Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The official diet and nutrition thread

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Just think of all the people who have read the obesity code and have been turned on to intermittent fasting based on my advice and recommendations in this thread. And this is the reward I get!

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Just think of all the people who have read the obesity code and have been turned on to intermittent fasting based on my advice and recommendations in this thread. And this is the reward I get!

lol
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Don't worry, I still think IF is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Don't worry, I still think IF is dumb.
    your mom's dumb.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    your mom's dumb.
    Oh course, she grew up in Idaho.

I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

What did you do to him?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Pardon? Maybe you didn't know this, but: Study finds Idaho is No. 51 smartest state.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

With IF, how important is it to keep the same schedule every day? If I know I'm going to have an early lunch or late dinner, can I just change the 8 hour eating cycle to coincide with that? I'm guessing its probably better to stay consistent. Anyone have any experience with that?

Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    With IF, how important is it to keep the same schedule every day? If I know I'm going to have an early lunch or late dinner, can I just change the 8 hour eating cycle to coincide with that? I'm guessing its probably better to stay consistent. Anyone have any experience with that?
    Not sure what the research says, but I think Lebowski's recap of The Obesity Code said that it doesn't have to be the same thing every day.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    Part of the theory of IF is that insulin resistance/sensitivity plays a key role in obesity. So giving your body long stretches with zero insulin reduces your insulin resistance (increases your sensitivity), leading to weight loss over the long term. Also helps ward off T2 diabetes. Those long stretches also cause your body to drop fat more efficiently.

Given that, I don't think it matters too much how you do it or if you have some variation. For a while I fasted 24 hrs 2X per week. Now I do 16-8 (skip breakfast, confine eating to an 8-hr window) about 5 days per week and that seems easier for me. You have to find something you are comfortable with.

At the same time, you should minimize your sugar, carb, and processed food intake. Proteins and fats help you not feel so hungry.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Part of the theory of IF is that insulin resistance/sensitivity plays a key role in obesity. So giving your body long stretches with zero insulin reduces your insulin resistance (increases your sensitivity), leading to weight loss over the long term. Also helps ward off T2 diabetes. Those long stretches also cause your body to drop fat more efficiently.

Given that, I don't think it matters too much how you do it or if you have some variation. For a while I fasted 24 hrs 2X per week. Now I do 16-8 (skip breakfast, confine eating to an 8-hr window) about 5 days per week and that seems easier for me. You have to find something you are comfortable with.

At the same time, you should minimize your sugar, carb, and processed food intake. Proteins and fats help you not feel so hungry.
    Which is why I took the kids to Tucano's for lunch today (after skipping breakfast).
    - Goatnapper'96

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    Started a new diet this week. Actually, this the first time I've ever formally been on a diet. I would have started it a month ago, but I just got back from two weeks on a cruise ship and didn't want to be watching my food intake with all of the good stuff available to eat. I didn't gain any weight compared to before getting on the ship, though.

All I'm doing for this diet is smaller portions, salads for lunch, and limit the carbohydrates I eat. And generally avoiding snacks in between meals. I'm trying to write down everything that I eat, so that helps me avoid that cookie or corn chip when I'm craving them. I'm also writing down my weight each morning, mainly so I can see if I'm making long term progress. I know that day to day my weight can vary by 2-3 pounds, so no big deal if I'm up a couple of pounds over the previous day.

I'll report back here if this actually works.
    Here's a chart of how it's going so far, with a few notes. I'm half way there. It seems to be getting tougher. Sorry you can't see it without clicking on the link.

I'm now down ten pounds from when I started this. I'm two-thirds of the way to my goal. Progress is slow but steady. There's hope of reaching my final goal.

Probably the biggest help for me has been writing down what I weigh every morning and what I eat each day. I have some kind of snack most afternoons, but I keep those small. I have a salad for lunch pretty much every day and hardly ever have anything else with the salad. Sometimes I'll add a couple of ounces of meat when we have leftovers or a hard boiled egg. And I've cut back on carbohydrates, but don't avoid them altogether. Sometimes I just want a piece of bread. But I've been good to avoid second helpings most of the time.

I'm not going out of my way for exercise. I was going to the YMCA three times a week to use the weight machines, until they closed it for the social distancing thing. I should be regularly walking and riding a bicycle, but there is room for improvement there. Cutting back what I eat is making the biggest difference.

I'm thinking that once I've met my goal I'll have to stick with the food changes from here on out to keep the weight off. But I'll stop keeping a daily log.

IF hasn't done too much for me unless it has simply held greater weight gain at bay. I've been hovering around 235-240 (6'2") for the past few years, and for the first time tipped the scale just over 240 a couple of weeks ago.

I decided I should probably make a change. I have cut out sweets and french fries. I'm trying to eat more fruit and vegetables. I need to up the cardio.

I'm down 4 pounds after a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    IF hasn't done too much for me unless it has simply held greater weight gain at bay. I've been hovering around 235-240 (6'2") for the past few years, and for the first time tipped the scale just over 240 a couple of weeks ago.

I decided I should probably make a change. I have cut out sweets and french fries. I'm trying to eat more fruit and vegetables. I need to up the cardio.

That's a bridge too far.
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    That's a bridge too far.
    I thought it would be as well. But after I made my mind up, it hasn't been that bad. I think the fruit helps my sweet tooth.

it's all about calories in and calories out. if IF isn't working, it's because you are consuming too many calories still. and if that sounds obvious, my point is the only reason it worked for me is that it was a way for me to keep calories down.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

I thought it would be as well. But after I made my mind up, it hasn't been that bad. I think the fruit helps my sweet tooth.
    One thing I've noticed is that the more exercise I do, the less I crave sweets and garbage calories.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    One thing I've noticed is that the more exercise I do, the less I crave sweets and garbage calories.
    That is totally the opposite for me. I find myself eating so much now that I have been at home and exercising more. I am always hungry, though my Star wars cereal want sitting too well this morning while I was running hills.

One good thing is that I have taken my daily 32 oz Dr. Pepper down to one can while at home. That might be helping.

The first few pounds are always easier. I'm pretty well stuck at being down 10 from where I started, with 5 more to go. But yesterday and today I've recorded the lowest weight I've seen so far, so maybe I can get down another pound or two this week.

I've seen too many people who manage to drop a lot of weight on a serious diet, then gain it back after a year or two. I want whatever improvements I can manage to be permanent.

That is totally the opposite for me. I find myself eating so much now that I have been at home and exercising more. I am always hungry, though my Star wars cereal want sitting too well this morning while I was running hills.

One good thing is that I have taken my daily 32 oz Dr. Pepper down to one can while at home. That might be helping.
    Yeah, but you're a freak athlete/runner, so you are different . I run between 12-13 miles a week and bike quite a bit (hoping to start swimming again next week) and I feel like trash when I eat junk food before or after exercising. It's tough because I crave it but I don't eat it a lot because I know it'll make me feel bad. I supplement those cravings with chocolate milk or chocolate protein shakes, which takes the edge off. I've been bouncing around 160lbs for a while now, although I usually like to weigh in after my longer runs, when I can get down to 157 before hydrating...
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

it's all about calories in and calories out. if IF isn't working, it's because you are consuming too many calories still. and if that sounds obvious, my point is the only reason it worked for me is that it was a way for me to keep calories down.
    I definitely agree with your overall point. You can do IF and gain weight.

In general, calories are an oversimplistic metric. Not all calories are created equal.

I definitely agree with your overall point. You can do IF and gain weight.

In general, calories are an oversimplistic metric. Not all calories are created equal.
    Exactly. Some of them taste a lot better than others.
    - Goatnapper'96

That's a fair point. I'm sure I've lowered my caloric intake. I should keep track.

Edit: Just cutting out the junk food should have a huge overall impact. I really ate a ton of that stuff, but just recently cracked 240. I'm actually shocked it didn't happen much sooner.
    Last edited by Bo Diddley; 05-11-2020 at 02:45 PM.

That's a fair point. I'm sure I've lowered my caloric intake. I should keep track.

Edit: Just cutting out the junk food should have a huge overall impact. I really ate a ton of that stuff, but just recently cracked 240. I'm actually shocked it didn't happen much sooner.
    What types/amounts of junk food have you regularly consumed. And remember, it's for science, so be honest.
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    What types/amounts of junk food have you regularly consumed. And remember, it's for science, so be honest.
    When my wife makes a batch of cookies, I eat half of them...the first day. I like the banana split from Dairy Queen. I probably get one once a week. Oreo cookies, Chips Ahoy, chocolate Donettes--these are all regular choices. M&M's, and pretty much anything with sugar in it...I'll eat it till it's gone. Oh yeah, we have a stock of Hershey's chocolate bars for s'mores with the family around our fire out back--I raid those quite often. And if we're out of everything else, and handful of semi sweet chocolate chips goes a long ways...until I need a second handful. All of these things go good with my Coke Zero Sugar. That's right, because I'm watching my caloric intake.

The biggest thing that has helped me avoid this is writing down what I actually eat. Most days there's a "Snack" entry for somewhere between 4:00 and 5:00 in the afternoon when I need something. But there's no way I'll stop at Dairy Queen for a banana split, or Chick-Fil-A for a chocolate milk shake if I have to write it down. The cookies can still be an issue, but we hardly ever have those around to tempt me. Snacks are usually chips and salsa, or crackers, or some nuts and raisins. And I'm still having a salad for lunch pretty much every day. That seems to help too.

When my wife makes a batch of cookies, I eat half of them...the first day. I like the banana split from Dairy Queen. I probably get one once a week. Oreo cookies, Chips Ahoy, chocolate Donettes--these are all regular choices. M&M's, and pretty much anything with sugar in it...I'll eat it till it's gone. Oh yeah, we have a stock of Hershey's chocolate bars for s'mores with the family around our fire out back--I raid those quite often. And if we're out of everything else, and handful of semi sweet chocolate chips goes a long ways...until I need a second handful. All of these things go good with my Coke Zero Sugar. That's right, because I'm watching my caloric intake.
    All of those things you said, those are my favorites, too!
    - Goatnapper'96