

That was a lazy route by Pau.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
            The Pick 6 was not a poor throw. It was the result of Grimes allowing himself to get predictable.

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
            That was a lazy route by Pau.
            Yeah, it wasn't a great route or call. But Zach also puts the ball where on Julian Blackmon can get it.

I think Zach is good and all those dangerous throws are freshman mistakes. Here's hoping to three years of Kalani development!

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
              Credit where credit is due: I had no idea BYU's fg defense was that good! Absolutely astounding. They held Matt "Groza" Gay to zero fgs!!!! Zero! I will not doubt CJ's analysis of fg defenses ever again.

As for the QBs, I was really impressed by Wilson. Especially his running ability. We lost contain on countless third downs and he was able to scramble for the yards. He is deceptively elusive and legitimately fast. He still makes WAY too many dangerous throws (the pick 6, at least two passes in the first half that absolutely should have been INTs, even the great catch by Bushman was a very dangerous throw). Hopefully he follows the Tanner Mangum developmental model.
              Shelley is what we thought he was: a dual-threat that doesn't really possess either threat. He reminds me of Brian Johnson, sort of: weak arm (how many overthrows on deep balls did he have?), deceptively slow, but has good "presence". I'm not sure he is the future, but he'll be a nice backup to Tuttle. What's that??? Oh, never mind.

The running backs in this game uniformly stunk. I'm sorry, I don't get all the BYU fans saying that losing Hadley cost BYU the game. The same guy that had 21 carries for a whopping 64 yards? I'm not sure that 3 ypc meets Junkie's requirement for a good college running back. Granted he was better than Mantua's finest, but that is an exceptionally low bar.
              Shyne was equally bad. Averaging 3 ypc is not going to get it done. He had some big runs (the fourth down push against Takitaki being the biggest, but the TD run was awesome as well), but if you rush 15 times your longest run ought to be more than 6 yards. The biggest run of the night was Shelley's endzone scamper which was made possible by BYU's D-line, safeties, and most of the linebackers watching the handoff man and losing sight of the ball.

I agree that BYU lbers played well. We need to get a Kaufusi on staff. That is a family tree that keeps bearing fruit. But I don't think they can be said to be as strong as Utah's LBers. That's nothing against BYU, but Utah's stregnth as a team this year is in its linebackers. Hansen should get player of the year in the PAC, and Barton (amazingly) has been step by step with him. Barton has always been tough on the run but he has REALLY improved his coverage skills from last year to this one. I'll miss them both next year.

I LOVE the rivalry game. Long may it live.
              Hadleys numbers don't tell the story. He was huge in pass protection, had a one handed catch to get BYU down to the 1. He was also hit at the line of scrimmage on just about every carry and managed to scamper through for additional yardage.
              *Banned*

Comment

Hadleys numbers don't tell the story. He was huge in pass protection, had a one handed catch to get BYU down to the 1. He was also hit at the line of scrimmage on just about every carry and managed to scamper through for additional yardage.
                NO doubt the kid is shifty in a destitute-man's L'Veon Bell kind of way, I just don't buy that his injury cost BYU the game; he wasn't that good.

Now, you can argue Isaiah Kafusi's injury cost BYU the game and I might listen. Not necessarily because I Kafusi is that good, but rather because the guy that replaced him (#17, I believe) was completely lost out there.

Comment

NO doubt the kid is shifty in a destitute-man's L'Veon Bell kind of way, I just don't buy that his injury cost BYU the game; he wasn't that good.

Now, you can argue Isaiah Kafusi's injury cost BYU the game and I might listen. Not necessarily because I Kafusi is that good, but rather because the guy that replaced him (#17, I believe) was completely lost out there.
                  I agree with you (Weird, right!)

Reasons BYU lost the game, imo.

1. Mental hurdle- you lose to one team 8 times in a row, you have to learn how to win. Even with the fast start, they gave up one or two big plays and you felt the momentum shift. Winning is a learned skill.

2. Depth- I posted this earlier but BYU is replacing Isaiah Kaufusi with Matt Criddle, Utahs 4th-5th best LB was a starter at BYU. Depth was huge in this game. The depth issue came in to play all season for BYU. Losing Hadley hurt during the game, but losing Squally, Katoa, Fonua, Tolutau, Tapusoa, Hoge and Finau before and during the season hurt a lot more. That is 7 running backs BYU lost. Which is why they were forced to play a converted LB/S.

3. DId I mention depth? BYU also lost starting OLB- Zayne Anderson, Starting corner- Chris Wilcox, Starting CB- Trevion Greene, starting D-tackle Tevita Mounga, Starting WRs- Gunnar Romney, Aleva Hifo, Starting TE- MLP all before or during the season. Not to mention all the injuries that piled up after playing a brutal schedule.

4. Utah out excecuted BYU down the stretch. They made second half adjustments and BYU didn't. The pick 6 was a great read, Pau'u ran a lazy route, Utah saw that play multiple times during the game and jumped it. On offense they attacked Matt Criddle (#17) over and over again. They were patient even down 3 scores. Shelley didn't take many deep shots but hit the ones he did (albeit very underthrown balls). Utah also switched up their defense and confused Wilson. They did not press in the first half. It was man to man but no press coverage, gave BYU receivers a free release. Second half, they mixed in press and even some zone. The zone kept Wilson in the pocket.

5. Chase Hansen and Bradlee Anae- eff those guys.

Utah just played better the last 20 minutes. They deserve credit. I hate them, but they deserve some credit.
                  *Banned*

Comment

• chase hansen is simply one of the best athletes i've ever seen come out of Utah HS football. i wished he'd been given a shot at QB, but damn, if he isn't an incredible LBer. i don't watch ute games so while i'd heard about him, i hadn't seen him this year. he blew me away. was the best defensive player on the field.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• Ok, so thoughts on the game.

1. I hadn't seen Hadley play, and I came away impressed. His best attribute is his balance. Second is his patience and vision. He would take hits/tackles and maintain enough balance to fall forward for an extra yard or two. He can't outrun you or run over you, but the other factors made him effective. He reminded me of John White IV in that it never seemed like a defender could square him up and unload. I don't know enough about the other opponents to know whether he would have been more effective than Canada, but against Utah's defense, he was the best back for the job. Canada is a lot like Shyne. Good at hitting an open hole, running over a tackler or two, and good burst in the open field, but poor vision in traffic and a tendency to run into the back of his blockers as often as possible. Utah's defense eats up runners like Canada/Shyne.

2. BYU picked on Bernard's inexperience/lack of discipline, especially in the first half. Because of the 2 TE sets, Utah played more in base 4-3 than 4-2-5 than they had all season. Then either Holker or Bushman (or both) would be split out. Bernard isn't great in coverage so that pulled either Hansen or Barton out into the slot. Utah's run defense is absolutely dependent on every defender playing the correct gap/correct fit. It is why we rarely see a new linebacker have instant success in the defense. Watching in the first half, Bernard was in the wrong gap to start with or tried to play hero ball and left his gap at least 70% of the time. This left decent cutback lane for Hadley to get 4-6 yards, even when the initial dhole was plugged up adequately. This was most evident in the first TD drive and the one right before half. He played more disciplined in the second half, but even though he had decent stats, he was a huge liability on defense in this game.

3. The biggest adjustment on offense that Utah made on their first scoring drive was to insert TJ Green for Shyne, and limit substitutions. This allowed for better pace and kept BYU from subbing in as easily. As I mentioned in point one. Shyne hits either the hole, the tackler in the hole, or the back of his lineman blocking with little discretion. Against BYU's defense, they needed someone who would show a little more patience and allow to the blocks to set up a little better. Green was the answer to that need. The combination of him and Shelley had 7 carries for 38 yards on that drive.

4. Jason Shelley was nails. He didn't force any throws, he stayed calm under pressure, and despite a slow start, absolutely delivered when the team needed it most. Over the last 4 drives he was 9-10 with 88 yards, 1 TD, and had 5 carries for 60 yards, 1 TD. Huntley is clearly the more talented arm, but there is a calm about Shelley that he doesn't have. And for that reason, Shelley seems to exude more confidence on the field, especially under pressure.

5. BYU's FG defense was legit, but it was Utah's XP defense that made a bigger impact on the game!

Finally, it was fantastic to see a clean game played by both sides. Only one turnover each (both resulted in a score negating each other), and only 4 penalties called all game. That made the game more enjoyable to watch, and it moved at a great pace.
                      Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 11-27-2018, 04:54 PM.
                      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                        3. The biggest adjustment on offense that Utah made on their first scoring drive was to insert TJ Green for Shyne, and limit substitutions. This allowed for better pace and kept BYU from subbing in as easily. As I mentioned in point one. Shyne hits either the hole, the tackler in the hole, or the back of his lineman blocking with little discretion. Against BYU's defense, they needed someone who would show a little more patience and allow to the blacks to set up a little better. Green was the answer to that need. The combination of him and Shelley had 7 carries for 38 yards on that drive.
                        :yikes:

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                        4. Jason Shelley was nails. He didn't force any throws, he stayed calm under pressure, and despite a slow start, absolutely delivered when the team needed it most. Over the last 4 drives he was 9-10 with 88 yards, 1 TD, and had 5 carries for 60 yards, 1 TD. Huntley is clearly the more talented arm, but there is a calm about Shelley that he doesn't have. And for that reason, Shelley seems to exude more confidence on the field, especially under pressure.
                        Deserves an asterisk as it coincides with Criddle replacing I. Kaufusi.

5. BYU's FG defense was legit, but it was Utah's XP defense that made a bigger impact on the game!
                        How do you figure? It's a swing of 2 points in BYU's favor.

Finally, it was fantastic to see a clean game played by both sides. Only one turnover each (both resulted in a score negating each other), and only 4 penalties called all game. That made the game more enjoyable to watch, and it moved at a great pace.
                        Some of that's on the ref's for swallowing their whistle at times. There were penalties they could have or should have called on both sides. I agree with you that I enjoy the flow of the game better without more penalties and turn-overs.

Comment

• I saw Britain Covey giving fives to BYU players when he was running off the field on punt/kick returns, and it makes me hate him even more.
                          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                            I saw Britain Covey giving fives to BYU players when he was running off the field on punt/kick returns, and it makes me hate him even more.
                            You guys need to let it go. He did absolutely nothing in the game. You should be thanking him (a) for his sportsmanship and (b) for not trying very hard.

Comment

You guys need to let it go. He did absolutely nothing in the game. You should be thanking him (a) for his sportsmanship and (b) for not trying very hard.
                              I’m pretty sure they were patronizing high fives.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                                I’m pretty sure they were patronizing high fives.
                                Now you are analyzing the intent of his sportsmanship?

MORAL HIGH GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X