No announcement yet.

The official diet and nutrition thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in February, yet another study came out linking diet soda consumption to stroke and heart attacks.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/14/healt...ack/index.html

No explanation of causation, just an association/correlation at this point. But enough of these studies are piling up that the wife and I decided to bite the bullet and go cold turkey. We have been diet soda free for six weeks or so. The transition has been way easier than I thought it would be. Drinking lots of ice water these days - sometimes with cucumber, mint, or lime juice.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Back in February, yet another study came out linking diet soda consumption to stroke and heart attacks.

No explanation of causation, just an association/correlation at this point. But enough of these studies are piling up that the wife and I decided to bite the bullet and go cold turkey. We have been diet soda free for six weeks or so. The transition has been way easier than I thought it would be. Drinking lots of ice water these days - sometimes with cucumber, mint, or lime juice.

1. Drinking Diet Soda.
      2. Opportunity to die a little early.

Win/win here for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        1. Drinking Diet Soda.
        2. Opportunity to die a little early.

Win/win here for me.
        Ha.

Die early or spend many years with slurred speech and your wife or some poor nurse wiping your butt.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Ha.

Die early or spend many years with slurred speech and your wife or some poor nurse wiping your butt.
          OK, good point.

Comment

That CNN article didn't link to the actual study, just to the American Heart Association web site. I couldn't find the article it referenced in the half a minute or so I spent looking for it.

What I see as the important quote from the CNN article is this:
            This study, as well as other research on the connection between diet beverages and vascular disease, is observational and cannot show cause and effect. That's a major limitation, researchers say, as it's impossible to determine whether the association is due to a specific artificial sweetener, a type of beverage or another hidden health issue.
            Every study I've ever looked at related to diet drinks have about this much or less actual proof. Most don't seem to even be able to point at a real study.

Since I'm not obese (nor a black woman), it's unclear what my added risk is. Will taking an 81 mg aspirin every day counteract the increased odds of a stroke?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
              That CNN article didn't link to the actual study, just to the American Heart Association web site. I couldn't find the article it referenced in the half a minute or so I spent looking for it.

What I see as the important quote from the CNN article is this:
              Every study I've ever looked at related to diet drinks have about this much or less actual proof. Most don't seem to even be able to point at a real study.

Since I'm not obese (nor a black woman), it's unclear what my added risk is. Will taking an 81 mg aspirin every day counteract the increased odds of a stroke?
              Yeah, the link in the CNN article is broken. Here is the actual study:

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1...AHA.118.023100

I agree there is a lot of junk science out there. But there is also a body of legit research. This seems to be the most compelling study yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                ....Since I'm not obese (nor a black woman), it's unclear what my added risk is. Will taking an 81 mg aspirin every day counteract the increased odds of a stroke?
                Nope...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rs/3199831002/

Taking a low-dose aspirin every day to prevent a heart attack or stroke is no longer recommended for most older adults, according to guidelines released Sunday.

After doctors said for decades that a daily 75 to 100 milligrams of aspirin could prevent cardiovascular problems, the American College of Cardiology and the American Heart Association just reversed that idea.

This change comes after a large clinical trial found a daily low-dose aspirin had no effect on prolonging life in healthy, elderly people, and actually suggested the pills could be linked to major hemorrhages.

Comment

Paging CardiacCoug... I've been taking a low-dose aspirin for >10 years, motivated by the fact that my mother and her mother had debilitating, and ultimately fatal strokes (heart attacks aren't a thing, though, on my family tree). My GP hasn't pushed me to take aspirin, but he hasn't objected either. I'll ask him if I should stop at my next physical, but wonder if I should stop now.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    Paging CardiacCoug... I've been taking a low-dose aspirin for >10 years, motivated by the fact that my mother and her mother had debilitating, and ultimately fatal strokes (heart attacks aren't a thing, though, on my family tree). My GP hasn't pushed me to take aspirin, but he hasn't objected either. I'll ask him if I should stop at my next physical, but wonder if I should stop now.
                    Yeah, same here. My wife and I both take baby aspirin on the advice of our prior doctor. Just pinged my doctor son to get his take on the article.

Comment

I feel like everything is being reversed. Today I also read eggs are back on the bad list and we should be introducing new foods to babies to counteract food allergies instead of avoiding new foods in the first year to counteract food allergies.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        I feel like everything is being reversed. Today I also read eggs are back on the bad list and we should be introducing new foods to babies to counteract food allergies instead of avoiding new foods in the first year to counteract food allergies.
                        That's just because no one knows what the hell is going on.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          What did you see on eggs? I see nothing but more and more recommendations to eat eggs.

Comment

My wife (a cardiac nurse) read the same study and we also gave up diet drinks cold turkey. I haven't taken to it nearly as well as you have.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

What did you see on eggs? I see nothing but more and more recommendations to eat eggs.
                              This piece on CNN last week bummed me out, but I'm seeking further light and knowledge on the subject. I've been eating between four and ten eggs a week, and I enjoy them very much...

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                This piece on CNN last week bummed me out, but I'm seeking further light and knowledge on the subject. I've been eating between four and ten eggs a week, and I enjoy them very much...
                                How many eggs are in an sausage mcmuffin with egg? [emoji51]

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X