• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
    The article I posted has references.

http://www.insuliniq.com/3-not-so-sw...al-sweeteners/
    Correlation does not equal causation.

That text should read “There is an association between diet soda consumption and metabolic syndrome / type 2 diabetes” not that diet soda increases the risk. That implies a causative link that is totally unproven.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      I followed the links in the citations and I think he is grossly overstating the evidence.
      insuliniq is professor bikman's site, someone in Utah Valley go interview him and clear this up!

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
        Correlation does not equal causation.

That text should read “There is an association between diet soda consumption and metabolic syndrome / type 2 diabetes” not that diet soda increases the risk. That implies a causative link that is totally unproven.
        Fair enough. As Haidt would say, a high correlation should invoke a curiosity to discover what's going on. Maybe Bikman should be working on that.

Comment

I've done 96 hour fasts each month for the last three months, hoping the autophagy will eat my brain wastes, since alzheimers runs in my family. One thing I've noticed is that fasting has lost religious significance for me, since a two-meal fast is for pussies. It's not till 72+ that I start communing with the forces of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            I've done 96 hour fasts each month for the last three months, hoping the autophagy will eat my brain wastes, since alzheimers runs in my family. One thing I've noticed is that fasting has lost religious significance for me, since a two-meal fast is for pussies. It's not till 72+ that I start communing with the forces of nature.

Holy crap. I want some details. How is the hunger? Fatigue? You taking vitamins of some kind? I assume you are dropping some serious weight.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              What are you doing to replace electrolytes?
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                What are you doing to replace electrolytes?
                Electrolytes are for pussies.
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                  Electrolytes are for pussies.
                  She's a chick, dude.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                    Fair enough. As Haidt would say, a high correlation should invoke a curiosity to discover what's going on. Maybe Bikman should be working on that.
                    Sure it might be as simple as that people who drink diet soda daily are more likely to be eating horrible foods from 7-11 and McDonalds with their diet drinks. That’s where a lot of the soda is purchased and they get food with it.

Comment

Kind of off topic, but...

Sunscreen might be killing us.

https://www.outsideonline.com/238075...ign=pockethits
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I don't think that's off-topic at all. Very informative and it particularly hits home with me because someone in my family suffers from an autoimmune disease.

It's always fascinating to read about challenges to scientific orthodoxy.

Comment

I wonder if there isn't something else doing on there as well. My wife always tests as deficient in vitamin D, yet she runs outside for almost 45 minutes a day and never wears sunscreen for that. Maybe we just wear too many clothes.

Comment

I have always been terrible at remembering to put on sunscreen, and that article makes me feel much better about that!

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                              I have always been terrible at remembering to put on sunscreen, and that article makes me feel much better about that!
                              Well, it depends. Seems like sunscreen to prevent a sunburn is still a good thing. Sun burns seem to be the biggest cause of skin cancer. Seems they are advocating for sunlight in small but regular doses (enough to maintain a tan, but not burn).

Comment

Holy crap. I want some details. How is the hunger? Fatigue? You taking vitamins of some kind? I assume you are dropping some serious weight.
                                Sorry just saw this. Will rsvp

Comment

Working...
                                X